Places you are not supposed to go to
It seems that some places are just not meant to be playable or accessible in the beta. I was happily working my way through Ashenvale in Kalimdor. Looking for a bad mage that supposedly lived on a mountain top. Since the map for Ashenvale is completely void of information about interesting spots, I thought the little road in lower left corner could be it, so I travelled along the road, stopped for fishing and thought that taking the rive south would be good. It looked empty of enemies while the wilderness had various high level monsters (of which one was a bear called “unknown being”, that should have given me a hint perhaps).

Working my way south between the two rivers, I suddenly started to notice a shift in the nature. The trees seemed to bleed some greenish stuff. Further away the trees looked dead and I saw smoke raise. I then noticed a monster far away, a small lizard, apparently called “Blizzard Guardian”. The level was high showing ?? for me and it had a whopping 45k life. I thought I should stay clear. Suddenly I died! I was hit by a death touch doing as much damage as I have life by the Blizzard Guardian and at the same time the monster shouted to me that the area was off limits! Bah I thought, what an annoying way of doing it, and now I had to run across the whole map to get my body back. As I was in ghost form, I thought I might as well explore some and find interesting places with buildings and such, and see what that road to the north lead, the map above Ashenvale is not clickable on the continent map. It is apparently called Felltree or something like that. Again, the trees was bleeding green, looked deadish further north, and there it was, more Blizzard Guardians. Seems Blizzard simply doesn’t want you there.

So I worked my way south and thought I should take a shortcut. Got to some interesting place seeing a huge building, then, BAM! Killed by a Blizzard Guardian (while still in ghost form, by the way, horde monsters can also see and kill an alliance character while in ghost form, that is something that happens in Redridge Mountains at the Orc camps and so on). This was getting frustrating. Not that I died, but that it was so long from were one start as a ghost. I decided to take the initial route to my body and the same one back.

I now looked at the map and decided that it would be interesting to see what happened if I tried to swim around north from Darkshore, so I set off on this journey. A nice thing was that on the way, I found unguarded treasure chests on some remote islands. When I was about to leave Darkshore map, the server told me it was going down to fix instances. Oh well, my journey had to continue later that day.

When I logged back on, the game had actually moved my character back a bit into Darkshore. I was quite a bit from the place I were at when I was kicked out. This time I swam on though. When I was about to leave Darkshore for sure and enter the next area I noticed something was not right. In front of me were a wall of landmass raising straight up, going out into the sea as well. Only close to land did it have texture, further out it was just blank grey. Now, one is really NOT supposed to get to the north eastern part of Kalimdor it seems. I think trying to get there through other means will lead to pretty much the same end result. Anyway, it was fun trying and I have included a few pictures below of my attempts (will be added in a few hours).
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Off blazing new trails. Sounds like the Jarulf we know and love.
TPJ • Founder, The Amazon Basin
Jarulf, my fellow explorer...

I believe that the mage guy that you were looking for before is located at the top of the mountain that sits in the Barrens. Just follow the Gold Road EAST from (heading into the continent from Darkshore) and you can't miss it on the right...

I wonder if you can get to the northeast part of Kalimdor by taking the eastern shoreline.

When I tried going north by land, I turned back because of a level 25 bear standing in my way. Didn't feel like dying, so I continued east. Makes one wonder if there is another way, maybe sneaking across the landscape from Rachet that might help one get north....

Another thought.... You know how there are guards that will attack monsters that get too close to towns, and whatsuch? Perhaps that is how they plan on keeping high level Horde characters from going and pounding on newbie Alliance characters, and vice versa. Having a level 99 "Ent" (pardon the LoTR reference) guarding the gate to a city would certainly suggest that to me. Not to mention the level 25 archers that will walk the trails in the Elvish starting grounds.

Would be interesting to see if there is some way for a large party to get together (high level chars, of course), and storm an area where there is a guard, just to see if there is a way to kill them, or if they are invincible or if they can be killed. Do sort of one of those things where victory will come in numbers.... 3 warriors, 3 rogues, 3 warlocks, a couple priests, a couple mages... so that you can hit someone from all sides, even ranged. So if one or two die, there's still more to go on... just a ponderence....

SaxyCorp
Please check the picture thread for were to get the pictures.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Hey Jarulf, nice scouting there =)

On a side note though, you said the Guardian had 45k life. How did you get that? Is there a command to get the monster's life or something? All I ever see is a green bar =\
One of the add-on scripts displays that information, lemekim.
BofW,Apr 13 2004, 05:58 PM Wrote:One of the add-on scripts displays that information, lemekim.
I know of those, but I thought Jarulf was not using any last time I talked to him.