Diablo SnapShots
Sorry to bother all people creating a brand new topic just for ask something.
I need to take Diablo 1 screeshots. I made a bet with some friends about who was capable of finish diablo with the mage, OK, OK everybody here already done this i know.
When i finish the game... i press the PrintScreen key while diablo was bleeding and after that, go to the "classic" Paint on WIN98 and paste but the result is all wrong...it appears all in black with some pixels in pink or something.
I want to know if there is any tool to take snapshots of the game, like all other snapshots all over the WEB.

Thank you for your time

PS: Sorry about the lame english, i'm brazilian and haven't finish the english class yet :blush:
"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy!"
jaderanderson,May 3 2006, 04:37 PM Wrote:Sorry to bother all people creating a brand new topic just for ask something.
I need to take Diablo 1 screeshots. I made a bet with some friends about who was capable of finish diablo with the mage, OK, OK everybody here already done this i know.
When i finish the game... i press the PrintScreen key while diablo was bleeding and after that, go to the "classic" Paint on WIN98 and paste but the result is all wrong...it appears all in black with some pixels in pink or something.
I want to know if there is any tool to take snapshots of the game, like all other snapshots all over the WEB.

Thank you for your time
PS: Sorry about the lame english, i'm brazilian and haven't finish the english class yet :blush:
[right][snapback]108849[/snapback][/right]

If you hit printscreen while in game (and the game acknowledges it -- look for a red flicker), the results are saved to screen##.pcx in your Diablo directory. This differs from normal Windows programs, which would copy the image to the clipboard.
� Wrote:Kp,May 3 2006, 08:02 PM]If you hit printscreen while in game (and the game acknowledges it -- look for a red flicker), the results are saved to screen##.pcx in your Diablo directory.  This differs from normal Windows programs, which would copy the image to the clipboard.
[right][snapback]108900[/snapback][/right]

Yes! There they are! Thanks man, isn't this just awesome?! I post a question, 7 hours later, bang, it's aswered. I spend a lot of time reading topics and really love this forum. I hope to participate more here, but first another question.

I have finish the game with all tree classes, tree times each but it just not fun anymore because it's too easy. Reading on Lurker Lounge i've found a list of mods for the game and choose the Abysmal Mod. It requires the 1.07 version of the game but i can't update...... you know why .... yes yes, i have a "cold" copy of Diablo CD, there...i say it....
Is there a way to extract the necessary files to do a "manual" update of the game? Or there is a way to dodge the update block?
Quote:but i can't update...... you know why .... yes yes, i have a "cold" copy of Diablo CD, there...i say it....
Is there a way to extract the necessary files to do a "manual" update of the game? Or there is a way to dodge the update block?

Neither I nor google knows what a 'cold copy' is, but I assume that you mean you don't have a physical CD. Since you are obviously able to play without it, you either have a copy of DIABDAT.MPQ in the Diablo directory, and are using a 'no cd' .dat, or you have an image of the original CD and are using Daemon Tools (or something similar) to mount the image.

I fiddled with the registry settings to see if I could get the 1.07 patch to run without either a physical CD or an image, but this didn't work. There may be a way, but quite frankly, I'm not interested enough to look into it further.

There are only six files (1.77Mb) that are changed from 1.07 -> 1.09, so if you can convince someone to send you their 1.07 files, you could make a copy of your own 1.09 directory and overwrite the six 1.09 files with the 1.07 ones. This is the only way of manually patching the game I can think of.

If you are playing from a CD image however, you can still run the patch. First, when you mount the image, note what drive letter you have assigned to it. Then, run Regedit and navigate to: My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Archives. Set the DiabloCD key to the drive letter you assigned the image. Now, when you run the patch, it won't fail the CD check.

Alternatively, spend US$10 and buy a copy of the CD.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
LennyLen,May 5 2006, 11:49 AM Wrote:Neither I nor google knows what a 'cold copy' is, but I assume that you mean you don't have a physical CD. Since you are obviously able to play without it, you either have a copy of DIABDAT.MPQ in the Diablo directory, and are using a 'no cd' .dat, or you have an image of the original CD and are using Daemon Tools (or something similar) to mount the image.
[right][snapback]109030[/snapback][/right]

Sorry about the "cold copy" expression, i was unable to find a expression to say "my CD is a clone", cold copy it's used here in Brasil. I guess my DiabloCD was bad copied (I copy him a long time ago using the "next, next, OK" method) because when I first install him I have to use a crack to get the game to work and the game don't update to 1.07.

Well, following the sugestion.... Does anyone in the mood to send me a .Zip or .Rar with the 1.07 files so i can play Abysmal?

About buying a Diablo original copy, i live in Brasil and finding a Diablo 1 copy here it's hard. US$ 10 here means R$ 21,00 + shipment costs....so, I ask again if anyone can send me the files! :P

Thanks again for the attention
as for your difficulty/challenge question:
- you can try the MODs indeed for alternative surroundings
- you can try playing on higher difficulties, or with fewer players.
- you can try variants, like not having your AC above 300, or using no gold at all, etc. Look around a bit on the sites and find something you want to give a try.
Characters: Standard Diablo Rogues: 'Paardenpoep' l36, 'Purechocolade' l31; Sorcerers 'Toverkol' l40, 'Zwarte Piet' l32, 'ZureHaring' l28 (no fb), Warrior 'Klotebeest' l29, LoL characters: rogues 'Roggebrood' l26 and 'Ironvrouw' l7, sorcerer ToverLol l20, warrior LolleBolleGijs l16 ironman character name 'Ironlady', read Toverlol's journey log
LennyLen,May 5 2006, 11:49 AM Wrote:Neither I nor google knows what a 'cold copy' is, but I assume that you mean you don't have a physical CD. Since you are obviously able to play without it, you either have a copy of DIABDAT.MPQ in the Diablo directory, and are using a 'no cd' .dat, or you have an image of the original CD and are using Daemon Tools (or something similar) to mount the image.

I fiddled with the registry settings to see if I could get the 1.07 patch to run without either a physical CD or an image, but this didn't work. There may be a way, but quite frankly, I'm not interested enough to look into it further.

There are only six files (1.77Mb) that are changed from 1.07 -> 1.09, so if you can convince someone to send you their 1.07 files, you could make a copy of your own 1.09 directory and overwrite the six 1.09 files with the 1.07 ones.  This is the only way of manually patching the game I can think of.

If you are playing from a CD image however, you can still run the patch. First, when you mount the image, note what drive letter you have assigned to it. Then, run Regedit and navigate to: My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Archives. Set the DiabloCD key to the drive letter you assigned the image. Now, when you run the patch, it won't fail the CD check.

[right][snapback]109030[/snapback][/right]
Problem solved... i have forgotten to set the registry back to my CD instead of the HD files, update to 1.07 , crack it.... go Abysmal!

Thanks
Hi,

jaderanderson,May 5 2006, 01:21 PM Wrote:I have finish the game with all tree classes, tree times each but it just not fun anymore because it's too easy.
[right][snapback]109026[/snapback][/right]

This sounds to me like you are talking about Single Player mode only, and if so, I would agree, it gets too easy after a while.

Other alternatives, if my conclusion is correct:

1) play Immortal Hero variants - each class has fairly simple equipment and spell restrictions, plus each character has only one life! Believe me, trying to go from dlvl 1 to 16 and killing Diablo without dying once, especially with the slight & logical restrictions, is challenging. For better or worse, this option allows you to stay in the Single Player framework (well, Pete described a solo-MP version of this, but I've not tried that).

Go here to read about IM: http://home.att.net/~dsf.glossary/immortal_hero.html

2) Play solo-MP - Diablo lets you play a Multi-player game by yourself, without even being hooked up to the internet. This gives you access to the 3 difficulty levels, plus because the monster density is higher, even the normal difficulty level is a little harder. Of course, you lose the convience of the game saves containing the total state of the game.

Here's the entry I wrote for the DSF Glossary about solo-MP:

"This refers to playing MP by yourself; this can even be done without being hooked up to the Internet by choosing among either the IPX, Modem, or Direct Cable Connection choices. However, note that using the Modem setting can interfere with incoming voice calls!! [I found out the hard way; my 80+ year-old mother was baffled (and not amused!) by that screeching sound she kept getting when she called me :) ]

So, if you want to use the modem setting, it's best to unplug the phone line from your modem first. Also, I believe for the IPX setting to work, you have to have some basic Windows networking modules loaded, even if you aren't hooked up to a LAN. Thus, the Direct Cable Connection seems to be the best choice, but many people use one of the other two."

So, if you have been playing only SP, there are ways to increase the difficulty without going to mods.

I was going to point out to not overlook the Dark mod ( http://www.thedark5.com/frames/mainframe.html ), but then I remembered, I think that requires Hellfire to be installed, which it sounds like you don't have. Still, if you can get your hands on Hellfire, The Dark is worth checking out.

Regards,

Dako-ta
I am about 90% sure that I downloaded a 1.07 patch from battle.net (website) and ran it on version 1.09, and it worked.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!