The Fox and the Wikipedia and the CIA.
Found this surfing, not 100% on it's legitimacy, but the links seem factual. If so, it's the first strong evidence I've seen to support the "Wikipedia is not to be trusted" crowd.

Quote:It’s been a rough week for our ol’ friends at Fox News. Thanks to some IP-address based research, the political world learned that the FNC was responsible for “touching up” Wikipedia pages, editing content that didn’t fit with the partisan network’s political agenda.

For example, embarrassing content from Media Matters about FNC personalities was quietly removed. Criticism of Keith Olbermann and Al Franken was accenuated. The network that specializes in on-air propoganda had taken its usual schtick to Wiki pages.

With that in mind, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Fox News’ Chris Wallace — you guessed it — sought to undermine Wikipedia’s credibility with a report tonight. The irony is rich. Pay particular attention to the references to “self-serving agendas” and businesses desperate to “improve their public image.”

Fox News tried to exploit Wikipedia, and got caught, so naturally it’s time to undermine the source of the network’s embarrassment. Typical.

Video

But Fox"News" wasn't alone. Changes to entries for the Iraq war and Guantanamo have been traced back to CIA and FBI computer systems.

Link

Another entry on former CIA chief William Colby was edited by CIA computers to expand his career history and discuss the merits of a Vietnam War rural pacification program that he headed.

Aerial and satellite images of the U.S. prison for terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, were removed using a computer traced to the FBI, WikiScanner showed.

CIA spokesman George Little said he could not confirm whether CIA computers were used in the changes, adding that "the agency always expects its computer systems to be used responsibly."

Cheers,
~Frag B)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:Found this surfing, not 100% on it's legitimacy, but the links seem factual. If so, it's the first strong evidence I've seen to support the "Wikipedia is not to be trusted" crowd.
Cheers,
~Frag B)

I love the Fox reaction: "Oh, yeah? Don't want to say nice things about us? Fine! We don't need your stupid website! You're ugly and stupid and you smell bad! Everyone thinks so. Neener neener neener!"

-Jester
Quote:Found this surfing, not 100% on it's legitimacy, but the links seem factual. If so, it's the first strong evidence I've seen to support the "Wikipedia is not to be trusted" crowd.
Cheers,
~Frag B)

The info in the link doesn't seem too Earth shattering IMO. Just typical adding info. Only the removal of pictures of the prison seems to conflict with wiki, but falls inline with CIA policy. I didn't see the video link.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:The FBI did not have an immediate response.
Hmm. I've always interpreted that line in any news article as "they responded, but not in a way that is helpful for this particular news article".

But hey, it's not just sleazy news corporations and government agencies involved:)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Hmm. I've always interpreted that line in any news article as "they responded, but not in a way that is helpful for this particular news article".

But hey, it's not just sleazy news corporations and government agencies involved:)
Guess not, now it's gov't agencies, sleazy news corps and even sleazier video game producers. :P

~Frag B)
Quote:Guess not, now it's gov't agencies, sleazy news corps and even sleazier video game producers. :P

~Frag B)
It would be so much easier if history didn't need to be rewritten.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:It would be so much easier if history didn't need to be rewritten.
*mumbles something about the 'winning' side...

~Frag :whistling: