I did some testing of +defense gear
I did a bit of testing with +defense gear in PvE and PvP as a 60 warrior. I did a duel with a level 60 shaman and let him beat on me. I don't know his base crit rate, but here are the findings:

With 330 defense, he had a 16% crit rate out of 130 swings.

With just slightly over 400 defense, he had an 8% crit rate out of 130 swings.

This isn't enough samples to get any sort of formula and still has the chance of being pure luck, but it does appear that +defense does have some effect in pvp. While you probably shouldn't focus on it for pvp since most of pvp encounters involve magical attacks, it's not completely wasted like some had theorized.

Then I updated cosmos and discovered its dps calculator now includes incoming attacks so I used it to test some more. The results are hot.

I had roughly 400 defense in this case as well. I wish I had remembered the exact value but it was within 5 points of 400 give or take. I tested this in molten core. This is versus molten giants, molten destroyers, firelords, lava annihilators, lava surgers, and baron geddon. All ranging from level 61 to 63, to whatever Baron Geddon is (presumably 63 as well, I don't think any bosses are higher).

Out of 1352 swings against me, only 11 of those were critical hits

That's a 0.8% rate. Of the attacks that actually landed and weren't dodged, blocked, or parried, it was 1.4% crit rate. One possible inaccuracy is that it didn't count blocked attacks as hits, and I don't know if blocked attacks can still be crits. If so, it probably left out a few crits as I blocked 220 attacks.

I'll need to do some testing with less defense gear and compare again, but it seems really nice.
you can still crit on a blocked attack, works like normal. noticed that when I was doing some parces off a paladin friend of mine.

From what I believe though, crit chance works sort of on alike ffxi formula str vs vit dmg ratio.

the higher your def skill vs my bow skill= influences base crit chance,

should also check though parry/dodge/block ratio cause i'm sure those are affected to by def vs weapon skill to