Two naked rogues get dotted!
A friend of mine (a long time lurker, won't post a thing though (maybe this will finally persuade him)) and myself decided to try out almost naked rogues.

His build: any vanilla bow, any magic book or spell he can read with natural magic (i.e. no Teleport). Clvl 22.
My parasitic build: vanilla short bow, scrolls only. Clvl 21.

No other equipment is allowed.

We've already made a couple of Laz runs prior to last night's game, basically just to see how long it would take us. It took long enough that we knew we couldn't attempt to get a dot without Telekinesis. It would just take forever, and that gets tiring a bit. But last night he wasn't that far from leveling up which allowed him to reach the 33 magic points requirement. Off we went.

Level 13 was a breeze, we found stairs very soon. Lava maws, snow witches and succubi made for a pretty easy level.

Level 14 was a bit more tedious, with a couple of deaths on my part. Vortex lords and snow witches. Love the witches, hate the balrog types. Their prancing around makes them difficult to hit, but fortunately we had a nice long corridor that saved my butt at least one time when we got split up when we activated a large bunch. If it wasn't for his slvl 1 firewall, it would be a very long level. Of course, vortex lords are fire immune, but at least witches dropped fairly easily. We cleared about 1/3 of the level before finding the stairs down. I leveled up to 22 on the level.

Level 15, and a good layout. We started out a couple of paces from old Laz's chamber. Enemies weren't that bad either: snow witches (again) and steel lords. A major improvement from the vortex lords. At least they walk in a straight line so we could fell them fairly easily. Our first volley of arrows into the lair of Laz brought out one of the hell spawns. Next it was Blackjade's and Red Vex's turn, might have been an advocate there as well. Then my friend activated Laz and IIRC all 3 advocates teleported themselves around the entrance to Laz's room. I positioned myself so that they couldn't hit me, but I could hit them and they dropped like flies. Strong flies. Took a couple of arrows, but they mostly just stood in place till they got killed. I won't complain.

Laz himself was a tough cookie. One of his fireballs hit me when I was at full health and almost knocked me over. I guess I was lucky. What with the fireball bug, a good roll could kill me. We did manage to clear out his room though, and my friend leveled to 23. TK time! He walked around a bit and noticed the pentagram right across the wall in the quadrant to the SW to Lazarus' nest, and we trod carefully, ready to dispatch any and all foes that would try to prevent us from reaching dlvl 16. We might as well ran because all we meet was a single steel lord and a stray snow witch or two.

Level 16. The bad layout. A long vertical corridor down the middle. Actually, it turned out pretty well because there weren't that many nasty packs of advocates. Usually, with the wide open space in the "corridorless" map, you get annoying packs of 3-5 advos that just tear everything with no resists apart. We didn't get that.
We did manage to die a few times though. But eventually we cleared everything around the third switch room and DeeDee's room as well. My friend flipped the switches and went off, hugging the southern wall, to wake up the Dark Lord. I forgot to move into a corner at once so I might have snafu'd the attempt by preventing a couple of FW's being cast. We died.

Waking up in town, I stupidly charged back down again. Reaching the dlvl, I thought it would be wise to look for a nice place for a new TP. It wasn't. Diablo came charging at me. I tried desperately to cast a new TP, but before I knew it, I was dead again, bringing Diablo right to my friend's TP. Talk about stupid. My friend was greeted by the horned one as soon as he stepped out of his TP, but managed to escape and finish off Diablo, earning the dot.

We did die quite a few times during that game, but it's not as if we didn't expect it. A great success would be doing it without TK & FW, but that would take forever. With our damage being around 20 on average, Diablo would take ~90 hits, without regeneration. Since we'd very likely die once every couple of arrows, it would be a very long night. I'm not sure about when we'll attempt the second dot. We might just go straight for a 3@30 (not solo, but still).

I can't see us doing that without stone curse, though. Even with maxed str and dex, our damage would be around 45-50. It is certainly possible though, and I just might give it a solo shot eventually.

All in all, this was among my most rewarding Diablo kills ever.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
DeeDee's room, eh? Interesting.

All in all, as it goes, a good write-up. Thanks for sharing.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Quote:His build: any vanilla bow, any magic book or spell he can read with natural magic (i.e. no Teleport). Clvl 22.
My parasitic build: vanilla short bow, scrolls only. Clvl 21.

Ouch on both counts. I remember my FBAR having a hell of a time getting stun damage at those levels. It was slow goin'.

Quote:Level 14 ... Love the witches, hate the balrog types. Their prancing around makes them difficult to hit, but fortunately we had a nice long corridor that saved my butt at least one time when we got split up when we activated a large bunch.

Heh. Rogs: Even if you had stun damage, it wouldn't have helped much. In any event, leading them down a hallway is a good tactic to foil that tedious "prancing" AI. Good strategy.

Quote:Level 15 ... IIRC all 3 advocates teleported themselves around the entrance to Laz's room. I positioned myself so that they couldn't hit me, but I could hit them and they dropped like flies. Strong flies.

Getting a lock on Advos in Laz's room can be tricky sometimes. (If available, flooding the room with FWall's also a nice way of dealing with 'em.)

Quote:Laz himself was a tough cookie. One of his fireballs hit me when I was at full health and almost knocked me over. I guess I was lucky.

Absorb one of those puppies on nightmare w/o resists. Eeeoow.

Quote:He walked around a bit and noticed the pentagram right across the wall in the quadrant to the SW to Lazarus' nest, and we trod carefully, ready to dispatch any and all foes that would try to prevent us from reaching dlvl 16. We might as well ran because all we meet was a single steel lord and a stray snow witch or two.

Heh. You also could've used the "TP Teleport" technique: Set TP over a wall. Return to town. Take TP. (Nice to do with two players since you won't have to walk back to town.) Of course, there is the danger of landing someplace terribly dangerous. ;)

Quote:We might just go straight for a 3@30 (not solo, but still).

I can't see us doing that without stone curse, though. Even with maxed str and dex, our damage would be around 45-50. It is certainly possible though, and I just might give it a solo shot eventually.

It's really, really tedious. That's why Garda(BAR) hasn't gotten her third dot yet, even at clvl ~36. (She has explored bits and pieces of H/H and NM/H on various occasions, though.) No stun damage, crippling blocklock, and magic hurts like all hell.

Quote:All in all, this was among my most rewarding Diablo kills ever.

Most certainly. :)

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
my favorite tactic for laz is to flood his room with guardians using a mindcry staff.
Y'know, there are a million fine looking women in the world, dude, but they don't all bring you lasagnia at work. Most of them just cheat on you.
LemmingofGlory,Mar 27 2004, 09:57 PM Wrote:That's why Garda(BAR) hasn't gotten her third dot yet, even at clvl ~36.
Which came first: Garda(BAR) or your story at RBD?

What kind of a BAR is she? The blocklock you mentioned makes me think S/S with a bow for ranged attackers.

When I started Rhyanis I also didn't know which way I'd go - BAR or (vanilla short bow, scrolls & shrines). Eventually I succumbed to the charm of a blood fountain which pretty much took away the BAR option. You can't have barbarians drinking evil juju blood! At least now I don't have to walk everywhere and I can resurrect people I play with.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Quote:Which came first: Garda(BAR) or your story at RBD?

This came first (and could probably stand a rewrite). Garda(BAR) was originally "Sheis(BAR)" (read as "She is" thus "She is barbarian").

Quote:What kind of a BAR is she? The blocklock you mentioned makes me think S/S with a bow for ranged attackers.

Rogue BARs were called FBARs (Female BARs). To be most BAR-like, the idea was to use a bow only when a regular BAR would. This was to differentiate FBAR from ARC. In practice, sometimes a bow allows the FBAR to be more useful as a co-op partner (e.g. if a tank already exists and easily out performs the FBAR). Personally speaking, weapon-switch is a big part of Garda's playstyle.

Quote:When I started Rhyanis I also didn't know which way I'd go - BAR or (vanilla short bow, scrolls & shrines). Eventually I succumbed to the charm of a blood fountain which pretty much took away the BAR option. You can't have barbarians drinking evil juju blood! At least now I don't have to walk everywhere and I can resurrect people I play with.

For convenience, Garda usually carries around a resurrect ("smelling herbs"), but she doesn't like accepting res. For smoother co-op I usually modify the BAR TP rule such that: if path to TP is clear, TP use is okay (time saver). However, TPs as an excape are a big no-no.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]