The Lurker Lounge Forums
Guild Wars demo - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Guild Wars demo (/thread-8845.html)

Pages: 1 2

Guild Wars demo - Thecla - 04-21-2004

It will be available while E3 is on, May 12-14:

http://www.guildwars.com/press/pr02-04-19-04.html

Guild Wars demo - vor_lord - 04-21-2004

Beat me to it :P

FYI, this is another game from ex-Blizzard developers. It's an MMORPG with no monthly fee and some promising concepts.

I'll be trying out the demo. Since I couldn't get into the WOW beta...

Guild Wars demo - TaiDaishar - 04-22-2004

Wow, that's one heck of a risky move, practically making an Open Alpha...

Guild Wars demo - vor_lord - 04-22-2004

Yes... I hope it's not an expression of desperation :(

Guild Wars demo - ceolstan - 04-23-2004

I have been very interested in this game.

The great thing about D2 is its instant rewards. I can go online and make "progress" in a mere 20 minutes. The addictive quality of the game derives not only from the perception that one constantly progresses, but also that the next goal is just in sight. Furthermore, D2 has a fairly shallow learning curve for basic competence. Once we factor in certain technical factors (skill selection and synergies, among others), we get a fairly sophisticated game that offers a lot of playing combinations.

I hope that Guild Wars holds the same kind of promises, but manages to put them in an MMORPG environment that offers more depth than that of D2.

This would be exciting.

I've got the demo dates circled on my calendar. My cable bill is paid up. :)

--ceolstan

Guild Wars demo - Thecla - 04-23-2004

Yup, it does sound interesting, though I don't quite know what to expect.

On the one hand, Arenanet advertises as the selling point of the game competetive guild-oriented play, which doesn't appeal to me personally.

On the other hand, a lot of the description makes Guild Wars sound much more like a slightly MMORPGish version of Diablo, which might actually be much better than a full-blown MMORPG like WoW.

Guild Wars demo - Artega - 04-24-2004

Figures that I won't have my new rig pieced together by that point. Oh, well. Been waiting six years for a new rig; I guess I can miss a few more major games :)

Guild Wars demo - Jim - 04-24-2004

Hi

I think you all know by now I play alot of Beta & Demo games. :D

Quote:From May 12 through 14, while Guild Wars is being demonstrated on the E3 show floor, players from around the world will be able to play the same experience over the Internet. This will give you a chance to take part in an E3 demonstration, something that is usually offered only to industry insiders!

How to be part of the Guild Wars E3 Experience:

Gamers can obtain the Guild Wars E3 demo client from the following sources:

PC Gamer - June Issue cover demo CD [I will check my mail box tomorrow]  ;)
GameSpot - Link to be announced
Official Guild Wars Website - Link to be announced
Other partners will be announced as we move closer to the event date.

How to be part of the Guild Wars E3 Experience

Guild Wars demo - Taem - 04-25-2004

Thecla,Apr 21 2004, 12:37 AM Wrote:It will be available while E3 is on, May 12-14:

http://www.guildwars.com/press/pr02-04-19-04.html
That’s great! You know I'll be giving it a try around E3. I'm wondering if it's a 2-day online thing, coinciding with E3, or if it’s a somewhat permanent beta where I can now play on their servers in alpha mode?

Anyways, that and The Dark 5.0 are the two things I'm really looking forward to.

Brings me to a way off-topic thought however. I've always hated MMORPG's BECAUSE of the non-death factor. Recently, my friend has been lending me his manga of Blade of the Immortal and mentioned that the series was "old" and the "same old thing." After further discussion, we came to the conclusion that because of the main characters immortality, or inability to die, the manga series seems rather pointless since the main character really has nothing to worry about. It would seem other’s agree as apparently that particular series is not as popular as many other mangas, yet has fantastic art and a good story. Which leads me to my main point in this rant: The inability to die greatly reduces the re-playability of MMORPG's, IMO. If you can't die, then what the hell is the point of the game? At least that's what I always find myself asking. And the thing that irritates me the most is that this friend of mine is trying like the dickens to get me to play Stars Wars Galaxies, but tells me how stupid it is that you respawn with all your gear without any logical repercussion, however your items will degrade slightly from this. Sure you can pay a cloning facility, but why bother because you'll respawn with all your gear anyways. Sad and pointless, if you ask me. I just wish they'd put a ‘Hardcore’ option in all MMORPG's, or perhaps a separate realm for them. Until they do, I don't think I'll ever bother playing another MMORPG again.

Guild Wars demo - Jim - 04-25-2004

Hi

Each MMORPG handles death in a diff way. Some take XP, some just make you weak for a brief period time, most have you Dorp items either in your inventory or on your toon... Asherons Call 1 does both, you get weak, your weak till you earn a certain amount XP & you drop your High priced Items, but no XP loss [which I can live with] :D

As far as Hardcore...that would not work in a MMORPG, imagine spending 4 years building a character & Poof gone because of Death "I don't think so" besides it's an on-going world if you loss your toon to death "You'll never get to see the other side of the rainbow, you'll just play in the newbie zone for years...note: MMORPG are alot of Fun & death is 1/2 the fun ;)

Also keep in mind the Monsters you killed have Re-spawned and are waiting for your return to kill you Again, that is "Hardcore" because now you have to fight your way to your body, and now your weak & 1/2 Naked [I have extra armor in my apartment storage] in some dungeons that means you'll need a friend to help you recover your body :D

If Hardcore is a selling point for you, when you die Delete your character :P

edit: ps: Safe Hunting ;)

Guild Wars demo - Taem - 04-25-2004

Quote:As far as Hardcore...that would not work in a MMORPG, imagine spending 4 years building a character & Poof gone because of Death

LoL. Your arguments are the same as many others I've heard, and half filled IMO. What your saying is true to you and maybe even most of the entire planet, but not for me and a small handful of people who can't stand an "official" hardcore, not some delete your character whenever you pass on type crap.

Can I imagine it? Yes! I played Everquest for a good 3 months, riding on their 'free' way express and I think I honestly hated every moment of it. Was quite sad actually, only playing because I had it free for three months from some deal for buying it and two expansions. I dont even remember what character level I got up too, but when my free subscribtion time was about to run out, it was major delete time, for the entire game!

I don't expcet you to understand the way I think. GF Frasier certianly could not, and a lot of my friends cannot. You people who can't comprehend why someone would want their characters to be able to die even after putting in months or even years of their time into these characters will never understand people like me, plain and simple. I've tried talking to these friends about why I like hardcore, and my conversations have been less than fruitful.

All I'm asking for is an option for the small handful of us that prefer hardcore to be available in all MMORGP's!

EDIT - two spelling errors that made a big difference! Should of proof-read :P .

Guild Wars demo - Walkiry - 04-25-2004

I play Nethack...

That's all.

Guild Wars demo - Jim - 04-29-2004

Hi

MEAT Posted on Apr 25 2004, 04:18 AM
EDIT - two spelling errors that made a big difference! Should of proof-read :o

Quote:I have Easy Office, since I don't have MS office...EO has "Easy Speller" and within that app...
"Check spelling of select Text from Other Program"  this allows me to spell check forum text before I post it :D

Easy Office is FREE
Quote:GameSpy Preview of GW...By Dave Kosak | Apr. 28, 2004

With awe-inspiring graphics, a unique gameplay mechanic, and no monthly fees, Guild Wars is a massively multiplayer online fantasy RPG that distinguishes itself from the crowd. Did we mention it's fun?

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars/509820p1.html

Guild Wars demo - Quark - 05-02-2004

The game isn't starting yet, but people can get a head start and download the client now to setup for when the demo starts.

http://www.guildwars.com/e3-2004/e3-event_...t-download.html

(Or I'm sure every game downloading service, i.e gamespot, ign, 3dgamers, will have it up).

Guild Wars demo - Walkiry - 05-02-2004

*Clicks to keep the DSL connection busy* ^_^

Guild Wars demo - TaiDaishar - 05-02-2004

*click click*

Something is definitely wrong with me when I'm downloading and installing an Alpha of a game I'll only be able to play in 10 days for only 2 days... :unsure:

EDIT: Installation is just 15MB...? :blink:

Guild Wars demo - LochnarITB - 05-02-2004

TaiDaishar,May 2 2004, 07:15 PM Wrote:*click click*

Something is definitely wrong with me when I'm downloading and installing an Alpha of a game I'll only be able to play in 10 days
Something tells me you're in good company *hmm* *hmm* ;)

Quote: for only 2 days... :unsure:

2 days?? I certainly hope not! I better get all 3 days or I'll... I'll... I'll ask for my money back! :lol:

Quote:EDIT: Installation is just 15MB...? :blink:

I'm betting that there is going to be a very large download when we first sign in - people on dialups are probably going to spend the whole alpha period just getting set up. :blink:

Guild Wars demo - vor_lord - 05-04-2004

Gamespot preview recently posted--they sure will need a lot of bandwidth....

clicky

Guild Wars demo - TaiDaishar - 05-04-2004

vor_lord,May 4 2004, 06:38 PM Wrote:Gamespot preview recently posted--they sure will need a lot of bandwidth....

clicky
Yup, I am wondering whether or not my pathetic computer could run this beast-lookalike game, that graphics seem to be way more than anything my puny PC can handle :(

Guild Wars demo - Jim - 05-04-2004

Hi

Quote:GameSpy Preview:

With awe-inspiring graphics, a unique gameplay mechanic, and no monthly fees, Guild Wars is a massively multiplayer online fantasy RPG that distinguishes itself from the crowd. Did we mention it's fun?

Guild Wars (PC)  Genre:  Persistent Online RPG

This is from the Readme on the PCGAMER June issue CD for GW :D

Quote:Event: E3 is for Everyone! 
Activity:  Be among the first ever to play Guild Wars live online at E3!
Timing:  From May 11th at midnight until May 14th at midnight. (Free signups    begin on May 1st.)

Detail:  Guild Wars™ is the first Competitive Online Role Playing Game, where players will compete based on their gaming skill rather than hours played.  Be among the first to play Guild Wars - before it goes into open beta test - when ArenaNet™ and NCsoft™ welcome tens of thousands of players to join us online during E3.

Experience for yourself Guild Wars’ many innovations, such as skill-based gameplay, the combination of a social world with a personal story, and FREE - NO subscription online play. 

Please feel free to email the client to your friends - after all, at NCsoft, we believe that E3 is for everyone! For more information go online to: www.GuildWars.com <http://www.GuildWars.com> or www.Arena.net <http://www.Arena.net>.

Minimum System Requirements:

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
800 MHz Pentium 3 or equivalent
256 MB RAM
GeForce 2 class video card with 32MB RAM
250 MB hard drive space
Internet connection

Recommended System Requirements:

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
800 MHz Pentium 3 or equivalent
256 MB RAM
GeForce 3 class video card with 64MB RAM