New to beta
Well, it seems that some guy called Ultimo had the same problem as me. He posted it on the beta forums and fixed the problem by getting someone to send him the appropriate file, then changing the values.

Here is the thread. Could I get someone to help me out here? You all know my e-mail address (hint: contact page) so send away!

EDIT: It seems the problem may also be caused by my old video card <_< . So, looks like I might just have to wait for my new one to arrive...
I'm having a hard time determining exactly what file you need, otherwise I'd indeed help out.
Hi,

If you are talking about the config.wtf file, you don't need anyone to send it to you. If you don't have one, it will be created when you run the game. If you do have one, simply delete it (or, better yet, rename it config.old or something) and the game will create a new one (you'll lose any tweaks you might have made).

If you are talking about another file, then you'll have to be more specific -- that thread doesn't seem to mention any.

From what that tread does say, it sounds like a video card problem. Have you completely updated all the patches on your OS and gotten all the latest drivers? The last patch ran for me on some older drivers, but this one forced me to update.

Good luck.

--Pete

EDIT: Just on the off chance, I'm sending you my config.wtf file :)

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Jun 28 2004, 12:47 AM Wrote:EDIT:&nbsp; Just on the off chance, I'm sending you my config.wtf file :)
I always have a chuckle when I see mention of either the config.wtf file or the WTF directory. It's kinda fitting too.

"WTF is wrong with my World of Warcraft?!? It won't load!"

"Check your WTF."
Yes, it's the config.wtf file, sorry. And, the game probably does give it to me when I run it, but the problem is, it doesn't get a chance to run. The error pops up right away, so... <_<

Thanks very much for the file, I'll let you know if it works!

Deebye, I know exactly what you mean :lol:

EDIT:
Pete: Did you just click the link on the contact page and send it to me or did you retype it? If you did, did you retype it with a capital? I'm pretty sure it only works without a capital, as I had problems at first with that too. I haven't recieved it yet, and it's been ~half an hour so...
Hi,

Well, you still don't have the file because the e-mail I sent you bounced. Either there's something wrong with the addy you've registered with or there's something about my e-mail it didn't like. So send *me* an e-mail and I'll reply with the file attached.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Bounced? Hmm, well I'll check that, but I sent you an email with my personal email address in it just in case. Thank you so much for your quick and helpful responses!

EDIT: Checked, and that was indeed my fault, I still had my old email address on there, but it's fixed now in case anyone wants to e-mail me.

#2: Well, it looks like I might just have to wait for my new video card.
Refrigerator,Jun 28 2004, 01:13 AM Wrote:#2: Well, it looks like I might just have to wait for my new video card.
You should post your system specs. What sort of video card do you currently have?
Well, it's one of these ones:
Matrox G400/G450 DualHead
Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead

This computer is currently using two moniters. They/it is a 32mb card.

The new one is one I'm ordering from atic.ca: An ATI Radeon 9200se
Don't know when it will be here, but hopefully pretty soon.

EDIT: Ah, ok, it's the second one that I have. The Matrox Millenium G400 Dualhead. I got the first information from looking at the device manager, and this from dxdiag.
Finally, my video card arrived (Radeon 9200se) and I am able to play WoW. So far, I've played about ten minutes, and I've:
(1) Managed to kill a boar backwards, attacking the air in front of me when it was behind me
(2) Nearly killed myself on a campfire, and
(3) Crashed the game twice
I'm a Night Elf Druid (Name: Freyrveyk) and I have no idea whatsoever what I'm doing. :lol:
Further updates as events warrant.
Ah! As it happens I ordered a new video card today -- a 9600XT. I tried (for the most part) Pete's recommended settings, and while the frame rate was marginally higher, the game was all but ugly. Having seen what it was like before. Not only ugly, but I could no longer see monsters in the distance, or even whole towns for that matter. But at least I could move the mouse.

Not a good compromise, so I figured it was time to order. The 9600XT has DX9 pixel shaders, so I'm hoping for better rendition as well as faster.

My advice, having spent a little time in Teldrassil, is don't walk off the edge. It is a long way down, and a longer way back up.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
This is a longshot but perhaps try to delete the whole folder all together and then make a new folder with the same name?

There's a chance (very small) that some files in there are hidden so you might have files even though you do not see them inside the folder
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
I just thought I should clarify about the bug I found that made the game crash twice. I hadn't adjusted the video settings appropriately low enough to match my hardware, and for SOME REASON, my computer couldn't handle it. ;)

I am also now level 10, and getting the hang of the game. Sort of. :lol:
Refrigerator,Jul 13 2004, 12:10 AM Wrote:I just thought I should clarify about the bug I found that made the game crash twice.&nbsp; I hadn't adjusted the video settings appropriately low enough to match my hardware, and for SOME REASON, my computer couldn't handle it.&nbsp; ;)
What an odd bug! Who figured such a thing is even possible! :lol:

Oh god I wanna see that bug for myself! :(
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"