Alabama Plans to Tax Fat Employees to Recoup Insurance Costs
Quote: I guess before we continue with this line of thought, this really begs the question: so what is the cause of obesity? Is it eating unhealthy? Lack of exercise? Diabetes? Because if the cause is 90% food, 10% other, then why not add an extra tax too all food deemed unhealthy by the state? Then not only do you protect and serve your city-workers, but the entire populace of the state. If the issue is 10% food, 90% exercise, then why not mandate bi-daily jogs for city-workers, or even start a state-wide city to city jog-a-thon to raise awareness of an unhealthy lifestyle? Tell me, how does taxing the individual in a select group of workers who happen to have a bad BMI score solve anything?

Well I still don't have a final stance on this topic, but wouldn't it be more fair when you consider free market to let insurers do what they want? If so they will quickly only insure low risk people for a base price and they will ask much higher payments from risk groups.
The only thing the government can do than is make sure that 'bad genes' cannot have you pay more for your insurance....that would be just unfair, even though it is free market thinking.
If not than the possibility is to do what you just mentioned....government banning bad food.
The other option is leave it like it is, but then we shouldnot complain about our high healthcare costs. It is a fact that obesity is unhealthy and that it more and more causes diabetes, and that for most people it can be avoided by a healthy lifestyle. Of course we should make sure there is a healthy alternative, it seems now that obesity is more common in low income households, making this a kind of class problem.

Interesting topic meat....I must say I was getting a bit annoyed by the fact that Kandrathe's last post in the other thread was standing there for 3 days as most recent post on the lounge.:)

Messages In This Thread
Alabama Plans to Tax Fat Employees to Recoup Insurance Costs - by eppie - 09-03-2008, 08:07 AM