Rabies & Fire Claws
Hi.
Now i got mad at these.
If anyone can look at the game code and tell, I will be glad. or knowledge appreeciated.

Rabies:

seems uninterruptible.

against exact amounts of defence, hits less when there is more chance to block at the opponent.
No blocking animation though.
some attacks show blocking animation, but those blocked attacks actually infect the opponent (even though I see the blocking animation).

Fire Claws:

seems interruptible.

against exact amounts of defence, hits less when there is more chance to block at the opponent.
No blocking animation though.
but in PvM, fire claws kills much faster then fury (close damage and AR and attack speed) for some reason.

any comments or information?
Quote:but in PvM, fire claws kills much faster then fury (close damage and AR and attack speed) for some reason.

Maybe your test monster had physical resistance?
that was a general conclusion from hell baal runs, not from a test with a spesific monster.

you may be right anyway, I havent considered that (only ommitted phy or fire immunes).

but I am more concerned with fury. There may be the bug going still. It sometimes misses alot whereas fire claws rarely do.
There is a nasty "bug" with Fury/Zeal, and I really do not think there is a way to fix it. They both choose their targets at the beginning of their cycle, and most of the targets move out of the range by the end of the cycle, so you end up zealing/furying nothing. This is at least how I explain the occurence, but yes, they both miss an AWFUL lot.

Don't know if it is related or not, but melee assassins have the same problem with nearly all of their attacks. Beats me why.
Caaroid,Jan 18 2004, 05:11 AM Wrote:Don't know if it is related or not, but melee assassins have the same problem with nearly all of their attacks. Beats me why.
With claws all being range 1 (out of 5) it wouldn't surprise me if a monster has to move barely at all to be out of range and thus *whiffed*.

Some recent LL or AB thread had Ferengi making this point about using range 5 weapons often being better than having a shield with a range 3 or lower weapon.

You can see range in action (or, rather, *inaction*) when you're clicking on a fallen or something that is running away from you... you kinda catch up to it, and begin swinging, but it keeps moving away and you whiff. In this kind of case even a long range weapon can whiff, if you let the game decide *when* to stop chasing and start swinging.

Also client/server never seem to quite agree. I find that holding down the right mouse button, when assigned to "normal attack" causes a lot of attacks to connect for lowbies that would otherwise be whiffing or not attempted (left mouse).

On the plus side, I can easily get client/server disagreement to do "keep alive" for me, to burn in mules. On the whole, however, I could do without this schizoid implementation split. Hard problem to solve with limited resource constraints.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Well, your explanation seems OK for zeal and Fury. With the assassin, however, I experience that the FASTER I attack (thus the less time the client and the server has to get desynchronised) the more often I miss.

<WHINE>
I sorely use the right mouse button (I got used to the F1-F4 hotkeys back in the time of Diablo, and I fail to re-train myself; and it is VERY hard to use the function keys and keep the SHIFT button pressed down - so SHIFT-CLICK is out for me.) (That also means that no paladin for me, sorry. I tried a few, and always grew frustrated with them...)

Now this assassin miss bug basically made me give up on the assassins, as well. I built a kicksin in 1.09, designed for 1.10 (and based upon Tommi's MDR guide - she has like 80 MDR and is practically invulnerable in nightmare). No matter how untouchable I am, I still find it VERY frustrating to keep missing like 2/3 of the time even when I have 95% chance to hit. Sure, 20k melee damage is nice, but only if you can deliver it...

I actually find the wolves to be less problematic. Maybe because they hit SO often (and are not that time-dependant as the assassins; the worst that can happen to your wolf is that your rage cools down; whereas with a kicksin if you keep missing and the tiger strikes time out, you end up never killing anything).
</WHINE>

jeez it feels better to have it out (again ;)
Actually, I see the rabies and fire claws questions more significant now, although the fury is still an important problem.

Any comments on that ?