finding a 5 socket weapon...
I'm having a blast with ladder. Having a great time partying. But I'm now in act 3 nm and I'm using the SAME weapon I used in act 2 normal. This is a problem.

I'm a zealing pally. My favorite no-twink weapon is 'steel' rune word in a flail. Easy to find the parts. Fast, good damage, great range, and enough mana steal for zeal. But NOT for nm.

I've found one unique weapon, the unique military pick 'skull splitter'. I was going to use my one sol rune to upgrade it to the exceptional version and do 2.5x the damage. But then I found an amn rune, so now I want to make 'Honor'. (And, really, a rune word called 'Honor' sounds so appropriate for a paladin.)

My problem is finding a 5 socket one-handed weapon. I know what weapons COULD have 5+ sockets. But I don't know when they will start dropping. eg - Knouts can have a maximum of five sockets. But will they drop in act 2 + 3 of nm? If I found a regular knout in nm, could I use the socket quest? or the socketing cube recipe?

The only weapons I can use are twin axe, crowbill, naga, knout (my preference), divine scepter, and dimensional blade.

Jason
There's a restriction on the sockets of items dropped in normal and nightmare, of 3 sockets and 4 sockets respectively. This means that, though you can find some items that will get 5 sockets when socket rewarded, you won't find any items that already have 5 sockets until hell.

You can refer to my calculators in my sig for the maximum number of sockets an item can have at a given ilvl.

Knouts have 3/4/5. That means that, if the ilvl is 1-24, it can have 3 sockets, if it's 25-39, it can have 4 sockets and if it's 40+, it can have 5 sockets. If you found one in nightmare, it should have a sufficient ilvl for the highest bracket. That means socketing it with the reward will guarantee 5 sockets, and using the recipe on it has a 2/6 = 1/3 chance to give 5 sockets.
Thanks,

As it turns out I had YOUR calculator up in another window to look at the sockets of items. :lol:

But I couldn't tell exactly what 3/4/5 or 4/5/5 meant on the 'sockets' line of the item info.

Just found a low quality knout. I feel like such a bum - first cubing it to normal quality, then socketing it. :P

Jason
I'll get the documentation done some time... Just not Real Soon Now ;).

Unfortunately... The low quality to normal quality item resets the ilvl to 1. So that'd be a great way to get a 3 socket knout, but it won't get you 5 sockets.