Cheapest Videogame Character?
Rhydderch Hael,Mar 23 2006, 09:58 PM Wrote:In Starlancer, I remember there's one mission in which a Coalition squadron commander jumps in with his flight of fighters on an attack on your home carrier. Normally, you can blast these boys away and strike them off the 'Wanted List', so to speak, but you have to be quick about it because the leaders start up their hyperjump engines the moment you hit them with the first shot.

This particular squad leader's ship, however, is rendered invincible in the mission script. No matter how much firepower you lay down on him, you'll never get the kill. The kicker is, in the post-mission debrief, your squad commander chastises you for allowing the guy to escape.

Starlancer as a whole was "cheap", though, and is a good source of frustration and ludicrosity.
[right][snapback]105303[/snapback][/right]
Mission 8 made me stop playing Starlancer. Forever.

As you describe, your home carrier is attacked by a Coalition ambush. You and your "wingmates" are dumped out the hanger bay and have to take out a squadron of fighters about one and a half klick behind your carrier. You afterburn over, start laying into the enemy fighters, when you get a message: A torpedo bomber squadron has just popped out about a klick or so at the portside of your carrier, which while you've been scrapping with the first fighter squad has rumbled on ahead a few more klicks. The bomber squadron launches torpedoes straight away, so now you have to double back on yourself to intercept all the torpedoes.

Thanks to the shoddy targetting system, and the fact that if you're not firing a craft with blindfire, you can't hit anything with your main guns. Hitting every torpedo is practically a must, since if about two land home you've got a long flight back to another carrier, whereupon you are executed on arrival for dereliction of duty.

It's damn near impossible to slag every single torpedo in a single pass, and by the time you make a second pass another wave of missiles are launched. If you try and run interference on the bombers, they'll still launch enough missiles to put you out of a home before you can kill one and there's no way in hell you can wipe out the torpedoes then.

If you order your wingmates to attack the bombers while you mop up the missiles, they murmer acknowledgement but in reality they keep on engaging the first wave of forces.

What else did I miss? ... Ohyeah. By the time you actually make it in firing range of the nearest torpedo, their almost smacking into your carrier.

I tried this mission with almost every combination of starfighter and loadout available to me. I then enabled the cheat to access all starfighters and loadouts in the game and tried those. I never once got close to take out every torpedo.

No wonder the Coalition won the war over the Alliance. Most of the Alliance pilots were dumb as a brick and failed to follow orders, and those who did follow orders to the best of their abilities were executed whenever they slipped up.

Screw Starlancer. Freelancer was better.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386

Messages In This Thread
Cheapest Videogame Character? - by Premezilla - 03-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Cheapest Videogame Character? - by jahcs - 03-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Cheapest Videogame Character? - by pakman - 03-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Cheapest Videogame Character? - by Guest - 03-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Cheapest Videogame Character? - by --Pete - 03-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Cheapest Videogame Character? - by SwissMercenary - 03-23-2006, 02:23 AM