Macintosh
i recently bought an powerbookg4, and i never used an mac before..
since i am an huge diablo fan, i was wondering if i could play the diablo win version on the mac (because i really doubt i´ll find an mac version for it)

i hope someone can help me , by telling me if its possible or not. if its possible, i would be most glad if 'told how...

thank you
and good bye :)
duner,Nov 11 2005, 03:15 PM Wrote:i recently bought an powerbookg4, and i never used an mac before..
since i am an huge diablo fan, i was wondering if i could play the diablo win version on the mac (because i really doubt i´ll find an mac version for it)

i hope someone can help me , by telling me if its possible or not. if its possible, i would be most glad if 'told how...
thank you
[right][snapback]94601[/snapback][/right]

I googled Diablo MAC and came up with several hits leading me to believe there are still MAC versions of D1 out there:

http://extreme-gamerz.org/diablo/viewdiablo/macfiles

I'm not to familiar with the MAC, but isin't there IBM-compatable converters that allow you can run IBM-PC programs on the MAC? You could probbably just use one of these converters if have trouble finding a MAC version.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Start - Program Files - Diablo - diablo.pdf (manual):

Quote:Getting STarTed (Mac)

System Requirements
Computer: Diablo requires a Mac OS computer with a PowerPC processor, and 16 megabytes of physical RAM plus Virtual Memory (32 megabytes of RAM recommended). For Multiplayer games of Diablo, 32 megabytes of RAM is required.

Operating System: Diablo requires System 7.5 or higher. Diablo has been tested on Mac OS 8.

Controls: A keyboard and mouse are required. If you have a two button mouse, please consult your mouse manual for instructions on configuring the second button to simulate a command ( ) click.

Drives: A hard drive and a double-speed or faster CD-ROM drive are required for installation and play. Video: Diablo requires that your computer support at least a 640 x 480 display in 256 colors.

Sound: Diablo will work with any Mac OS compatible systems built in sound.

Installation of Diablo
Place the Diablo CD into your CD-ROM drive. Double-click on the Diablo CD Icon, and then double-click on the “Diablo Installer” to copy the required game and  ystem files to your hard drive. The installer will present an abbreviated “Read Me”, please read this, as it will contain the most up to date information about Diablo.

=

The Diablo disc is both PC/Mac compatible.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
duner,Nov 11 2005, 05:15 PM Wrote:i recently bought an powerbookg4, and i never used an mac before..

thank you
[right][snapback]94601[/snapback][/right]
There is a Mac version of Diablo, but it sucks. I would recommend using the windows version on a PC if you can. Either keep your current PC or get a used Pentium. The Mac version has severe lag and desync when playing online and it does not recognize two button mice. To simulate the second mouse button you must hold the command key and click the mouse button. This is the same for Diablo2, though Diablo2 also recognizes two button mice. I think the mouse issue can be fixed if you have the proper mouse driver, but I never looked into it. Diablo for Mac only works in classic, so you either have to boot into OS 9 (if you can) or use the classic environment under OSX (which sucks). For comparison Diablo running under OS 9 on my old 266Mhz G3 out performs Diablo running under classic on OSX 10.2 on a 667Mhz G4. This is more astounding when you consider my G4 is not only a more powerful processor but it also has more RAM, a faster bus and a much better video card. It's so bad I get severe lag and desync while playing a private multiplayer game, I have not tried single player. Were Bliz to release a OSX native version of Diablo, like they did for Diablo2, then the only thing you would have issues with is lag and desync when playing online. But this will sadly never happen.

While you could probably run the windows version on a Mac using one of the free or commercial PC emulators the performance would be worse than playing it under the classic environment for OSX. The classic environment only has to reproduce parts of the system, a PC emulator has to reproduce the entire PC.
gee. thanks for the review lorance :)

and thanks to all you other posters too.
i guess the easy way is to keep an pc around...
duner,Nov 12 2005, 09:17 PM Wrote:gee. thanks for the review lorance :)

and thanks to all you other posters too.
i guess the easy way is to keep an pc around...
[right][snapback]94662[/snapback][/right]
Any time.

Keeping a PC around would be the easiest thing to do. It would also allow you to run other programs that only work on a PC, like Atma for Diablo2 if you play it. (Though Diablo2 runs mostly fine on a Mac.) Also Hellfire and other Diablo mods and helper programs are only available for PC.

An interesting tidbit for you and others, the save files for both Diablo and Diablo2 are the same for both PC and Mac versions. All you have to do is copy them in binary form (only important if you use FTP) and rename them.
I play the mac version all the time. In fact, it's the only one I play. Albeit in classic mode on OS X, which causes performance problems, but it's still very playable.
only for the update: i got my hands on a diablo copy for MAC :D
as lachdanan said, it runs good,, although there are some slight problems.. still very playable and entertaining.