Strafe server-side speed bug
Hi all, been a long time since I posted around these parts!

Some discovery and testing found a bug in server-side Strafe speed. Here's a link to the technical discussion of the bug at the Amazon Basin:

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=77351

All x/2 Strafe speeds do not exist server-side. The server always fires Strafe at 3 frames per arrow even though the client shows 2. Same is true for crossbows at speeds of 4.5, 3.5, and 3; crossbow Strafe only ever goes at x/5 and x/4.

If you equip gear for an apparent 8/2 or 7/2 Strafe, you will:
- while you hold down Strafe, actually fire only 8 arrows per cycle instead of 10. The last two arrows will never launch because the next Strafe cycle interrupts them.
- when you release Strafe, incur up to 9 extra frames of strafelock while the server finishes the strafe cycle.

This explains a great deal of the apparent problems with Strafe hit detection.
Wouldnt let me start a new topic, so just wanted to see if you guys could respond from this thread...

last night I'm playing on US East closed HC realm, with my friend in the same room, same network, diff cd keys of course, just like we have countless times for years...... and throughout all of our games, he kept geting the notification that my account had logged off, (through the friends list messenger, etc)while I was still in the game with him, gaining exp, etc......no one else has access to my account, and nothing ever seemed weird, except the fact that it kept notifying him that I had logged off, this happening at random times, and didnt matter who created game, etc. The only other thing out of sorts was that after EVERY game it would take me all the way out to the original log on screen, where I could log back on and select my char. who had gained exp and stayed in the game, after the server had repeatedly said I had logged off.......any clue on wtf is causing that???
Quote:Hi all, been a long time since I posted around these parts!

Some discovery and testing found a bug in server-side Strafe speed. Here's a link to the technical discussion of the bug at the Amazon Basin:

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=77351

All x/2 Strafe speeds do not exist server-side. The server always fires Strafe at 3 frames per arrow even though the client shows 2. Same is true for crossbows at speeds of 4.5, 3.5, and 3; crossbow Strafe only ever goes at x/5 and x/4.

If you equip gear for an apparent 8/2 or 7/2 Strafe, you will:
- while you hold down Strafe, actually fire only 8 arrows per cycle instead of 10. The last two arrows will never launch because the next Strafe cycle interrupts them.
- when you release Strafe, incur up to 9 extra frames of strafelock while the server finishes the strafe cycle.

This explains a great deal of the apparent problems with Strafe hit detection.

I was talking about this the other day. Is this problem only present in the latest patch or was 1.10 and earlier effected too?
I have not tested any earlier patch. I'd be very surprised if 1.07 through 1.10 behaved any differently than 1.11, though.

The bug might not exist in 1.06 and earlier (pre-expansion) as the speed mechanics were different then, without any cap on IAS. I'm not particularly inclined to reinstall D2 to test an 8 year old patch, though.:)