Bush campaign website blocking access
Munkay,Oct 29 2004, 01:52 PM Wrote:5?

Ha!  New Hampshire has 3.  Bush, Kerry, Nader.

Speaking of Missouri, where abouts do you folks live?  I visited Kansas City this summer and loved it.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]58623[/snapback][/right]

We had three here in Texas. Pres Bush, Senator Kerry, and Libertarian.

Also at the booth was a list of nine or ten eligible write in's, which included Mr Nader, and a bunch of names I did not recognize.

Glad I am done with that duty. This election did not leave me a lot of people to vote for, but I did vote against our local tax assessor collector, as pay back for last years non basis driven property tax boost. Yeah, I took a face shot on that one, and decided payback was due. (I have played golf with the guy twice, nice enough fellow, but that last round of the tax the homeowners nonsense hit me hard in the wallet.)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Rhydderch Hael,Oct 28 2004, 10:01 PM Wrote:Understandable. Site security, plus preventing of foreign denial-of-service spam attacks directed there.
[right][snapback]58506[/snapback][/right]

Having some script showing a different page fro people from Ip addresses it things are not american does not in ANY way help prevent or affect Denial-of-service attacks at all.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Nov 4 2004, 04:11 PM Wrote:Having some script showing a different page fro people from Ip addresses it things are not american does not in ANY way help prevent or affect Denial-of-service attacks at all.
[right][snapback]59260[/snapback][/right]
:unsure: How?
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Nov 5 2004, 11:02 PM Wrote::unsure: How?
[right][snapback]59394[/snapback][/right]

Ehh, forgive me for not being an expert on denial of service attacks, but basically you just flood a server with requets of some sort. Having the server deny shoing a page for someone due its IP doesn't mean you can't send requests to it.

Think of it this way, you want to have a prty, you will only let a certain type of people enter your house. Will that make it harder for people to get so many people together in your yard that no one can even get to your door? Of course not.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Nov 6 2004, 05:08 AM Wrote:Ehh, forgive me for not being an expert on denial of service attacks, but basically you just flood a server with requets of some sort. Having the server deny shoing a page for someone due its IP doesn't mean you can't send requests to it.

Think of it this way, you want to have a prty, you will only let a certain type of people enter your house. Will that make it harder for people to get so many people together in your yard that no one can even get to your door? Of course not.
[right][snapback]59446[/snapback][/right]

But the server doesn't have to process those blocked requests within its memory. It doesn't have to spit out its site information to those requests. It doesn't have to devote processor power nor it's— channels?— to send information back along those requests.

In other words, the party doesn't have to dole out any beer to the gate crashers, and the kegs don't get all that crowded.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Nov 6 2004, 04:18 PM Wrote:But the server doesn't have to process those blocked requests within its memory. It doesn't have to spit out its site information to those requests. It doesn't have to devote processor power nor it's— channels?— to send information back along those requests.

In other words, the party doesn't have to dole out any beer to the gate crashers, and the kegs don't get all that crowded.
[right][snapback]59452[/snapback][/right]

And what do you suppose "block" the calls? What do you suppose process the incomming call, send out requests (or do it all itself internally with huge data tables) to figure out were the IP might actually originate from? What do you suppose send out a page telling that the request is blocked (not sure it did or if it just ignore)? What do you suppose recieve the call to be blocked to start with and so on?