Possible to LAN d1?
Hello,

My brother and I started playing d1 again and cannot figure out how to play with eachother through our network. Is it even possible to do so? If it is, how?

Does anyone run a server? If so how many d1 players do you have? My brother and I can't play on b.net together(latency). I think it is because we are using the same cable line(same ext. ip#). I'd really like to try some other servers. We are both legit to the core.
Quote:My brother and I started playing d1 again and cannot figure out how to play with eachother through our network. Is it even possible to do so? If it is, how?

It's certainly possible. That's what the IPX option is for.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
When I click on IPX it says, "Unable to initialize selected connection method." Do you think I need to configure my pc differently?
Either your PC, your network, or both.
You need to install the IPX protocol on both computers.
Quote:Hello,

My brother and I started playing d1 again and cannot figure out how to play with eachother through our network. Is it even possible to do so? If it is, how?

Does anyone run a server? If so how many d1 players do you have? My brother and I can't play on b.net together(latency). I think it is because we are using the same cable line(same ext. ip#). I'd really like to try some other servers. We are both legit to the core.

Most likely this indicates the use of an inferior NAT device which cannot (or at least, is not yet) mangling packets correctly. You will have the same problem regardless of what server you play on. If you want to fix it, look for documents on "port forwarding." Also, you may need to change the UDP port on which Diablo listens. Depending on your NAT device, it may be smart enough to make everything else work once you get different UDP ports. Search for "Game Data Port" in relation to Blizzard games for information on changing the UDP port.
yeah what he said.:)
That did the trick, thanks!
Quote:That did the trick, thanks!

The port forwarding or installing IPX? Both are valid fixes, albeit for different problems.
Quote:Kp' date='Oct 17 2006, 11:51 PM' post='119087']
The port forwarding or installing IPX? Both are valid fixes, albeit for different problems.

ipx. I couldnt try the port forwarding for better b.net latency because I have a dynamic external IP. I'll just have to deal with that. I'm more happy being able to LAN though.
Hi,

Quote:ipx. I couldnt try the port forwarding for better b.net latency because I have a dynamic external IP. I'll just have to deal with that. I'm more happy being able to LAN though.
Dynamic external IP doesn't matter to port forwarding or setting up a machine in the DMZ. You do need to set static IPs for the machines whose ports you are forwarding instead of having the router issue them IP addresses.

Other than that, I wish I could help you since I have much the same problem. I spent some time trying to work it a short while ago (about a month or so). It is pretty easy to set up one machine with either port forwarding or DMZ to play D1 on b.net. But I was not able to get two to do it. It seems that you need to forward the whole range (6112-6119) of UDP and TCP ports to/from each machine. But that causes conflicts. On my network, whichever machine grabs the connection first gets all the data and the other machine just times out. There's a lot of good info here.

The only way I think it will work is to get a second IP address from your ISP. Not all ISPs will do this, and AFAIK, they'll all charge if they do. So, the question is do you want to pay extra to play a ten year old game online. Our decision was (for now) not to.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

You are right Pete. I just tried it on b.net and it is working for one computer. Portforward.com is a really good site, I've been there many times in the past few days.

Quote:n my network, whichever machine grabs the connection first gets all the data and the other machine just times out.

My router will not even let me configure it so that two comps share same ports.

Thanks for all your help everybody. Now at least one of my compters can play on b.net and I can LAN!
You do not need multiple external IP addresses to allow multiple computers to play online. However, as may be guessed from my frequent references to "inferior" NAT devices, not all NAT devices are capable of the packet rewriting required for this to work with a single IP address. Without knowing which device is troubling you, I cannot give specific advice. I can tell you that it is definitely possible. I have been doing it since Diablo v1.07 and it works perfectly. If your device is capable of getting it right at all, here's what to do:

Obligatory warning: this involves some (minor) registry editing. The changes are not dangerous, however careless registry editing (read: deleting or modifying values you don't understand) can render a system unbootable. Follow these instructions carefully and you should be fine.

Designate the internal computers as C1...CN for however many computers you want to use. On systems C1...CN, open regedit and navigate to the folder "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battle.net\Configuration". Create a new value named "Game Data Port" of type REG_DWORD. Edit the new value and set it to 6112+N-1. Note that regedit may default to entering values in hexadecimal. If so, switch to decimal first. When you're done, each computer will be configured to use a different port for UDP. It is not strictly necessary to set the Game Data Port on C1, but it's good practice for consistency. Close regedit. You're done with the dangerous part. Now, start Diablo and log on to battle.net with each system. Minimize Diablo and run netstat -an -p udp. You should see each system listening on a different port (6112, 6113, 6114, etc.). There may be other open UDP ports. They can be ignored for now. If you are very lucky, this may be sufficient to make Diablo work. If not, you will need to configure the NAT device to forward UDP port 6112 to C1, UDP port 6113 to C2, etc. The UDP qualifier is important. TCP and UDP are distinct protocols and forwarding TCP will not help at all in resolving this. Some devices cannot be configured to forward TCP and UDP separately. If there is no qualifier when the configuration speaks of ports, this may be the case. Just resign yourself to it forwarding both TCP and UDP.

Caveat: some devices may not fix up the packets well enough that both users can be in the same game. Mine can, so it is possible. This again delves into very device-specific configuration, so I cannot offer further guidance. Good luck.