Diablo problem
after a while when I play I get this error.... far too often... so far have only seen it in town

This application has encountered a critical error:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Program: C:/Diablo/diablo.exe
File: G:/diabdat.mpq

Press OK to terminate the application

....now some info about my comp and the game
I am running windows2000 and I'm not actually using the game cd... I made an image of it, cause mine was so badly damaged it could not be used anymore, so a friend lent me his to make an image of it. I'm using a p4 2.8ghz, 512mb of ram and my vid card is a radeon 128mb.... I have more than enough power to play.... why is it doing this? and how can I stop it? I really wanna start playing again but this is really annoying!!!

*oh, and I run the image directly from my pc using a program called daemon tools, so I'm not using any cd of any kind
I got this message when i first started playing al i did was reinstall it to the comp. But as ur usin a imaged i don't know what to do maybe its a file corrupt.

You can try burn your mates disk or have you done that alread?

xXERISEDXx
Diablo One Forever. Diablo Two is the Darkside

xXERISEDXx
NitramFilm,Apr 25 2004, 12:53 PM Wrote:*oh, and I run the image directly from my pc using a program called daemon tools, so I'm not using any cd of any kind
Since the game is only $10 in retail stores, Walmart for example. If you really want to play it, go buy a new one. I had to do the same a few years ago, and I get no errors.

Lurker's doesn't promote burning copies of games, even if you own one.

Good Luck,
Darcia
" Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loath them. "
- Edgar Allan Poe
Darcia,May 6 2004, 05:34 PM Wrote:Lurker's doesn't promote burning copies of games, even if you own one.
Since when?
If you own a game, you can legally copy it and run the copy. However, if you cease to own the original, you must (by law) destroy said copy.
I was under the impression, if you copy your friend's game it is illegal.

Perhaps I am wrong, here is the thread I had in mind after reading his post -
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...=ST&f=10&t=3121
" Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loath them. "
- Edgar Allan Poe
Darcia,May 6 2004, 07:06 PM Wrote:I was under the impression, if you copy your friend's game it is illegal.

Perhaps I am wrong, here is the thread I had in mind after reading his post -
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...=ST&f=10&t=3121
I won't get into legalities of copying games, since this varies greatly from country to country. It is against the forum rules to promote "warezed" copies of games, which your linked thread clearly does. This one doesn't, assuming of course he actually has a copy of Diablo in the first place and isn't just feeding us a line.

Copying a game that you own is completely kosher. Using Daemon's Tools to play that game without a CD is completely kosher. I used to do it all the time when playing Diablo 1, just so I could avoid nasty "CD Spin Lag Death".

For the original poster, I'm 99% sure you have a corrupt diabdat.mpq file. You'll need copy it again. Once you do, it's a good idea to copy the diablodat.mpq file to your /Diablo directory.