Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between
Quote:Hi,
Nope. Not 'innocents', 'enemies'. Their status was determined at Pearl Harbor, and confirmed by FDR and congress. If you want to discuss the utility (or maybe 'futility' is a better word) of bombing non-military, non-strategic sites, then this might go somewhere.
Sure. An unfortunate word choice on my part. Civilian non-combatants.
Quote:Again, BS. First show that they are indeed 'taliban and terrorists' and not just random goatherds. Once you've done that, then and only then hold them. It's not the holding, it's the grabbing without need of proof that pisses off those of us who think the USA should stand for something. I just ask that you show that the individual is indeed the enemy before you treat him like one. Not some random bystander, not just someone with a name that kinda sounds like that of an enemy.
Yes, mistakes are made and I'm sure we don't want to waste time and money transporting bystanders and goat herders to Gitmo to discover we made a huge mistake. We have made some mistakes, and we released many if not all the goat herders now. I think part of the issue is that if you grab person XYZ with intel value you want to not let the terrorist network know you have XYZ so you can use the intel before the network scrubs it. The rights for the suspected terrorist or enemy seem to be secondary to defending national security. That is where I understand people have issues. Should any persons civil rights take precedence to national security, and does the President have the right to declare a citizen or alien an enemy of the state? I guess what I'm getting at is that our selection process now is much better than 60 years ago, when a large portion of the Italian, German, and Japanese population (Citizen or not) in the US were treated worse than this group with less cause.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between - by kandrathe - 10-05-2006, 03:30 AM