Mods and Performance
I've wondered about this myself. I would imagine that a mod that has to do constant checking of some variable (like XRS for range checking) would cause more of a CPU overhead than something that just displays how much gold you have on your character. IIRC there was a mod made at some point that calculates the CPU usage of each individual mod you have loaded; not sure if it is still maintained though, or even what the name of it was.

I do recall Pitbull having issues with the Aura module and performance at some point. While it may be resolved by now, I switched to AG_Unitframes when 3.0 came out and have been using it happily ever since. Pitbull gave you some pretty insane customization options, but in the end I just didn't need it. AG_UF is actually a lot more customizable now, just not to the extent Pitbull is. I have auras disabled and show the pertinent ones through other mods (TellMeWhen, NeedToKnow, etc.).

Cowtip was nice and I used it for awhile, but it just had so much stuff I never used. I switched to TipTac which seems to do the job very nicely and even allows you to select preset configurations to emulate popular tooltip mods like TinyTip or the default Blizzard ones.

Auctioneer takes up a CRAPLOAD of memory, especially if you've been scanning the AH for awhile. I only have it loaded on my AH alt, and run a little mod that puts the item sell price in my tooltips on all my other characters. I don't think it's too CPU intensive though (aside from its AH scans, but you're not doing that while raiding.... are you?;)), so if you have sufficient RAM then it's probably not a huge performance hit.

I use MikScrollingBattleText instead of Parrot, but each of these mods has a way to throttle the feedback it gives you. I found that option REAL quick the first time I raided with a shadow priest.:) You can set it to only show heals above a certain amount. MSBT allows you to combine like events over a certain period of time. So for example, on my rogue I frequently get combat text that looks like 985 (2 hits), which would have been 2 separate hits that totalled 985 damage as opposed to 2 combat text popups that said 522 and 463. Not sure what the performance benefit is on that, but at least it keeps my screen cleaner in combat.

I have yet to do a long 25-man raid in WotLK, so it remains to be seen how my setup will work (or not work) with my mod configuration. Hopefully better than 5fps, although they sure did bump up the spell details on some classes' spells.

Messages In This Thread
Mods and Performance - by Mordekhuul - 12-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Mods and Performance - by RTM - 12-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Mods and Performance - by Mordekhuul - 12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Mods and Performance - by Lissa - 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Mods and Performance - by Mordekhuul - 12-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Mods and Performance - by PapaSmurf - 12-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Mods and Performance - by Mordekhuul - 12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Mods and Performance - by shoju - 12-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Mods and Performance - by Mordekhuul - 12-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Mods and Performance - by Taelas - 12-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Mods and Performance - by Chesspiece_face - 12-19-2008, 05:58 AM