Report on my level 15 Dwarf Rogue
My Dwarf Rogue was created on the first day of Beta. She’s short and squatty – all ass and no body. She makes her own leather armor fairly competently. Every now and then she comes across some leather armor that is better than what she can create herself, but since she likes to craft, it doesn’t happen too often.

She’s currently level 15 (dinged last night just before signing off). At that level, she is able to solo mobs 2-3 levels above her own. When an add jumps into the fight, she will usually end up appearing at her gravestone within a few seconds. The only times this doesn’t happen is when she is able to land some crucial hits (a stunning blow, followed by Backstab).

I trained in Dual Wield, but usually can be found running around with a small buckler in my off-hand. Being able to increase my AC by over 30 as well as block a few blows now and then seem to work pretty well for me. If I get the chance to obtain another decent dagger, I may swap out the buckler and reevaluate my approach.

I’ve got a few Talents available to me, but mostly rely on 1 or 2. When soloing, I’ll usually Stealth myself and try to move behind my target for an initial Backstab. This does some pretty nice damage to get the party started right. I’ll follow up with generic attacks to build up my combo points, then hope I have enough energy to pull off a finishing move. I’m no powergamer (and never have been), so I’m sure my technique can be improved upon.

I grouped with Dalea last night (Nightelf Rogue) and watched as he was able to pull MOBs using throwing weapons. Nice. I think I should have trained in Throwing as well. Of course, this is only useful when your soloing or in a non-ranged group. This was the case last night as it was just he and I. Being able to get a blow in before the MOB reaches melee range is quite nice. Once they’re on him, I’m able to move in behind and begin with a Backstab. This immediately forces aggro on me – at which point Dalea would Backstab as well. This worked pretty darn well throughout the night.

As I mentioned, crafting is going pretty well. My char is Journeyman Skinner and Journeyman Leatherworker. Stats in both are near 115 or so. Nothing uber at all, but high enough to make some pretty decent leather.

The hard part I’ve found in gaining stats in either one of my trades is finding high enough skin or leather. The MOBs I’ve been killing for skinning are around level 14 or 15. They don’t drop enough of the quality leather I need for my good recipes to help me increase in stats at a good rate. I resorted to purchasing some raw goods while in Stormwind a couple of nights ago. I bought 40 Medium Leather for 40 silver. A real good price since I can sell what I don’t use for even more than I paid!

Like Bolty, I’m looking forward to the next wave of beta invites to go out so I can start a new char and get a feel for another type of fighting class and crafting profession.
TPJ • Founder, The Amazon Basin
Can you elaborate on the combo points thing? I heard that warriors gain their "mana" (Rage) by hitting targets, is that the same with rogues?
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
You gain 'Combo Points' as you land certain strikes against your opponent. You can build these up (to 5 I believe) by landing more and more of them. The more you have, the more damage you do when you end with your finishing move.

Certain talents increase your combo points - others use them.
TPJ • Founder, The Amazon Basin
Quote:As I mentioned, crafting is going pretty well. My char is Journeyman Skinner and Journeyman Leatherworker. Stats in both are near 115 or so. Nothing uber at all, but high enough to make some pretty decent leather.

The hard part I’ve found in gaining stats in either one of my trades is finding high enough skin or leather. The MOBs I’ve been killing for skinning are around level 14 or 15. They don’t drop enough of the quality leather I need for my good recipes to help me increase in stats at a good rate. I resorted to purchasing some raw goods while in Stormwind a couple of nights ago. I bought 40 Medium Leather for 40 silver. A real good price since I can sell what I don’t use for even more than I paid!

My fighter Arkthorn (current level 15) does not have as high skill in Skinning or Leatherworking, but I have been pulling in a decent amount of hides and medium leather down in Westfall. Look for the Coyote Packleaders (occasional hide) or the Greater Goretusks (some hides and once in awhile a medium leather). But beware those Greater Goretusks are higher level (17?) and can be quite rough. If you see Arkthorn around, he can cook up any of the coyote meat or goretusk livers you might have for some better than average fair (528 hp over 24 sec for both). I was also finding a few hides off of the bears up around Loch Modan.