Some bookmarks in Firefox completly gone...
I logged on my computer this afternoon and suddenly I'm missing the top three bookmark folders in my Bookmarks tab in Firefox 1.5.0.9. All of these folders were completely filled, mind-you, with bookmarks! I've been scouring the net but have found no answer to having only SOME of your bookmarks disappear - now if ALL of my bookmarks disappeared, apparently there is a plethora of information out there, but not if only some of the mysteriously disappear. Anyone have any ideas what the hell might be the cause? I'm so mad right now...
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
It may be the case that your bookmarks file corrupted just enough to kill a few folders, but not the entire file.

I would suggest making a backup of your bookmarks file, then taking a look at the HTML to see if there's something weird going on. It should be the file called bookmarks.html in your Firefox profile folder.
Quote:I logged on my computer this afternoon and suddenly I'm missing the top three bookmark folders in my Bookmarks tab in Firefox 1.5.0.9. All of these folders were completely filled, mind-you, with bookmarks! I've been scouring the net but have found no answer to having only SOME of your bookmarks disappear - now if ALL of my bookmarks disappeared, apparently there is a plethora of information out there, but not if only some of the mysteriously disappear. Anyone have any ideas what the hell might be the cause? I'm so mad right now...

Could you have accidentally dragged and dropped them somewhere else? I'm forever doing that with Firefox.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:Could you have accidentally dragged and dropped them somewhere else? I'm forever doing that with Firefox.

Well, I wasn't the last person to use the computer, my wife was, and she used one of the link in one of the folders that was erased. She says she only clicked on this site and then logged off. She's pretty computer literate so I really don't think she may have done anything. Seems like it must have gotten corrupted somehow... To be safe, I ran malware, spyware, and anti-virus detectors the did a disk cleanup, defrag, and then checkdiskl; everything came up OK. Oh well. At least now I'll make backups of "that" html file:).
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Well, I wasn't the last person to use the computer, my wife was, and she used one of the link in one of the folders that was erased. She says she only clicked on this site and then logged off. She's pretty computer literate so I really don't think she may have done anything. Seems like it must have gotten corrupted somehow... To be safe, I ran malware, spyware, and anti-virus detectors the did a disk cleanup, defrag, and then checkdiskl; everything came up OK. Oh well. At least now I'll make backups of "that" html file:).

If you have not restarted Firefox since you noticed the problem (unlikely since you've done all these diagnostics, but maybe you'll be lucky), there may yet be hope. Mozilla family browsers automatically create 1 (yes, only one) backup of the bookmarks html file as bookmarks.bak in the same directory as bookmarks.html. You may be able to recover the lost bookmarks from that backup file.

There may also be a bookmarkbackups directory alongside those two files, with more copies. Depending on what happened, you may not be able to plug the backups in directly, but you can at least harvest the names and URLs from the backup files.
Quote:Kp' date='Dec 23 2006, 07:35 AM' post='122650']
If you have not restarted Firefox since you noticed the problem (unlikely since you've done all these diagnostics, but maybe you'll be lucky), there may yet be hope. Mozilla family browsers automatically create 1 (yes, only one) backup of the bookmarks html file as bookmarks.bak in the same directory as bookmarks.html. You may be able to recover the lost bookmarks from that backup file.

There may also be a bookmarkbackups directory alongside those two files, with more copies. Depending on what happened, you may not be able to plug the backups in directly, but you can at least harvest the names and URLs from the backup files.

I was an idiot and started editing the Bookmarks the second I saw there were folders missing. I'm sure if these "altered" bookmarks html saved, it will overwrite the old one :(. Nonetheless, I'll have a look see anyhow and see if I can make some sort of recovery. I can't even remember 1/2 the sites that went missing. Oh well, how important could they have been then?
This happened to me too. Unforunately, I just recovered from a backup somewhere, so I don't know. Very annoying. I think it's because of some update.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)