Living to 150 or so...
(07-22-2010, 08:03 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Additionally, my crystal ball says this is another route to hell for the rest of humanity who won't qualify for the 'cures, treatments, processes'. Dodgy
With an infinite amount of time to pay back the loan, anything may be affordable.
(07-22-2010, 08:03 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: And that almost certainly precludes most of those who might otherwise afford the treatment. Rolleyes
Yeah, those rich enough to afford the treatments, but not so foolish as to glut themselves upon their own wealth.
Pete Wrote:The number of issues wrapped around this concept are vast, including population control, economic control, etc.
I was thinking about that as well; if this is on the horizon, we should begin thinking about the implications of undying populations, multi-generational compounded wealth, retirement at age 65...
Pete Wrote:I simply claim we probably have the intelligence to do it. I do not claim that we have the wisdom to do it right.
Yes, I agree, we'll probably flub this one up big time.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

It's been a few months since I've read [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near] but it's probably the first time I actually considered the possibility that I'd live together. I've always hoped I could achieve immortality - not believing in an afterlife can have this effect on people - and being an science geek there are things billions of light years away I'd like to experience first hand. If the universe is anything near what we think it might be then it would be a long long time before I found myself bored if I could be out exploring the stars. Also, it wouldn't be so terrible to transcend into something like a matrioshka brain or something analogous. About the only thing I find more frightning than my existence abruptly ending an me ceasing to exist for the rest of the eternity is the though of being trapped and only able to observe for the rest of time.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
There's nothing that frightens me more than the thought of my consciousness ending. I'd rather be bored from here on out to eternity.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Hi,

(07-29-2010, 10:12 PM)Taelas Wrote: There's nothing that frightens me more than the thought of my consciousness ending. I'd rather be bored from here on out to eternity.

Nothing? How about the briar patch? Wink

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I'm fairly sure that you were be irrevocably insane after the first millenia if all you could do is observe. Tbh if you die and your consciousness just end at least you won't be bothered by anything anymore.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
(07-24-2010, 08:25 AM)--Pete Wrote: Or the way I am now... unable to read more than a little at a time and even that penetrating slowly?

What is discouraging is when you realize you will never improve, that things are only going to go downhill...

... and you know that in 10 or 15 years, if you're still alive, you'll be looking back to the current time and saying:
"alas! they were happier times back then, during my 'penetrating slowly' days".

-V

(remark dealing with bouts of morning stiffness held for upcoming handling)

(too soon?)
Hi,

(08-04-2010, 04:07 AM)Vandiablo Wrote: What is discouraging is when you realize you will never improve, that things are only going to go downhill...

... and you know that in 10 or 15 years, if you're still alive, you'll be looking back to the current time and saying:
"alas! they were happier times back then, during my 'penetrating slowly' days".

Ah, but in my case, I still have hope Smile Germany and Italy will once again ally, the war will be over and the healing begin. This year, walking. Next, skiing and golf. And if not then, then the year after.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?