Walkin' on Sunshine
I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who has found this - Mongo, after all, was noting this before I really started getting into it. Basically, you can walk up almost any mountain in World of Warcraft with a little determination and patience. This allows you to get to impossible areas of the game where things aren't textured and the bizarre becomes commonplace!

All screenshots are massively compressed to preserve bandwidth sanity.

[Image: wow9.jpg]

Here's the view from the east of the Burning Steppes. I was quite dead at the time, since my brave self went splat exploring these invalid areas. Being dead is not required for such exploration, however.

[Image: wow10.jpg]

This view is from another side of this "canyon," lower down so you can see the texture mapping.

[Image: wow11.jpg]

On this last shot, to my left is a piece of the Badlands. What I'm standing on is a very oddly-placed "tile" of what I felt was untextured snow ground used in other places of the game - it curved upward to the top of a cliff and was very amusingly out of place in the desert-like surroundings.

So, how do I get to these places? It's easy once you get the hang of it. When you run straight-on toward a mountain that's too steep for you to climb, you get to a point where you can't go up any further. Stop, and turn either left or right so that you can now run parallel to the hill, along its edges. Then, try from time to time to turn upward, so you go up the hill - and every so often it works! You'll begin to climb up the ramp that was previously impossible. The neat thing is that once this begins, as long as the curve of the upward climb remains too steep to be able to climb normally, you can KEEP doing it - it's as if once you've hit the bugged-out state, you can ride it forever. As long as you don't reach land that levels out to a normal running grade, you can keep going. I have used this to climb cliffs that were almost vertical in grade because I started out the "bugged" state a bit lower down and just rode it all the way up.

Thus, any area is accessible, really, if you can find such a method up the mountain. If you can't get it to work, just keep trying - suddenly it'll work and surprise the heck out of you. :) It's clear that there's some kind of pathing bug in existence, allowing the client to ignore the steepness of a climb and just go. It makes me wonder why the server doesn't slap you down for doing it. Apparently there's no sanity check to see if you really can be where you say you are.

Come to think of it, I recall in Phase 1 that in the Redridge Mountains, people kept getting teleported randomly back to town. It happened to me about 3 times. Perhaps that was a pathing bug caused by the server checking to see if what you were doing was really possible (and it got overzealous). So, Blizzard turns this off, and we can climb impossible mountains. It's a theory, but I didn't try to climb mountains like I've been doing in Phase 2 then.

So go hiking, beta testers!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Hi,

I used a similar method extensively to cross many of the mountains around Elwynn Forest.

What usually works for me is to run up the hill, and when the avatar quits making progress, alternatively tap left and right. I think what happens is that some of the vertices of the triangles that the avatar is trying to get onto are "lower" than some of the one's on the triangle that he's on, and so the program thinks he's going "flat".

Then again, not having access to the source, I'm probably completely wrong.

Bit it does work, and some of the views from the peaks are well worth the effort -- for those spots, I crank all the sliders up, go to 1280X1024 (max for my card), and drool :) Of course, If I try to move, or even pan or tilt the camera, I get a frame rate of "seconds per frame" -- but it sure is purty.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?