The trials of freedom
Goth who walks fiancée on a leash is banned by bus driver who told him: 'No dogs allowed'

Quote:Given that she describes herself as a human pet – and is happy to walk around on a lead – Tasha Maltby is used to odd looks and even odder remarks. But nothing had prepared her for the reaction of the bus driver who allegedly told the self-styled Goth and her boyfriend: "We don't let freaks and dogs like you on." Miss Maltby and her fiance Dani Graves were so angered they have complained to the bus company of being "victimised".
I'm conflicted. Being the son of a woman who had to convince her husband (my father) to allow her to work outside the home, I truly want women to be free. I've tried, to the best of my abilities, to help grow and mentor women in my profession which is male dominated. As a husband, I've tried to enable my wife to pursue her dreams and be supportive of her career, or being a stay at home mother as she chooses. Freedom is to have the ability to get all scuzzy on the weekend, or all dolled up to go out as you feel like it. Freedom is the ability to express yourself as you feel, so long as you don't violate the common laws of the land.

But, I must admit that I have trouble sometimes accepting it when women seek or accept a role of subjugation. Such as a women who pursues a career in prostitution, which when forced is the ultimate humiliation, and when embraced by the woman might perhaps be the ultimate expression of personal power.

In this particular case, with the dog walking goths, I'm on their side and think they are just looking for the reaction they got. Now that they get it, they are shocked. They are not breaking any laws, so people should just ignore them. I'm not sure how I would explain it to my 5 and 7 year old, but then that would be my parenting problem not theirs. I remember when my dad used to drive with the family through downtown past the hookers, my mom used to tell us to cover our eyes until she told us we could look again.

Quote:"It is definitely discrimination, almost like a hate crime," 19-year-old Miss Maltby said yesterday. The music technology student had this defence of her lifestyle. "I am a pet, I generally act animal like and I lead a really easy life," she said. "I don't cook or clean and I don't go anywhere without Dani. It might seem strange but it makes us both happy. It's my culture and my choice. It isn't hurting anyone."
Ok, hate crime is a bit strong. Over here a hate crime is chaining someone to a pickup truck bumper and driving down a dirt road until the chain drags free. Usually, death or felony violence is involved. However, as political correctness marches on, soon a dirty look will be classified as a hate crime. When she says she acts like an animal... Nevermind. Oh, to be young, in art school, in love, and living on public assistance...
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
The trials of freedom - by kandrathe - 01-23-2008, 07:16 AM
The trials of freedom - by Munkay - 01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
The trials of freedom - by Artega - 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
The trials of freedom - by [wcip]Angel - 01-23-2008, 05:08 PM
The trials of freedom - by Hammerskjold - 01-23-2008, 06:07 PM
The trials of freedom - by Nystul - 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
The trials of freedom - by Mithrandir - 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM
The trials of freedom - by Occhidiangela - 01-23-2008, 11:27 PM
The trials of freedom - by Swiss Mercenary - 01-24-2008, 07:00 AM
The trials of freedom - by Jester - 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM