Mechanics of Enemy Resitance Reduction
I'm trying to get a handle on resistance reduction, can you check my understanding, and also answer the questions I have:

Conviction:

Lowers maximum resistance by a percentage. I seem to recall, that if the monster has resistance above 100, the cost to lower it is five time as high. (Is this also true for 100% resistance?) Example: if the monster has resistance to lightning of 110%, and you have level 20 conviction (lowers max resistance 125%) the monster will have final resistance of either

110 - 10 - (125 - 5*10) = 25%, or
110 - 11 - (125 - 5*11) = 29%

depending on how it is counted. Is this true?

Lower Resistance

I don't know a lot about this one. Will it lower the resistance of a monster with resistance over 100%. If not, will it work on such a monster after the conviciton aura has worked?

Items (Rainbow Facets, Griffon's Helm, etc.)

Do these work with resistances over 100%. If so, are they still divided by 5, and how does it round?

A lot of quesitons here, and I will have more when I get the answers to these. :)

Thanks, Jeger
Conviction, lower resists, amplify damage, decrepify:
Lowers resistance by the listed value. If monster is immune, instead lowers resistance by 1/5 listed value. Cannot lower resistance below -100%.

Example:
If a monster has 0% resistance, level 20 conviction will lower it to -100%.
If a monster has 25% resistance, level 20 conviction will lower it to -100%.
If a monster has 50% resistance, level 20 conviction will lower it to -75%.
If a monster has 75% resistance, level 20 conviction will lower it to -50%.
If a monster has 100% resistance, level 20 conviction will lower it to 75%.
If a monster has 110% resistance, level 20 conviction will lower it to 85%
If a monster has 125% resistance, level 20 conviction will lower it to 100%, leaving it immune.

Cold mastery and items with -% enemy resistance:
Lowers effective resistance by listed value. If monster is immune, has no effect at all. Cannot lower effective resistance below -100%.
Hmm, related, but something I haven't seen answered, if both Conv and LR apply to an immune monster, do they both get the 1/5 penalty?
Or if one breaks it can the other count full? If the latter (which I doubt), there is then the question of which order they apply in.

[edit] Eh, don't worry, just answered my own question I think... they can't both apply at exactly the same time, so it will be considered in whatever order the effects applied - if the first to apply breaks immunity, the second to apply will count full - right?

Hmm, now I wonder if it does a re-check if the first to apply then goes away?
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke
Thrugg,Mar 19 2004, 03:52 PM Wrote:Hmm, now I wonder if it does a re-check if the first to apply then goes away?
The check would only be getting done at the time the damage is actually effecting the monster (recalculated evey instance). So the next check after one these effects is missing would only be using the remaining effect.

Sorry I do not know the order the checks are done at.
Quote:Sorry I do not know the order the checks are done at.

This could be very important - if anyone has information, please let me know. Obviously, if conviction (or LR) breaks immunity before the other effects are applied, it would be much better than if all the other effects were applied first, or simultaneously.