Forum spam
(10-27-2010, 06:11 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: And, with the latest pond scum that slithered our way, I went looking for an ignore that I thought I remembered seeing something about, but I couldn't find. Is a user ignore just something I dreamed up or am I blind and not seeing it?

Under the user control panel there's a mange buddy/ignore list. I swear there used to just be a button on each person's posts for ignoring them, but I don't notice it now. Could have been in an older version.
Intolerant monkey.
I thought there was too, but I'm unsure what happened to it. Though, I now have this button to warn people. I don't know what that means, or if it is mod only, why I an use it in all the forums...
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(10-27-2010, 08:21 PM)shoju Wrote: I thought there was too, but I'm unsure what happened to it. Though, I now have this button to warn people. I don't know what that means, or if it is mod only, why I an use it in all the forums...

Because you're a mod on the Terenas Raiding forums.
So I can warn anyone anywhere? Wow... I feel important Smile
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(10-30-2010, 12:06 AM)shoju Wrote: So I can warn anyone anywhere? Wow... I feel important Smile

Dunno about anyone. I thought about testing by warning Bolty but then he wouldn't heal me anymore. Sad
I can totally warn you Smile I thought about doing it, but then, I wasn't sure if it was reversible, so I decided not to. I clicked on Bolty's Warn button and was give a "You do not have the rights to warn this user". That was cool Smile
(11-01-2010, 01:15 PM)shoju Wrote: "You do not have the rights to warn this user".

Owned.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Indeed I was Smile That is ok though, everything has been going well at work this morning so something had to own me.
(11-01-2010, 01:15 PM)shoju Wrote: I can totally warn you Smile I thought about doing it, but then, I wasn't sure if it was reversible, so I decided not to. I clicked on Bolty's Warn button and was give a "You do not have the rights to warn this user". That was cool Smile

I believe you can remove warnings so it's not irreversible but I don't think you and I can warn outside our respective forums.

Edit: I was wrong. Your 20% warning will remove in 1 hour. Big Grin
That is truly fantastic. At least it gives us a baseline of how it works.
Oh cool. I can manually revoke it by clicking on your warning level.
Should I be able to ban people? I was checking out our newest reply bot, and found that I could indeed ban them. I didn't, because I didn't want to overstep anything, but.... hey, if I have the power, and it isn't going to bug anyone, I will smite the bot!
(11-02-2010, 02:12 PM)shoju Wrote: Should I be able to ban people? I was checking out our newest reply bot, and found that I could indeed ban them. I didn't, because I didn't want to overstep anything, but.... hey, if I have the power, and it isn't going to bug anyone, I will smite the bot!

You do indeed have the power to ban people. However I only ban when it is clearly a spambot/advertiser. Unfortunately the latest spammer is just on the side of perhapsit'shuman.
I put him down for a 1 day ban, and I'm sending a PM, to see if it is a real person who knows you, or is a bot bot.
(07-21-2011, 03:02 AM)aijing2012 Wrote: Refrigerator was the only admin in the D2 boards. The "Report Spam" button sends a message to the forum moderator.

redwall hotel beijing

This is funny.

"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
My head has imploded at this......
Does MyBB allow daily post caps based on user levels? Restricting new posters to a low number of posts per day would have cut down the amount of spam we got hit with today.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(11-19-2012, 05:55 PM)LennyLen Wrote: Does MyBB allow daily post caps based on user levels? Restricting new posters to a low number of posts per day would have cut down the amount of spam we got hit with today.

Indeed it does. I have set it to 20 for the time being. That should stop the spammers from posting 1000+ in a few hours as they did today.

Unless they make a whole ton of accounts instead.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(11-19-2012, 06:56 PM)Bolty Wrote: Indeed it does. I have set it to 20 for the time being. That should stop the spammers from posting 1000+ in a few hours as they did today.

Twenty may be about nineteen and a half too many.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I killed the spammers pretty thoroughly on a phpbb board I ran for my old WoW guild by requiring a question to be answered that spammers wouldn't know the answer to. In that case, it was "who is the guild leader" which is pretty easy to look up on the armory or ask someone in-game. For here, maybe ask what game brought them here? Answers could be Diablo, DIII, Warcraft, WoW, ...any common variants of the games folks play here.

That may not stop it if there's a human who can understand the board names, but it should at least stop the automated captcha breakers.