Guide to the Frost Ranger
Hello. Back when the 1.10 beta patch was released, I posed a question to the Lurker Lounge group: could a frost ranger work? I had just read in some 1.09 guide who's name escapes me about the shock ranger, and thought that, with synergies, a frost version could work. My answer to this question was, "I don't know. Why don't you try it to find out?" Now that I'm online, I decided that I would. This thread chronicles my journeys. This post is theory, and after I'm done, I revise everything and put out a final Guide of the Frost Ranger. The ranger's name is Chilly_MotS.

WHY?

This is why I think this build could work. According to Chippydip's skill calculator, with Holy Freeze, Cold Resist, and Salvation at slvl 20, Holy Freeze will add 999-1025 cold damage to my attack, and the aura will have a radius of 16.6 yards, do 199-205 cold damage per pulse, and slow enemies by 54%. Not bad.

THE BUILD IN THEORY

As I recall, the ranger guide I read suggests that both ranger and shock rangers eventually max Fanaticism. Who am I to argue? I am the Mage of the Sands, that's who. 10 points should be enough to take out cold immunes. I plan to use Redemption for healing and Vigor for tactical maneuvers. Given prerequisites, this gives me extra points if I get that far. These will then go to Fanaticism.
As for a merc, a Blessed Aim merc would help me with actually hitting enemies. Normally he would die easy, but with the huge HF, he should be fine.

EQUIPMENT

Without any mules of my own, I will have to be no twink. I'm undecided whether to try to get a Wizendraw, a Kuko Shakaku, or something else. Not the Buriza-Do Kyanon. That's just too much power to make my experiment legitimate.

Wizendraw vs. Kuko Shakaku: Tough choice. Wizendraw doesn’t do much damage, but that's what HF is for. It does reduce the enemy’s Cold Resistance which is nice, and it shoots magic arrows. If I recall right, magic arrows automatically hit. Kuko Shakaku on the other hand fires explosive arrows and pierces.

ABOUT THE GUIDE, ME, AND HOW YOU CAN HELP

I was inspired to write this guide by a thing I recently read on these forums about The Beloved Vine. (if you can give me the name of the thread and author, that would be great.) I figured that if he can play with a Poison Creeper and write about it, why can't I do the same with the Frost Ranger? Chilly_MotS is a Softcore Ladder character on USEast. I almost always play in Amazon Basin games. This is my first ranger, and an untested variant at that. I don't think this is the character to be my first hard core as well. As mentioned, I don't have any mules for Chilly_MotS to use. I also came here to party. I really want to be partied at all times. This might affect how you view the outcome of this build, but that's how I want to play. If you would like to party with me, PM me, or pop up online. I need a tank. I would appreciate it.

Wish me luck!
Hi,

While I appreciate the fact that you are trying out a new build, it's still not appropriate to post here looking for items. If you would like to post here looking to meet people to play with, that's fine. But don't ask for items or trades.

Besides, if you want to write a guide, you'd be much better off playing the character untwinked. Otherwise, how could you get a sense of how things might go for your readers?

I need to lock the thread, since it is asking for items. Feel free to create a new thread if you want to discuss the strategy or tactics of your character, or look for people to play with. Thanks.

-Griselda

edit- unlocked so that mageofthesands could edit his post.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete