Question about an item
i began to play diablo in 1999. so there were really few legits, and a lots of hacks.
that being said, my question is simple for you veterans out there:
are those 'obsidian ring of the zodiac' and 'obsidian amulet of the zodiac' droppable? or they are plain hacks?

thank you.
They can drop. They are obscenely rare, however, so most of them out there are not legit.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
Due to the time involved in finding one, if anyone is willing to give you one, chances are it is not real. I found exactly one (and the stats were minimal) along with several Jade\heavens and plain zodiacs.
thank you for the info. :)
The above info also applies to Dragon/Zods.

-A
I have found one Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac before (+38% all, +18all), and it was purely luck. This was probably over 3-4 years ago. Thank god for the ability to save your char files, I still have the item. I remember it was a drop from a chest in Hell.

i found two of them. One was a ring and the other in amulet form. I did insane amounts of norm/hell runs to get these. Specifically hunting them down. I remember one of their stats: 40% resist all and 17 to attribs. I was quite lucky on the resist side of things.

Incedentily I managed to willingly part with one to my girlfriend at the time who was a rogue as a gift.

Selby,Jul 31 2005, 05:44 PM Wrote:Due to the time involved in finding one, if anyone is willing to give you one, chances are it is not real.  I found exactly one (and the stats were minimal) along with several Jade\heavens and plain zodiacs.
[right][snapback]84702[/snapback][/right]
gaidensensei,Aug 9 2005, 01:47 AM Wrote:I have found one Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac before (+38% all, +18all), and it was purely luck.  This was probably over 3-4 years ago.  Thank god for the ability to save your char files, I still have the item.  I remember it was a drop from a chest in Hell.
[right][snapback]85546[/snapback][/right]

those are darn nice stats man! and in a chest. must have been level 15. When i was doing my jewelry runs finding mine i picked up any BLUE: bastard swords & long swords, full plate mails, gothic/tower shields and to try and find other upper end gear. But my results for me made it seem like some items are even harder to find. Like Awesome full plate mail with good suffixes or any suffixes. I had full plate mail, (awesome) but it wasnt a very good one i dont recall. base 68 i think and maybe it was 137% bonus i dont even think there was a suffix honestly.

duner,Jul 30 2005, 09:42 PM Wrote:i began to play diablo in 1999. so there were really few legits, and a lots of hacks.
that being said, my question is simple for you veterans out there:
are those 'obsidian ring of the zodiac' and 'obsidian amulet of the zodiac' droppable? or they are plain hacks?

thank you.
[right][snapback]84675[/snapback][/right]

they are quite findalbe. just very rare. there are some players who have been around from the begining who have only found 4 or 5 and some who have found none.

they can only be found in hell and from the bigger bad guys. blood knights, doom guards, advocates, etc

i tend to find my best rings and ammies on norm difficult but thats just me
If you realy want to know wat is and isn't droppable, julfurs guide has all the calculations to tell you wat is possible to find.
Master DS5,Aug 23 2005, 08:23 PM Wrote:If you realy want to know wat is and isn't droppable, julfurs guide has all the calculations to tell you wat is possible to find.
[right][snapback]87041[/snapback][/right]
let us please remember that JG is not perfect by any means. and while a good referance one should not live by it
Lunan,Aug 23 2005, 04:36 PM Wrote:let us please remember that JG is not perfect by any means. and while a good referance one should not live by it

But Jarulf's Guide can answer most questions pertaining to data and formulas, which is what he was advocating. Obviously, one should question the veracity of something in JG if it directly conflicts with gaming experience, and usually if that happens someone here can explain what's going on.

-Lemmy
Lunan,Aug 23 2005, 08:36 PM Wrote:let us please remember that JG is not perfect by any means. and while a good referance one should not live by it
[right][snapback]87043[/snapback][/right]

Let us also please remember that although not perfect, Jarulf's is the most error-free, most comprehensive, and most informative D1 guide out there.

You know of a better one, link it.

Jarulf's Guide -- livin' by it and livin' large!

Attika
Attika,Aug 24 2005, 01:13 AM Wrote:Let us also please remember that although not perfect, Jarulf's is the most error-free, most comprehensive, and most informative D1 guide out there.

Jarulf's Guide -- livin' by it and livin' large!

Attika
[right][snapback]87065[/snapback][/right]
a better one is my own experiance. no guide. but its the diffrence between describing something and doing it
Lunan,Aug 23 2005, 10:32 PM Wrote:a better one is my own experiance. no guide. but its the diffrence between describing something and doing it

Understanding an algorithm is more efficient than testing all cases.

-Lemmy
Master DS5,Aug 23 2005, 04:23 PM Wrote:If you realy want to know wat is and isn't droppable, julfurs guide has all the calculations to tell you wat is possible to find.
[right][snapback]87041[/snapback][/right]

Lunan,Aug 23 2005, 04:36 PM Wrote:let us please remember that JG is not perfect by any means. and while a good referance one should not live by it
[right][snapback]87043[/snapback][/right]

Attika,Aug 23 2005, 09:13 PM Wrote:Let us also please remember that although not perfect, Jarulf's is the most error-free, most comprehensive, and most informative D1 guide out there.

[right][snapback]87065[/snapback][/right]

Lunan,Aug 23 2005, 10:32 PM Wrote:a better one is my own experiance. no guide. but its the diffrence between describing something and doing it
[right][snapback]87067[/snapback][/right]

I am hereby challenging Lunan to "put up or shut up".

Please show everyone where Jarulf's Guide is incorrect with regards to item generation.

I know that JG does contain some errors, but as far as I know the descriptions of item generation is absolutely correct. Saying "JG is wrong" is easy. Prove it.
DeeBye,Aug 24 2005, 12:17 AM Wrote:Please show everyone where Jarulf's Guide is incorrect with regards to item generation.

I know that JG does contain some errors, but as far as I know the descriptions of item generation is absolutely correct.  Saying "JG is wrong" is easy.  Prove it.

Going by JG, Hellfire's list of un/findable unique items is incorrect. In mutliplayer, RoE cannot drop because Gladiator's Ring has a lower qlvl and exists at a higher position in the unique list. i.e. When game scans for a unique ring of qlvl > 9, it scans the list and finds GR at the very first position, thus dropping it. If the uniques were properly ordered, it would find GR for 9 < qlvl < 11 and RoE for qlvl > 10.

But, again, this is known from someone (Kp) reading the code. Gaming experience showed that RoE did not drop properly, but understanding the algorithm explains why it does not (which is important if one wishes to fix/avoid the problem in their own mods).

-Lemmy
Lunan,Aug 24 2005, 02:32 AM Wrote:a better one is my own experiance. no guide. but its the diffrence between describing something and doing it
[right][snapback]87067[/snapback][/right]

Mmmmm, we'll let your spelling experiances speak for themselves.

Here's to diffrence!

Hail Lunan! You crack me up!

LemmingofGlory,Aug 24 2005, 01:22 PM Wrote:Going by JG, Hellfire's list of un/findable unique items is incorrect. In mutliplayer, RoE cannot drop because Gladiator's Ring has a lower qlvl and exists at a higher position in the unique list. i.e. When game scans for a unique ring of qlvl > 9, it scans the list and finds GR at the very first position, thus dropping it. If the uniques were properly ordered, it would find GR for 9 < qlvl < 11 and RoE for qlvl > 10.

But, again, this is known from someone (Kp) reading the code. Gaming experience showed that RoE did not drop properly, but understanding the algorithm explains why it does not (which is important if one wishes to fix/avoid the problem in their own mods).

-Lemmy
[right][snapback]87086[/snapback][/right]

That particular table is actually a bit of a sorrow for me since I have never got to fix it and the text associated with it (including notes in other places in the guide regarding the issue). More specifically, this is how they morph in a new game. Right now, it only talks about the Lightforge for this for example. The error you mention is a known one and it, among a few others (including clearing up the mess of uniques that does not drop) is actually fixed in a not finnished and not released v1.63 version of the Guide. I do have a list of errors in form of saved mails and my own notes that I have tried to update. Unfortunately I never got arround to finnish it completely and also unfortunately, I think I have not made a complete list of each little change (as for 1.61 and 1.62 for example). Perhaps I get arround to it some time soon, it has been my intention for long. We have to see.

As always, I do still take submissions for errors in the guide, here they can be sent thorugh PM most easilly. My old mail, used for the guide before do no longer work by the way.

I can't off the top of my head tell if there is any known errors in the guide regarding item creation other than the one associated with non dropable uniques. I think there might have been one or two things I fixed, but I don't have the guide or notes here now but if you believe there is, please tell.

And yes, I looked over the relevant code section before replying now since it was so long ago that I didn't want to speak out of my memory alone about the exact mechanism of unique selection. Interestingly enough, there is a non used random selection roll but the result is discarded, one can only speculate what it was supposed to do, probably pick among the selcted possible uniques.

As it is now, the game goes through all uniques, building a list with the ones that fullfill the level requirements and is of the correct type marked. It will not mark allready droped items if it is a single player game. Next it makes the Rnd[10] roll and ignore the result. It then starts from the start of the list of unique items again, going thorugh it all until it reaches the last item marked in the list previously built and drop that one (it goes through until it has passed the number of uniques marked as the counter of how many it marked first). That seems to at least sugest there was some sort of randomness to which one to pick as oposed to the current, drop the one of sufficiently high level that is last in the list of uniques. Oh well, the mysteries of code and comments that won't end up compiled :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.