THIS SITE HAS BEEN RIPPED
edited
-Griselda
might not
edited
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Well, at least they are hosting the images themselves instead of hotlinking them like the last guys did.
*Blinkblinkandblinksagain*

I wonder if Andrew said more than Angel's quote says. Otherwise it'd be pretty strange for Gris to remove his post yet keep a quoted version of it.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,Jul 23 2005, 02:48 PM Wrote:I wonder if Andrew said more than Angel's quote says.  Otherwise it'd be pretty strange for Gris to remove his post yet keep a quoted version of it.
[right][snapback]84111[/snapback][/right]

That was the whole post.
NiteFox,Jul 23 2005, 11:48 AM Wrote:*Blinkblinkandblinksagain*

I wonder if Andrew said more than Angel's quote says.  Otherwise it'd be pretty strange for Gris to remove his post yet keep a quoted version of it.
[right][snapback]84111[/snapback][/right]

No, that's what happens when I edit a post right after waking up in the morning. Thanks for the reminder.
Griselda,Jul 23 2005, 06:52 PM Wrote:No, that's what happens when I edit a post right after waking up in the morning.  Thanks for the reminder.

May I ask a question in all innocence? What did the poster do to get banned? I understand that once the mods know the link to said website, they can deal with it as needed, without a link to the site. But what was wrong about him blowing the whistle on it? Was it felt that he was attempting to lead people to the site? If you don't mind I'd appreciate a quick explanation, just to clarify. I trust the mod team we have here very much, I'm just trying to understand!

Cheers,

Munk

Ps. Feel free to edit my post if you send by PM.
Munkay,Jul 23 2005, 11:38 PM Wrote:May I ask a question in all innocence?  What did the poster do to get banned?  I understand that once the mods know the link to said website, they can deal with it as needed, without a link to the site.  But what was wrong about him blowing the whistle on it?  Was it felt that he was attempting to lead people to the site?  If you don't mind I'd appreciate a quick explanation, just to clarify.  I trust the mod team we have here very much, I'm just trying to understand!

Cheers,

Munk

Ps.  Feel free to edit my post if you send by PM.
[right][snapback]84121[/snapback][/right]

Actually, thanks for pointing this out. I have been in a bit of a daze today. Let me walk you through how this happened.

I get an email every time a new user registers. This is often my first warning that something is up, because I can often spot problems right there. When soomeone registers as "BOLTYH8ER" or "FREEHACKSNWAREZ", I know about it right away, even if I haven't checked the forums yet.

In today's case, I saw that someone had registered two almost identical usernames back-to-back. That's a red flag- usually it means that somebody has tried to register with a fake email address. That's not necessarily trouble, but that person bears watching for a little bit.

I checked out this user's profile, and saw that they had one post- a thread they'd created in the Lounge. When someone registers and immediately creates a thread in the Lounge, that's also a red flag. Most "legit" members read threads, post replies, or at least post in a gaming forum first.

So, I wanted to see Andrew's thread. The title was in all caps (also usually not a good sign), it contained a link (uh oh), and had something to do with something being ripped.

Most of the people who get banned from here have every one of those warning signs. I must have turned the auto-moderator on at this point.

I did follow the link in Andrew's post to see what the thread was about, but by the time I got there, it seemed to be down. All I got was a SQL error, even when I went to the site's root.

For some reason, I was thinking it was an ad for a site that has "ripped" files. In fact, it wasn't until Munkay's post that I realized it must have been referring to a "rip" of the Lounge itself. (Yes, I saw DeeBee's post, but my brain was off).

I have gone ahead an unbanned Andrew. He is welcome to come back and speak for himself if he chooses (most banned users can read the Lounge forum but not post here), or just come back and be a "regular" member. It looks like I never did have a cause to ban him, although I do think he could have been more clear in his post.

I made a mistake. Thanks for being polite in your response to me.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,Jul 24 2005, 02:25 AM Wrote:I made a mistake.  Thanks for being polite in your response to me.
Griselda made a mistake! You mean she's not a perfect robot administrator?!

Well here's a cheers for being human :).

Cheers,

Munk
Polite? I haven't mooned you yet Gris.

[Image: moonphoto.jpg]

:D
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
It's better to ban one innocent than to let ten 1337-speakers roam free on the Lounge ;)

Also, I'm totally with Munkay in his "wait, is Griselda only slightly perfect? I refuse to believe!"-stance. :P
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Munkay,Jul 24 2005, 11:59 AM Wrote:Griselda made a mistake!  You mean she's not a perfect robot administrator?![right][snapback]84140[/snapback][/right]

Actually, she is. It's just that making an occassional 'mistake' is 17.397% more likely to convince us that she's a normal human being. :wacko:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]