The Lurker Lounge Forums
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Lurker Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... (/thread-1215.html)

Pages: 1 2

Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - [wcip]Angel - 01-12-2009

To those out of touch with semi-recent gaming news, old friend and behemoth within non-linear first person stealth em ups, Deus Ex, will see its third installment of this legendary series sometime next year.

Announced a year and a half ago, Deus Ex 3 is being developed by Eidos (No Warren Spector though)

[Image: 811667-de31_super.jpg]
So far, we only get a teaser trailer , and some screenies, but information has been leaked that this will be a prequel to the original.

Some fans of the first game were mostly shocked and disappointed by the simplified game mechanics of the sequel DE: Invisible War. The game was compromised to suit both console and computer audiences alike. The mixed control schemes and mechanics did not go over well with parts of the expansive fanbase of the original.

Will history repeat itself? Will Deus Ex III suffer the curse of multiplatforming? Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 has shown us that multiplatform games *can* be good on all formats.

According to games website GiantBomb.com:

Quote:What we know

* Deus Ex 3 is a prequel set in 2027.
* The main character is named Adam Jensen and works for a biotech company that is raided by a government black ops group.
* The game will have a "Call of Duty"-style auto-healing mechanic instead of the hitpoints system used in the previous games.
* Newly revealed augmentations include the ability to punch through walls and octopus-style tentacles that allow you to jump off buildings. The tentacles grab to the walls to stop you from falling.
* "The art direction is a beautiful meld of the renaissance and cyberpunk" - ComputerandVideogames.com article.
* The story will begin in Shanghai.
* Combat won't be influenced by stats.
* Weapons will be upgradeable and customizable.
* Stealth will rely on a cover system rather than using shadows.

Autoheal, lack of roleplaying mechanics (stats) and an overused cover-system are my personal areas of potential criticism for the game. I'll reservice final judgment of course, untill I see the finished product.

Any thoughts, fellow lurkers? Will DE3 be what DE: IW should have been, or will the monolithic disappointment that was Invisible war be eclipsed in terms of craptasticness by this third instalment?

Edit: Ooo! Almost forgot. The reason for the thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...Hero-World-Tour (Fast forward to 4.32 and lasts about a minute) Hilarious!:)

Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Bun-Bun - 01-12-2009

Quote:Angel' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:26 PM' post='159916']
To those out of touch with semi-recent gaming news, old friend and behemoth within non-linear first person stealth em ups, Deus Ex, will see its third installment of this legendary series sometime next year.

Announced a year and a half ago, Deus Ex 3 is being developed by Eidos (No Warren Spector though)

Lost me at no Warren. He's a fun guy.

Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Zarathustra - 01-13-2009

The original Deus Ex set the bar rather high. #2 wasn't worth my playtime after having read a few reviews.

I'm witholding judgement for now... but I'm rather cynical on this one. I forsee them making a shoot 'em up and forgoing the intricate storyline and freedom of the first.

Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - roguebanshee - 01-13-2009

Quote:The original Deus Ex set the bar rather high. #2 wasn't worth my playtime after having read a few reviews.
DX:IW was an ok game, it just wasn't a worthy DX sequel. DX3 sounds so far like it will have a hard time being worthy of the title of DX:IW sequel. Then again, the actual gameplay will be the real test.

Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Bolty - 01-13-2009

I don't care. Deus Ex II sucked hard and I never even finished it. When I hear "No Warren," I hear "we're going to put out more sucky shovelware with the Deus Ex name on it just to piss off gamers who long a proper sequel to one of the best FPS games ever made."

Gah. Sorry, but DE2 made me actually angry at the gaming industry. I loved DE1; played it through at least half a dozen times just to see different plotlines and try different techniques. I was yelling at the developers of DE2 after 10 minutes of experiencing its sucktitude. I realize this totally makes me sound like an Internet basement-dweller, but oh well.

-Bolty

Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - [wcip]Angel - 01-13-2009

I'm right there with you, buddy! I wasn't even bored the tenth and final time I finished the game. I stopped after the ninth and waited for a year before trying again one final time. I'd played it back to back religiously, finishing it over and over again, experienceing something new every time; a new strategy, a new outcome, another secret, another plot twist and hidden meaning. Only reason I stopped at 9 was I didn't learn anything new that I didn't already know from the first 8 playthroughs.

DE2 sucked a big goblet of white stickiness in comparison.

... still, I miss not being able to side with Page in the end.:)There was a rumour way back when that it actually was possible, but the prank was on me.

Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Lissa - 01-13-2009

Quote: I realize this totally makes me sound like an Internet basement-dweller, but oh well.

-Bolty

You're not? :whistling:

Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Bolty - 01-15-2009

Quote:You're not? :whistling:
Well, no. My computer is upstairs. :)

-Bolty

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Bolty - 08-25-2011

Much to my extreme surprise, Deus Ex: Human Revolution does not suck. You have no idea how much it shocked me to see the reviews on this.

Anyone try this game out yet?

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Jester - 08-25-2011

(08-25-2011, 05:17 PM)Bolty Wrote: Anyone try this game out yet?

It unlocks for me in a few hours. Looking forward to it.

-Jester

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - DeeBye - 08-26-2011

(01-15-2009, 01:49 PM)Bolty Wrote: Well, no. My computer is upstairs. Smile

-Bolty

My computer is downstairs in my basement, the way god intended. Every married man needs a basement mancave.

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - ShadowHM - 08-26-2011

(08-26-2011, 04:19 AM)DeeBye Wrote: My computer is downstairs in my basement, the way god intended. Every married man needs a basement mancave.

To go along with the garage mancave (with beer fridge, natch) and the toolshed mancave (with sixteen Robertson screwdrivers and only one Phillips so you can spend time searching instead of fixing) ... Tongue

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - LavCat - 08-26-2011

(08-26-2011, 05:01 PM)ShadowHM Wrote:
(08-26-2011, 04:19 AM)DeeBye Wrote: My computer is downstairs in my basement, the way god intended. Every married man needs a basement mancave.

To go along with the garage mancave (with beer fridge, natch) and the toolshed mancave (with sixteen Robertson screwdrivers and only one Phillips so you can spend time searching instead of fixing) ... Tongue

One of my dear WoW friends used to have to play in the garage so that her husband could watch football in the living room.

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Concillian - 08-26-2011

It would be cool, but the amount of digging required to make a basement sounds like far too much work.

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - kandrathe - 08-26-2011

(08-26-2011, 07:05 PM)Concillian Wrote:

It would be cool, but the amount of digging required to make a basement sounds like far too much work.
The man cave is just the place you are allowed to display your claymore, and mounted bass trophy. HD tv and killer sound system optional.

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Zarathustra - 08-26-2011

The lack of stats doesn't bother me at all. This is a wonderful game and deserving of the high ratings it's been getting. I'd highly recommend it to any fans of the original.

It gets the Golden Z™ stamp of approval.

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - DeeBye - 08-27-2011

(08-26-2011, 05:01 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: To go along with the garage mancave (with beer fridge, natch) and the toolshed mancave (with sixteen Robertson screwdrivers and only one Phillips so you can spend time searching instead of fixing) ... Tongue

I have a beer fridge in my mancave, and there is a door not 2 feet from my computer to my "toolshed mancave" (which is locally called the "laundry room", but it's just the unfinished part of my basement that the washer and dryer reside in along with numerous types of power tools and the furnace, and lots of Phillips screwdrivers).

I also have a HD plasma TV, a lot of legos, and a Nintendo Wii in my mancave. My son and I spend a lot of time down here.

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Treesh - 08-27-2011

(08-26-2011, 07:05 PM)Concillian Wrote:

Explosives are your friends. *nodnodnod* Wink

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Wiccan - 09-07-2011

(08-26-2011, 05:01 PM)ShadowHM Wrote:

Hah!

i did away with the 16 and got 2 screwdrivers with different heads that fit neatly in my toolbox and the other screwdriver are the Robertson heads screw heads, just imagine how much fun i have going thru a very over packed and deep toolbox when all those small heads get loose and fall inside..
more game time for me and i sooo cant wait for d3 to come, gotta find a place to play so my wife doesn't try to interupt my game time when the lounge gets back into games on bnet

hehe

RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - Drasca - 09-07-2011

I have been playin deus ex on normal difficulty aka "give me a challenge". There is bad news and good news. I'll start with the bad.

I am finding the combat, ai, and inventory management part of deus ex to suck.

Combat is: if you are detected you are dead. If you get the jump on the enemy, they die. It's almost playing man with the golden gun, except with a few more rounds and many more enemies.

The ai is very very stupid but far more accurate than you are. Absurdly so. Shooting from behind or around cover is also pointless as the accuracy penalty drains all your ammo before killing, if you're lucky, one enemy, and normally there are several others nearby.

As as a shooter and especially a cover based shooter, it fails. I haven't seen an interface this bad on a triple A title for PC in a looong time. None of the Controls and movements flow. They are clunky and you might as well not use cover. There is one exception. Mobile cover: you can grab metal barrels and it can act as a shield in the direction you are facing so you can back away. Better however, not to get caught or to simply expire your enemy before they reach their weapons.

The combat sucks: horribly.

The immersion factor also greatly varies. There are some great pivotal characters here for the important ones. The story nocs do some great acting and animation: they convey focused emotion and expression. The regular npcs however all seem to be on drugs with distracting headache inducing random hand gestures and head bobs that go all over the place with no sense of purpose. Ugggh. Worse than the witcher 1 with their hand sways.

Stealth in this game is full of options, and there is a mini radar that shows not only position and movement, but direction they are facing as well. Between that and the myriad of approaches you can take to outwith your , well remarkably stupid, enemy ai , stealth is easy but still thrilling because it is varied and failure is deadly.

Deus ex hr 's flaws break immersion for me regularly, and the story's plot and character twist elements are no mystery for this science fiction detective mystery veteran, but they can surprise newer and less familiar generations of players. Pete, if you are reading, I believe you'd see through this game within the first 2 minutes or less. It took me five, but I was busy rifling through the starting area's desks and shelves for personal items to read