Bnet new problem
Hi all.
First, I am new to this forum. I hope I'll find many friends here and play with them on B.NET . My name is Kamen Hristov and I am from Bulgaria. If you want to play with me at StarCraft: Brood War you can find me on europe realm - nick Koronis.

A week ago I've installed Windows XP Service Pack 2. And because of it something has become wrong with my bnet connection... I guess. I've been not able to connect to any ream at all... after re-installing SC: Brood War the problem was solved, but when I try to get connected to B.NET via Diablo 1 it keeps show me 'B.NET was unable to recognize your application version. Please re-install and try again'. I've re-installed, but no difference... and that in the time I was reaching 14 level with my 25 level Rogue and going to kill Diablo for the first time ( very hard indeed).
So, am I supposed to de-install SP2 for playing the game again? Or there is another solution of this problem?

Add: I am using Diablo original v1.09 and turned off Firewall and even Norton Antivirus but there is still the same problem.
Koronis,Dec 29 2004, 04:06 AM Wrote:and that in the time I was reaching 14 level with my 25 level Rogue and going to kill Diablo for the first time ( very hard indeed).
So, am I supposed to de-install SP2 for playing the game again? Or there is another solution of this problem?

Add: I am using Diablo original v1.09 and turned off Firewall and even Norton Antivirus but there is still the same problem.[right][snapback]63779[/snapback][/right]

Uninstalling the game does not require you to lose characters, so if you still have them, you can save them. They should be named multi_#.sv in your Diablo directory, where # is a single digit number. Note that after reinstalling, you must manually patch up to a modern Diablo version before copying the character files back into that location. I'd recommend using the freestanding patch executable from the Blizzard ftp server <http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo/patches/pc/drtl109.exe>.

There're a couple of reasons version check can fail, and unfortunately the error code provides no way to know which one is at fault. The ways, in order of decreasing probability:
* A game binary has become corrupted (possibly by a virus). Blizzard requires that you have the correct checksum on Diablo.exe, Storm.dll, and Battle.snp.
* Your game was slow to check, and the "right" answer changed while you were checking the files. This is highly unlikely, and the odds are against it occuring more than once.
* You're connecting to a server which has bad version information. I consider this unlikely, but it often affects people who use unofficial Battle.net emulators. Reinstall and patch to v1.09 manually and see if the problem persists.

At this point, I'd consider SP2 to be a coincidence. If the problem persists after a manual reinstall and freestanding patch, compute and post the CRC of your game files (these are visible in most "zip" programs when you add a file to the archive). We only need the checksums, not the files themselves.