D2 Classic : are area levels equal to LOD ones?
Hello,

I am wondering if the area levels are the same in the D2C and in LOD.
I already ask almost this question, and got a partial answer. The monster level of classic monster is normally lower than the equivalent in LOD.

The real question is: do some spots exist where area level is "weirdly" high? like the PIT in LOD or the Mausoleum?

Reworded, the question that could be asked is: is there any place to level out of the Chaos Sanctuary?

Thanks in advance,

Have a good day,

BOB2
I just had a look in Levels.txt. There are separate columns for classic vs expansion. For classic, the area levels in Hell difficulty make a gradual rise from level 50 just outside town in act 1 to level 78 in the Chaos Sanctuary and in the Cow level. There aren't any oddities like in the expansion.

However, there have been some reports recently about treasure drops in Classic not matching the area levels listed in Levels.txt for Classic and instead matching the area levels listed for the expansion. If I remember correctly, the poster was not sure if just the item levels were wrong of if the monster levels were also wrong. The items levels were easily checked using a character editor (ATMA?) in single player, while some other evidence suggested that the monsters _were_ in fact matching the area level.

I'm sorry now that I didn't bookmark those reports. :(

In addition, it is likely that end-of-act bosses and some other monsters are set to ignore the area levels, and you'd have to take that into account when looking for the best place to level. In particular, I'd look hard at Diablo's level before I switched from the Chaos Sanctuary to the Cow level, even though the area levels are the same.

Jimbowe
Hi and thanks for the insight.

Unfortunately, there is no oddity :(

Do you remember where do you see this post about Drops lvl not matching area levels?

Thanks in advance,

BOB2
Quote:Reworded, the question that could be asked is: is there any place to level out of the Chaos Sanctuary?

what lev char are you trying to lev up?

old school chars would just clear all of act4 in 8ppl games. you dont find that much anymore in d2c 1.09 or 1.10 where you lev up depends a lot on what lev char you are, what kind of char you happen to be and what king of monsters you can kill fast.

i still lev up many of my chars in the arcane in duel games, they seem to stay full for a long time. if you dont want to do CS you can always do cows (they arent as good for exp but still ok if you can kill them fast) one of the best places to lev high chars is still the lower river. if you can find an exp shrine b4 you start.

the reason why ppl like the CS in d2c is you get everyone on the same map/party for more exp, you also kill d and all those champs down there for good exp. the problem is its very hard to find 7 other ppl that have any idea how to coop and dont get each other killed.
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.
Hi,

I am actually running the whole river of flame then the cs but I find it a little boring now. That is why I was wondering if some "nice" experience-wise spot are existing like in LOD (the famous 85 leval area).

The build is a "classic" tweaker sf/fo relying on chain-lighting as a finishing spell for cold immune. So the river is quite easy and fast 66% of the time. It is juste a little slower when swarmed but new-born spawned cold immune.

The issus is that I have the feeling of the very strong slow down in exp-hunting since the early 80's. :(

Have a nice day fellow lurkers,

BOB2
[COLOR=yellow]ya exp gets slower in the 80's. the thing with d2c is the monsters arent has high as they are in lod. hell diabo is only 90 and all the other monsters are much lower then that. so at higher levs about the only way to get good exp is you play in 8ppl games, on the same map and close. you can still get good exp in full cow games but you would need to find good high lev ppl to coop with.
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.
Hi,

While motivating an old buddy, we are actually running 6 people cow game without much fear.
It is strange tp me to begin again to play in cow.
In fact before the madness of 1.09, cow levels were quite fun and changed from the good old cd runs.
It is fast and in this configuration xp went well till 86's when it appears a well organized Didi kill is more efficient (considering time spent/ xp earned).

Good afternoon,

BOB2