Avarice Alliance takes down Onyxia again...
Olon97,Oct 16 2005, 04:05 AM Wrote:When I'm not MT'ing Onyxia I wear 224 unbuffed FR (as opposed to 275 unbuffed vs. Rag), has helped my unhealed survivability a bit. ;)
[right][snapback]92287[/snapback][/right]

I think Gnolack is the highest FR of all the tanks in the avarice alliance and my max unbuffed FR isn't up to your 224. :) Anadrol and I are tanking her around 150 unbuffed FR to keep the stam and def up higher. Though Anadrol tanks her more often than I do as I'm still looking at +13 stam and +7 stam on my two best +stam rings and he has +20's and +16 I think. :) Yeah I have no luck with getting rings. :) But I still will generally break 7K buffed HP so I'm not too bad off. My best +stam weapon is +5 right now as well and I believe he has a +12. Never had much luck with one handed weapons on the little gnome either. :) I'm up around 190 unbuffed when I'm not tanking her though. But for the whole fight with her if I'm MT there is more physical damage done than fire damage so I don't buff FR at the expense of too much stam or damage avoidance.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Oct 16 2005, 07:56 PM Wrote:Anadrol and I are tanking her around 150 unbuffed FR to keep the stam and def up higher.
[right][snapback]92335[/snapback][/right]

Be afraid: my unbuffed FR wearing my STA set is now 134! (The only difference between the two sets right now, honestly, is a ring -- trading off either +19 FR, or +13 STA. Everything else, my "FR" gear is also the superior STA item at this stage.)
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Gnollguy,Oct 16 2005, 03:56 PM Wrote:I think Gnolack is the highest FR of all the tanks in the avarice alliance and my max unbuffed FR isn't up to your 224.  :)  Anadrol and I are tanking her around 150 unbuffed FR to keep the stam and def up higher.  Though Anadrol tanks her more often than I do as I'm still looking at +13 stam and +7 stam on my two best +stam rings and he has +20's and +16 I think.  :)  Yeah I have no luck with getting rings.  :)  But I still will generally break 7K buffed HP so I'm not too bad off.  My best +stam weapon is +5 right now as well and I believe he has a +12.  Never had much luck with one handed weapons on the little gnome either.  :)  I'm up around 190 unbuffed when I'm not tanking her though.  But for the whole fight with her if I'm MT there is more physical damage done than fire damage so I don't buff FR at the expense of too much stam or damage avoidance.
Plain FR greens probably aren't worth it on her. There's a good argument to be made for keeping your DI gear on once you have it though.

At 224 FR (284 buffed), this is how her damage has broken down on me (over multiple attempts, tracked with Combat Monitor):
Average physical: 776 (crit ~1500)
Average physical special abilities: 687 (crit ~1300)
Average fire: 2,574

Clearly the flame breath is the burst damage, mitigating it makes healing more predictable.

As for %s, including resisted damage (assuming 3500 for full resists):
Physical: 1,607k (81.6%)
Fire: 361k (18.3%)
- so yes, more of her damage is physical

How does that break down into actual totals on DI gear (and other mix/match - 7826 armor, 14% block, and 284 buffed FR)?
Physical - only 516k taken.
Fire - only 126k taken.
Moral of the story - once you get your DI gear (good armor, good stam, good FR), wear it for Onyxia. It is well worth it.

[edit: factored in dodge/parry into pre-mitigation & avoidance physical damage #]
Olon97,Oct 16 2005, 09:35 PM Wrote:Average physical: 776 (crit ~1500)
Average physical special abilities: 687 (crit ~1300)
Average fire: 2,574
[right][snapback]92344[/snapback][/right]

Thus showing in numbers why I love putting Mind Numbing poison on my daggers :)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I do wear my DI stuff that I have against her but I only have the helm, chest, and shoulders. I also wear the flamewalker legs and the Onyxia scale cloak witha +5 all resist enchant on it (or maybe that one is +7 FR) but still I can't get that high. :) Legs and helm have an FR libram on them as well.

But as you showed and as I mentioned the overall damage is still more physical than it is fire in that fight. Her breath attack is also very obvious and I know when I'm healing in there as a druid or paladin (I doin't have a 60 priest) that is very easy for me to time it so that I land my biggest heal right after the breath hits. So yeah, FR smooths out the spikes but the spikes aren't that big when you are looking at a 6.5 to 7K life pool you can still take 2 of them without a heal and still give the healers time to hit you.

It's not like I take off all my FR gear but I do still try to balance out HP and FR when I'm tanking her.

I don't have my numbers recorded (I usually just wipe them after looking at them instead of saving them) but they are pretty similar to what you showed.

Again it's not that I don't want the higher FR but when you're over 8K armor buffed and still holding 350 defense with that 150 unbuffed FR, well it's not so bad, that is still 210+ buffed FR. Getting to the 260 or so buffed FR at the cost of 400+ life, 800 or so armor and 30 or so def (which is 1.2% block, dodge and parry or 2.4% physical damage avoidance with some extra mitigation and a better chance to avoid crits). 50 FR just isn't worth it. Not when a smart healer can watch her, start the greater heal or top rank healing touch, and have it land within 1 second of you taking the breath damage. Even in phase three I've not had issues timing my heals after a fear. The bigger danger is getting a physical crit right after her breathing on you since she doesn't breath that fast.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.