Timer on posting
Hi,

I realize that it is my problem, but it's easier to ask for a change than to change myself.

The problem is that I often read all the new stuff, then start writing replies. So, I write the first reply, post it, and click on the reply button to the next thing I want to reply to and get the flood control error message. Happens every time. Apparently the timer is from when you reply to one message till you click reply (not post) on the next.

Any way that can be changed? And is it even worth doing?

Thanks,

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

That's the most bizarre form of floodcheck I've ever heard of.
My other mount is a Spiderdrake
It gets me too because I also like to read and then post (most of the time). I do want to leave some flood control on there because I want to be at least slightly annoying to somebody who's trying to spam. Requiring spammers to click and then wait might at least make the process more boring for them, and encourage them to give up more quickly.

I turned it down from 30 seconds to 15 seconds, though. Let me know if that's any better.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Hi,

Thank you.

I'll gladly put up with a longer timer if spam gets to be even a minor problem. Though the real issue seems to be not with the length of time but with how it is measured. I.e., it would make a lot more sense to measure between equivalent events (between clicks to reply to post or between clicks to submit post). Since mosts post will take at least a minute or two to compose, I probably would never have noticed such a spam filter. I suspect that the workings of the timer are buried deep in the code and that changing those would be a lot more trouble than it is worth.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

This board does have a submit to submit timer as well, unless my tests were faulty. The submit to reply one is odd and I can't think of why it would be needed.

Most flood control is primarily concerned with stopping scripted posting, people spamming is a secondary concern since a script could post much much faster than a person. I'm just trying to see a reason for the reply to submit timer since you can start as many replies at one time as you want if opened in a new tab/window. They even all have the same session ID though so they are all subject to the same timer. I think all the timers are based on session ID's.

Very odd indeed.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I agree. But, I don't think I can chance that. :(

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete