New Spirit Regeneration = Combat Drinking
NEW SPIRIT REGENERATION = COMBAT DRINKING

(Originally posted on the Blizzard forums)

Last night, during the long debates on how the "no mana regen for 5 seconds after casting" rule will affect gameplay, I argued that many people's apocalyptic attitudes toward spirit were unfounded. Some claimed that there were never spaces of 5 seconds or more during which priests could take a break in combat. I reponded that that was an obvious falacy, since when drinking was allowed in combat, I remember a lot of times when I was able to take a break in the middle of combat to regen mana for a while. It takes some skill and coordination to arrange for such breaks, but it's certainly was possible. I was then told point blank that drinking and mana regen weren't even comparable, because spirit regeneration was no where near as fast as drinking regeneration and that drinking mana regeneration starts immediately whereas the new spirit regeneration starts 5 seconds after you cast. These ideas were taken as fact, even though no information had come out yet from people who had actually played the new patch.

This morning, we finally received concrete information on the new patch in a wonderful thread started by I Minerval that gives us translated information from Korean players who have already begun playing with the new patch. Among the information included was this nugget:

Quote:In general, the effectiveness of SPIRIT has increased significantly.
Pre-patch: Every 15 spirit, you get 1 mana per tick.
Post-patch: Every 3 spirit, you get 1 mana per tick.
(Mana pool seems to make no difference whatsoever.)
The problem is with the new rule (as stated in the patch notes) where you get no mana recovery for 5 seconds after your attack.

Hmmm... I thought to myself. That's a pretty massive change. Time to do some calculations. My lvl 55 priestess has over 300 spirit which would translate to 100 mana/tick under the new system. Morning Glory Dew restores 2773 mana over 40 seconds which translates to 69 mana/tick. That plus the spirit regeneration under the old system would translate to around 100 mana/tick of regeneration while drinking. So, in a way, this new spirit mana regeneration system is like...(drumroll)... drinking in combat!

Those who remember drinking in combat will know how powerful this can be. Far from being "useless," spirit has become very powerful in the hands of a person who alters their tactics to take mana regeneration into account. Some examples of tactics include:

1. Using "burst" casting. That is, it'll become better to cast a burst of spells and take a break between bursts than spread spell casting over time. This change is going to be fantastic for me when I'm soloing, because that's my MO anyway. I typically cast shield, pain, and mind blast in rapid succession and then whack at a mob with my staff three or four times, and then repeat. When I'm whacking at a mob, I'll be regening mana at an incredibly fast rate. I'll bet that when soloing normal mobs, I'll end up having a full tank of mana after each battle. This burst casting also applies in groups. Instead of spreading healing spells out over time, one can burst heal everyone and then cast nothing for a little bit to take a break.

2. The "top off" technique. This is a form of burst casting, but it deserves its own mention. In a well organized group battle where the warrior tank is taking all the damage, one can heal the warrior to full, cast shield and renew on him, and then take a break. When drinking was allowed in combat, I found this to be an excellent way to take a 10 second drinking break.

3. Use healer rotations. If one's group has a secondary healer, one can tell the secondary healer to take over healing for 20 seconds while the priest regens mana. Then, when the secondary healer starts to get low on mana, the priest can take over again, allowing the secondary healer to regen mana again.

4. Use teamwork. For example, before big battles, I would often arrange with my warrior tank that when I needed to take a break, I'd yell "SHIELD." This was the signal for the warrior to use that shield ability of theirs to reduce damage taken by 75% for 10 seconds. That was always a great way to buy some extra mana regeneration time for me.

5. Preshield important group members. One can shield one's tank and mages prior to combat so that you don't have to cast heals at the start of combat and regen mana during that time. One should be doing this anyway, but the new rule will give people more incentive to do so.

However, as Kiyoraka pointed out to me, the trouble with the spirit = combat drinking analogy is that combat drinking mana regeneration kicked in instantly whereas one has to wait for five seconds for the new spirit regeneration to kick in. This gives a tremendous advantage to the old combat drinking over the new spirit regeneration mechanism. No question. I can't argue with that. However, if we're going to compare the two, we also have to weigh the advantages that the new spirit mana regeneration system has over the old in combat drinking system:

1. One can still do stuff while regenning mana in the new system whereas in the old combat drinking system, one could only drink. Examples include:
a) Using one's weapons to deal damage.
b) Using engineering items like bombs and trinkets to mess with the enemy.
c) Bandaging players who are hurt but are not currently taking damage. (For example, a mage who was being attacked but cast frost nova to get away from his or her attackers could be bandaged).
d) Using alchemy items to heal oneself or damage the enemy (e.g. fire immolation potion).

2. One can use long casting time spells to mitigate combat drinking's advantage. The obvious example would be using Greater Heal, which has a 4-second cast time, to heal one's tank (a good tactic to use anyway, since it's the most mana efficient healing spell). One can use the "top off" technique described above. Then, one can take a break from casting spells for a few seconds while the mob(s) eat through the shield, renew effect, and some of the warrior's health. When about a third of the warrior's health has been removed, one can begin casting Greater Heal. Note that during the four seconds that it takes Greater Heal to cast, one continues to regen mana at an incredibly fast rate. This would not have been true under combat drinking. Of course, the warrior continues to take damage during the four seconds, but when the four seconds are up, he gets a massive heal. Result: healed warrior and a priest with lots of mana recovered. Rinse and repeat.

3. The new mana regeneration system is going to be awesome outside of combat. According to the patch notes, drinks have been improved. Combine this with the new fast spirit regen, and it'll be like we're double drinking outside of combat. The downtime is going to be cut in half, something I will be very happy about. I hate slowing up an entire group as they wait for me to drink out of combat. I don't want to emphasize this point too much, because I know that what really matters is what happens during combat. However, this will remove a significant annoyance factor for me.

So what's my conclusion? From what I've read, I'm going to like this change. It's going to take more skill and planning to take advantage of the new spirit regeneration mechanism, but I consider that to be a good thing. To those of you who are planning to dump your +spirit gear, because you think it'll be worthless in the upcoming patch, all I can say is that I'll be happy to take your +spirit gear off your hands.
You are right that people probably overestimate the impact of this, and it will be possible to work under current system still. However let me point out a nit:

Quote:Hmmm... I thought to myself. That's a pretty massive change. Time to do some calculations. My lvl 55 priestess has over 300 spirit which would translate to 100 mana/tick under the new system. Morning Glory Dew restores 2773 mana over 40 seconds which translates to 69 mana/tick. That plus the spirit regeneration under the old system would translate to around 100 mana/tick of regeneration while drinking. So, in a way, this new spirit mana regeneration system is like...(drumroll)... drinking in combat!

No.

Tick ~ 2 secs

That means you actually regenerate about 138 mana per "tick" with drink. Also, there will probably be a new drink at 55, along with inmproved drinks, you will probably regenerate about 250 mana per tick from drinking alone. So spirit still will not be like drinking in combat. But yes, it is manageable - for example anothing thing you could do in team combat is wait for the activation of 100% spirit regeneration bonus talent, then stop casting for a bit.

One thing that worries me was that someone said mana regeneration in combat was reduced, that it was much higher outside of battle. Don't quote me on this though, they might have mistranslated or misunderstood (or people just make all kinds of crazy statements), but that would be something to check, and which could potentially nullify the whole spirit = drinking in combat.

As for soloing, I think shamans and druids are best off with this change. A typical shaman battle would be a lead off with lightning bolt, then cast 3-4 totems, and just whack away at the mob the rest of the time. Since the rest of the battle shaman doesn't need to cast any spells, he can regenerate easily all the mana he spent on totems+pulling, if not more. No downtime ever. Similarly for druid.
Quote:No.

Tick ~ 2 secs

That means you actually regenerate about 138 mana per "tick" with drink.

There's been some discussion about this on the Blizzard forums. Different people seem to be using different definitions of "tick." I always thought it was one second. Some people say two, some 2.5 seconds, some three. Who knows what definition the Korean guy who provided the numbers was using. Still, the general idea should survive even if the exact numbers are off.

Quote:Also, there will probably be a new drink at 55, along with inmproved drinks, you will probably regenerate about 250 mana per tick from drinking alone. So spirit still will not be like drinking in combat.

My point was that it was like the mana regeneration rate that we had when combat drinking was allowed in the past.

Quote:One thing that worries me was that someone said mana regeneration in combat was reduced, that it was much higher outside of battle. Don't quote me on this though, they might have mistranslated or misunderstood (or people just make all kinds of crazy statements), but that would be something to check, and which could potentially nullify the whole spirit = drinking in combat.

Yeah, I saw that too, but I suspect that the person was saying that it was "effectively" much higher outside of combat, since in combat you will obviously be casting spells. We'll see when we can actually play the patch, though.

Quote:As for soloing, I think shamans and druids are best off with this change. A typical shaman battle would be a lead off with lightning bolt, then cast 3-4 totems, and just whack away at the mob the rest of the time. Since the rest of the battle shaman doesn't need to cast any spells, he can regenerate easily all the mana he spent on totems+pulling, if not more. No downtime ever. Similarly for druid.

Definitely true for shamans. I don't know about Druids. It depends on what happens to their mana regeneration in their shapeshifted forms. Druids are largely casters in humanoid form and are weak meleers. If they can cast a bunch of spells in humanoid form, shapeshift to some animal form to attack for a bit while they regen mana, and then shapeshift back and cast more spells, then this would be very powerful for them.
Quote:It depends on what happens to their mana regeneration in their shapeshifted forms. Druids are largely casters in humanoid form and are weak meleers. If they can cast a bunch of spells in humanoid form, shapeshift to some animal form to attack for a bit while they regen mana, and then shapeshift back and cast more spells, then this would be very powerful for them.

We're not weak, we're DPS-challenged. :)

As of the last patch, druid mana regenerates in shifted forms. The problem will be that it takes mana to shift, so no shifting while tapped out. I understand some of the new talents will reduce shifting cost. It'll also take some practice to know when your mana is topped off, since there's no mana display while shifted.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
We'll just have to wait and see once the servers come back up (my bet is probably Tuesday at the earliest given how long it takes to build a cluster -- quickest I've ever been able to do it was 8 hours from install of O/S to cluster being ready for use with an SQL database and that was with minor errors that needed to be corrected later, about an hour's work).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Sep 19 2004, 11:37 PM Wrote:We'll just have to wait and see once the servers come back up (my bet is probably Tuesday at the earliest given how long it takes to build a cluster -- quickest I've ever been able to do it was 8 hours from install of O/S to cluster being ready for use with an SQL database and that was with minor errors that needed to be corrected later, about an hour's work).
Yeah, maybe. It depends on how much of the equipment was fried if any, and of course, how soon the hosting facility is able to get things in shape enough to allow Blizzard to reinstall things.
MongoJerry,Sep 19 2004, 05:27 PM Wrote:Yeah, maybe.  It depends on how much of the equipment was fried if any, and of course, how soon the hosting facility is able to get things in shape enough to allow Blizzard to reinstall things.
After seeing the shot that Blizzard has of the building (much better shot than what SoE had up), if I was Blizzard, I would seriously be thinking about moving my hosting to another data center. If you look at the picture, the building looks like one of those prefab concrete buildings (the walls are maybe 3 to 4 inches thick). If I was going to put my servers into a data center someplace, I would want a very structurally sound building. From the picture Blizzard has, it looks like the roof was taken off and the prefab walls fell inward because there was no trusses to hold the walls up in that area. Looking at it, I'm surprised the building didn't collapse on itself to be honest.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Mongo,

So far all your discussions about this have been related to how the priest operates. I know you're a very experienced priest player. But the whole "cast a few spells, then whip out the wand/staff/mace" argument does not work for a mage.

Just saying, remember that the priest is not the only caster class. When soloing, mages cast *constantly.* Yes, in a group, mages can use a wand and such, but a mage cannot melee against monsters and survive playing solo due to a complete lack of healing.

What this does in groups is slow the mage's nuking efforts. Spend all your mana in a fight, then stop and drink - or cast a few spells in a fight, and have less downtime.

Warlocks - same boat as priests, generally Warlocks cast their DoTs and then whack/wand at a creature. This will help them. But the whole class is getting overhauled at some point, so who knows.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Sep 19 2004, 11:48 PM Wrote:So far all your discussions about this have been related to how the priest operates.  I know you're a very experienced priest player.  But the whole "cast a few spells, then whip out the wand/staff/mace" argument does not work for a mage.
Yeah, I'm with Bolty here. 5 seconds is a LONG time to wait for a mage. They kill fast, but they also die equally fast. Personally, if I ran out of mana and had to wait 5 seconds for mana regen, I'd just run away and find a nice safe spot to drink and eat. If I was in a dungeon or instance, I'd just die a horrible death.

Once a mage is out of mana, the only thing he can do is dance around and look pretty until he gets enough mana back to cast something strong enough to kill an enemy (or sheep it). Sure, he can TRY to use his staff and/or wand, but he'll be dead before that 5 seconds is up.
Bolty,Sep 20 2004, 02:48 AM Wrote:Mongo,

So far all your discussions about this have been related to how the priest operates.  I know you're a very experienced priest player.  But the whole "cast a few spells, then whip out the wand/staff/mace" argument does not work for a mage.

Just saying, remember that the priest is not the only caster class.  When soloing, mages cast *constantly.*  Yes, in a group, mages can use a wand and such, but a mage cannot melee against monsters and survive playing solo due to a complete lack of healing.

What this does in groups is slow the mage's nuking efforts.  Spend all your mana in a fight, then stop and drink - or cast a few spells in a fight, and have less downtime.

Warlocks - same boat as priests, generally Warlocks cast their DoTs and then whack/wand at a creature.  This will help them.  But the whole class is getting overhauled at some point, so who knows.

-Bolty
Apparently there are several bugs in the new patch that make soloing with a mage pretty impossible.

Quote:1. Every monster attacks at a close range.
Ex) When you cast your first fireball or frostbolt at an enemy, the enemy starts coming toward you with its arms flailing. The problem is the monster starts attacking you at the moment the monster is attacked, no matter how far the monster is from the caster. Thus, there is no point in casting spells at a long range.

2. When you cast your first spell at a monster, and the spell hits the target, the target starts running toward you. When the mage starts casting the second spell, he/she gets the message, "You cannot cast spells when moving," and the spell casting gets cancelled.

3. When a mage is across a body of water from a monster, and he/she casts a spell at the monster, the monster will of course come running toward you. The moment the mosnter enters the water, YOU the caster gets the breathing gauge. Funny bug it seems.

Uh ouch =( Compared to this, 5 second rule is a minor inconvinience.
lemekim,Sep 20 2004, 01:00 AM Wrote:Apparently there are several bugs in the new patch that make soloing with a mage pretty impossible.
Haha, what the hell? Where did you see this? This sounds like a joke.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx...&p=1#post322236
I still don't see it, and I'm not about to wade through 20 pages of that thread just to read a 3rd hand report of it.
Quote: Yeah, I'm with Bolty here. 5 seconds is a LONG time to wait for a mage. They kill fast, but they also die equally fast. Personally, if I ran out of mana and had to wait 5 seconds for mana regen, I'd just run away and find a nice safe spot to drink and eat.

That could work. Or perhaps you could sheep the mob and let your mana regen then. I presume that that would be more than plenty of mana to kill one normal mob. If you're being swamped by multiple mobs when you're out of mana, well, yeah, you'd better run just like everyone else would.

Quote:If I was in a dungeon or instance, I'd just die a horrible death.

Dungeons and instances are designed for groups, so that again sounds reasonable.

Mages can kill mobs much faster than priests can and can kill multiple mobs on one mana bar. Perhaps mages should keep to their +int builds. That way, they can kill several mobs on one tank of gas and then use the new fast regen and better drinks to regen mana fast out of combat. It should be easier to do that in this patch, as I understand you get more mana per int point now.

Note: I'm going to ignore the bugs Lem reported for now. I agree they sound like a joke or if they're not, maybe Blizzard is holding the US patch in order to fix them. I can't imagine that things that big would get through QA.
Just read the summary by AeigisFang: first post on page 17, first section under "bugs".

Edit: spelling.

On a happier note, speaking of drinking, you now weave when you walk if you are drunk. This may make it harder for ranged attackers to target you.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
There is a summary on every page since page 17. I personally believe the person, and if you think things like that don't get past QA... Just think of all the various bugs in just this last patch that were really easily spotted by players maybe 1 minute into the new patch. On the other hand, that probably can be fixed by server patch, and we might not have to deal with them by the time we get the new patch.