gambling
A friend of mine asked me to poke my head into D2 after having left a long time ago.

I ran a search just now here at this site and did not find my answer. If it is there I am sorry for wasting space.

With the release of this huge patch, what is the percent chance to gamble uniques?

When I played before the dawn of recorded time, one could easily gamble SOJs, 3% chance success, and trade them for cool stuff.

The blizzard site said the chance for unique is 5000 to 1 against. Is that number correct for the new patch? It is almost pointless to try for a unique that way. Are SOJs still the currency of the realm?

The thing I liked about the old way was I could play occasionally, spend my cash gambling and get real stuff in return for my rings.

Any input here will be greatly appreciated.
The odds are better now than they were in 1.09, but much less than what you were used to in "the dawn of time." Basically, Blizzard wanted to stop making gambling a "unique shop." However, rares and even magical items can be quite good now, so gambling is still definitely worth it. Most people concentrate on gambling circlets (which can have just about any suffix or prefix that can appear on any items), rings, and amulets. However, there's also a chance of getting exceptional and elite items when gambling weapons and armor. And, anyway, if you get a normal weapon or armor that has really good mods on it, then you can use the new cube recipes to upgrade it.