Defense Rating
Greetings!

It seems to be the popular wisdom these days that Shaftstop, with its 30% DR is the best armor to give to your merc. Combined with Vampire Gaze, it can yield up to 50% PDR. The problem is that, compared to other available uniques, the Defense of Shaftstop is fairly low (~650)... Whereas the defense available on other armors can be as high as ~1800+.

It seems that in using this armor you trade off more hits for less damage per hit. The question is whether the 30% less damage offsets the increased hit frequency.

??

In addition, more frequent hits cause your merc to spend more time stunned/knocked back/in hit recovery, and therefore not dealing damage.

So I guess the questions would be:

Is shaftstop "the best" armor to give to a high level merc?
How big a difference does Defense make at hell difficulties?

Thanks in advance!
Many hell monsters have ITD, and difficult ones that don't have riduclusly high AR's. Somebody else can probably give you numbers, but I am of the opinion that your Merc is probably going to be hit a lot no matter what.
Aside from a skill/attack that has a Stun effect, any hit that reaches 1/10th or 1/12th of your total hp (forgot which, it's been a while since I've seriously played melee'ers) also stuns/ displays Hit Recovery animation. So if the hit's dmg is significantly decreased (i.e., 50% max PDR, items of Anima/Life Everlasting, etc.), might not even get stunned, merely lose life. Not only this, but certain "elemental" attacks such as Big D's LBoD & Gloam's Ltng have physical aspects that Defense rating cannot stave off.

The good part about tinkering with Defense is that when it comes to CtH%, clvl/hlvl also factors in. And perhaps the player's own crowd ctrl skills have as much to do with the defensive capabilities of the party as Defense ratings. Besides, both Shaftstop & VGaze are excellent ingredients in a certain cube recipe on ladder...
-- Ryan
Between GW2, AirMech, Firefall and Torchlight 2, who has time for gaming? Smile
Quote:certain cube recipe on ladder

One assumes you mean the excetpional unique --> elite unique upgrade? I've considered this (if I could get the runes that is) but am unclear whether it would make enough of a difference to matter. And if it DOES make a big difference, would I be better off trading for armor with MUCH higher defense instead?

Is there a calculator that predicts CtH with different Defense levels and Monster types?
according to a upgrade calcualter
a 220% shafstop ugraded to boneweave can get 1616 def