Can't see other network player? Help?
Hi,

(Diablo)

Thought seeing your are all so clever here, I would ask if there is a work around for this problem.

I have two computers connected via network sharing a modem and when we both connect to battle.net and enter a created game by another online player, we cannot see each other. The other online player can see us both but we are invisible to each other.

Your brilliance here to solve this issue would be graetly appreciated!
benies,Apr 3 2004, 09:09 PM Wrote:Hi,

(Diablo)

Thought seeing your are all so clever here, I would ask if there is a work around for this problem.

I have two computers connected via network sharing a modem and when we both connect to battle.net and enter a created game by another online player, we cannot see each other. The other online player can see us both but we are invisible to each other.

Your brilliance here to solve this issue would be graetly appreciated!
I've seen this problem crop up first-hand before, and while I'm not a networking guru, I can make an educated guess.

Even though your two computers are sharing the same modem, they are not communicating with each other. They can both access the internet just fine -- they are somehow blocked from talking to each other.

I make this guess based on the one and only time I've ever seen this phenomenon pop up on Battle-net play (three players in a game, two can't see or chat with each other in-game).

After some troubleshooting, it was determined that our ISPs had a bad connection with each other. We both ("we" = me and the other invisible player) did tracerts to each others' IP address, and they timed out. Even though we both had an active connection to the internet (indeed, we both had an active connection to Battle.net and could chat with each other in channels), we could not send/receive any data to/from each other in a game.

There was some kind of temporary roadblock in the intarweb between our two ISPs that didn't allow our two IP addresses to make a connection to each other, even though we could both access the internet. The problem was eventually fixed somehow (likely at the ISP level).

My advice is to make sure that the two computers you have connected to the same modem can communicate with each other, and not just inside the network. You'll need to determine that they can communicate through the modem, router, and any firewall you might have active. Try sending a file over AIM/ICQ/MSN or something. Just make sure you are connecting with each other outside of the local network.
Thanks for your help DeeBye! Great advice, "BUT" it didn't work.

I already turned off firewalls, checked communication across network and still this annoying problem continues.

Can anyone come up with a solution? The challenge has been set! <_<

"I have two computers connected via network sharing a modem and when we both connect to battle.net and enter a created game by another online player, we cannot see each other. The other online player can see us both but we are invisible to each other."

Hmmmm!

:huh:
If you don't have one already, install a configureable router on your network (your modem might be one - check your manuals). Then configure it to forward incoming connections like this:
TCP and UDP port 4000 to computer A
TCP and UDP ports 6112-6114 to computer A
TCP and UDP ports 6115-6119 to computer B

Where A and B are your Diablo gaming computers.

I give no guarantee, but I think this should work.