Mule creation for dummies
Do I have to play each mule in a game for at least 2 hours to ensure he/she gets "burned in"? I know I can't just start a game with a fresh character and walk away, because it will just time out after 15 minutes. I used to be able to just run into a safe corner of the Blood Moor and point at a wall and put a weight on SHIFT-attack, but it looks like that's not even doable.
I think it's actually 30 minutes before you get the boot. If you're around anyway, just come back and move him a couple steps every 20-30 minutes. Also, you don't have to have 2 hours the first shot. If you're going to be playing other characters, just open the mule for 5 minutes when you burn in a game for muling. Each time you open him, the ten day timer resets and eventually you'll have the two hours for him to be burned in. One other way I've had some success is with an identify scroll. Assign the scroll to the right mouse button. Hold down the right mouse button so it starts attempting to cast it over and over. Tape the button down so it keeps going. Move the pointer off the screen (assuming you're playing windowed) and it will keep attempting to cast. I have had success with that going 8 hours plus but I have also had it dump, apparently at the 30 minute mark. YMMV.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
DeeBye,Dec 17 2004, 12:07 AM Wrote:Do I have to play each mule in a game for at least 2 hours to ensure he/she gets "burned in"?  I know I can't just start a game with a fresh character and walk away, because it will just time out after 15 minutes.  I used to be able to just run into a safe corner of the Blood Moor and point at a wall and put a weight on SHIFT-attack, but it looks like that's not even doable.
[right][snapback]63014[/snapback][/right]
I gather that the way most people burn in mules when they don't want to actually play them is with the Charsi trick.

There is a point just to the right of the apex of the wall at your stash, where your character can just barely see Charsi when she is at her anvil. If you get the right spot, and Charsi is in the right spot, you can click on Charsi and put your character in a pathing loop. If the loop takes, Charsi won't move away from her anvil, and your character is safe for the burn-in. You just need to wait a few seconds, to make sure that Charsi never moved just as you clicked her.

I normally do this with any game I make, when I want to take a break without starting a new game. Once the character is in Act 5, you can use the stash loop point to hold your character. It's better than Charsi, simply because the stash doesn't move around as much.

-rcv-

channel1,Dec 17 2004, 01:42 AM Wrote:There is a point just to the right of the apex of the wall at your stash, where your character can just barely see Charsi when she is at her anvil.  If you get the right spot, and Charsi is in the right spot, you can click on Charsi and put your character in a pathing loop.  If the loop takes, Charsi won't move away from her anvil, and your character is safe for the burn-in.  You just need to wait a few seconds, to make sure that Charsi never moved just as you clicked her.

I normally do this with any game I make, when I want to take a break without starting a new game.  Once the character is in Act 5, you can use the stash loop point to hold your character.  It's better than Charsi, simply because the stash doesn't move around as much.

-rcv-
[right][snapback]63017[/snapback][/right]

Is this the right spot?
[Image: Screenshot001.jpg]

I clicked around until I found a spot that put my Barb mule into a spastic fit. He's currently running half-steps north and south.
Another trick is to make / join a game called Mule Parking and walk away.

Firstly, enough other people are doing it too so that there is virtually always enough 'activity' in the game to keep it open.

Second, those annoying 'bots will drop in fairly regularly to spam their advertisements, and that too will keep the game refreshed.

Two+ hours later, you can return to a fully burned in mule and start anew with another one. B)

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

DeeBye,Dec 17 2004, 01:23 AM Wrote:Is this the right spot?
I clicked around until I found a spot that put my Barb mule into a spastic fit.  He's currently running half-steps north and south.
ooo! Baby!
You've found The Right Spot!
channel1,Dec 17 2004, 08:41 PM Wrote:ooo! Baby!
You've found The Right Spot!
[right][snapback]63092[/snapback][/right]

Yes, I did indeed did (iddly diddly </Flanders>). I burned in three mules using this method while I was gone sleeping and/or shopping.

Thanks for the prompt and courteous advice. I shall recommend your newsletter to all my friends.

:wub: :wub: