Apologies: Better late than never
Hi,

(08-19-2010, 01:33 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: I can perfectly understand what you're saying. However, the "change in attitude" was at least accompanied by new laws being passed concerning the returning of stolen goods and working out some compensation for surviving holocaust members (among other things). As little as it was and as late as it happened, it still beats the policy that went before it. Which was to either ignore the past or mold it into something that was bearable and could be exploited come election time.

I'll take an insincere apology (and I think it was actually heartfelt) any day if it comes with a changed policy and actual attempts at compensation.

I don't doubt the apology was sincere. And, yes, restoration and compensation are good. My point is that while Germany might never persecute Jews again and the USA might never slaughter Native Americans again, I can conceive situations where mobs in Europe (including Germany) are lynching Muslims while their American cousins are doing the same to Latinos.

I think that an apology for what is passed is no reparation for what is present.

Quote:I'll keep looking for the world you describe though anyway, in case it's just around the corner. Smile

And I hope we meet coming around that corner. But read you sig. Wink

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Apologies: Better late than never - by ShadowHM - 08-18-2010, 08:35 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by Jester - 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by --Pete - 08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by Jester - 08-18-2010, 10:49 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by --Pete - 08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by --Pete - 08-19-2010, 02:03 AM