Alabama Plans to Tax Fat Employees to Recoup Insurance Costs
Quote:Hi,
Actually, it is fair to ask if it is legal. Just because a law is passed does not mean it will not be overthrown when challenged. However, in this case, given the persecution of smokers as a precedent, they'll probably make it stick. You're free to choose how to live your life as long as all the other monkeys agree.

Jefferson was right. A revolution every few years to remind the assholes that they are public servants, not masters.

--Pete

The legality of Alabama's law will doubtless be determined sooner rather than later. :)

However, I think you miss the point in your reference to Jefferson. Frankly, he who pays the piper should be permitted to call the tune, IMO. If those state employees won't find a way to live healthy, why should the taxpayer who shells out the taxes to pay for those salaries and health insurance be on the hook for their bad decisions?

A BMI of 35 is the stated threshold. :rolleyes: And that, my friend, is not just fat, it is dangerously so! You are free to live your life as you choose as long as you don't expect me to pay for your bad decisions.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Messages In This Thread
Alabama Plans to Tax Fat Employees to Recoup Insurance Costs - by ShadowHM - 09-02-2008, 10:54 PM