Diablo will not play
The other thread is old and getting ignored, so I thought I'd try a fresh one.

Diablo will not play. It installs fine, but when I go to play it asks for the CD.

Compatibility mode doesn't fis this. Ripping the disc and mounting it via Daemon doesn't work. Some minor registry tweaks (including another drive) doesn't work.

Could someone please tell me how to fix this? I've searched the problem, and it known, but I can't find an answer.
Hi,

Quote:The other thread is old and getting ignored, so I thought I'd try a fresh one.
It isn't getting ignored. It's simply that no one has any new ideas. No matter how many times you ask, if we don't know, we can't answer. I'm sorry that your machine/disk/OS/whatever will not let you run Diablo. I'd love to help, and so would just about any Lurker if for no other reason than to show how brilliant we are. But spamming your question isn't going to help. Sorry.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
It isn't getting ignored. It's simply that no one has any new ideas. No matter how many times you ask, if we don't know, we can't answer. I'm sorry that your machine/disk/OS/whatever will not let you run Diablo. I'd love to help, and so would just about any Lurker if for no other reason than to show how brilliant we are. But spamming your question isn't going to help. Sorry.

--Pete

One of the reasons I started a new thread was because someone in the other thread told me to. I'm not trying to spam.

I understand that people have figured this out, but that the solution hasn't been well documented.

In the future, I ask that you not antagonize people just for asking a question.
Hi,

Quote:In the future, I ask that you not antagonize people just for asking a question.
In the future, I will ask that you don't be an idiot and re-ask the same questions. Why doesn't Diablo run for you? Let's look at your posts so far:

Quote:So Diablo doesn't work. Period. When I open it, the game keeps saying that there is no cd.

I tried minor Reg tweaks, I tried ripping my cd and mounting it via DaemonTools. I tried more tweaks. Google turns up nothing. Forum searches also turn up no answers.

Can someone please help me with this?

---

The CD itself works. I can browse to it and such (worth stating that it is the legit CD, not a burn).

I was going to post a new topic, but you have to reply to something before you can post (forum rules). I figured 2 bird with one stone.

I haven't tried reinstalling it yet, but I've gathered that that hasn't been terribly helpful for others who have problems running it. I'll give it a try though.

---

But the question is how do I fix it.
Note: you don't specify computer type, we have to infer that it's a PC from the fact that you speak of Reg tweaks. You don't specify system, could be anything from 95 to Vista (again, inferred from your mention of a registry). You give only the faintest hint of the error, no error message, no details. But you expect us to help, then spam when we can't and get offended when someone points out that you're behaving like a spoiled brat.

Now, tell me again why *I* should research *your* problem?

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:I understand that people have figured this out, but that the solution hasn't been well documented.

There are two solutions to this. One is to disable the CD check entirely. This is commonly known as a "CD crack" and is generally associated with illegal copying. As such, you won't get any help here finding or creating such a crack.

The other is to fix the problem. Like Pete said, you're not doing anything to help us help you. Let's start with some basic system information:

How old is your system? What optical disk reader are you using? How did you create the image that you fed to Daemon Tools? What operating system are you running? Do you have the latest patches from your operating system vendor? Are you using the latest version of Diablo? Can you run other CD-bound games correctly, such as Starcraft or Diablo II? Have you ever been able to run Diablo or any other CD-bound games on this system? That is, did you obtain a system and find that it doesn't work or did you get up one day and find that the system no longer worked? You speak of compatibility modes, but it's not at all clear whether you're turning them on, turning them off, or trying both ways. You don't say which compatibility modes you tried.

These are the types of things you need to think about and volunteer whenever you ask for help with a problem. Not everyone is gracious enough to spend time articulating the questions you should've answered to begin with.

With regard to "antagonizing people": leave such policing to the moderators. Pete is a well respected member here, and I can't recall ever seeing him lay into someone and thinking that it wasn't well deserved. If someone goes over the line, the moderators will step in and remark on the thread or edit the posts as appropriate.
I don't feel you're spamming but as the others stated we can only do so much with what information is provided for us. You may feel Pete is antagonizing or coming off gruff but I'd imagine he's just frustrated by a second posting without providing information on system specifics and claiming were just sitting back on our thumbs ignoring people with problems. Like he said, we'd love to help, but we don't always have the solution. Pete is a respected member here like Kp said, and has some well thought out and intelligent postings here, I've read some. Not so much trying to defend, I've collided with Pete once before myself, mistaking a mere analyse as an attack. We all just need to keep our tempers cool, I'm a bad one for that though. I know if someone originally had asked these questions this could have been avoided.

Quote:One of the reasons I started a new thread was because someone in the other thread told me to. I'm not trying to spam.

I understand that people have figured this out, but that the solution hasn't been well documented.

Ignoring the other 3 posts, which are not constructive to the problem...

I'm running a fairly new computer (AMD dual core, 4 GB ram, GeForce 9600 GT, tons of HDD space). I'm running Win XP on it, with 2 LG DVD drives (Rom and a Ram).

I'm also running dual displays, although I tried disabling the secondary monitor.

Other CD games do work (I was playing Diablo 2 yesterday).

When I tried Daemon tools, I ripped my CD into an ISO (I tried a few different programs).

I've tried XP, 95, and 98 compatibility modes.

I've also done registry tweaks to change which drive Diablo is pointing at.

Incidentelly, I also tried it on a Linux install using Wine.

Auto Play works. The Install works. The game asks for the CD.

And the reason I didn't post any specs before was because every instance of this problem I'd come across referred to newer computers running Windows XP.
What error message are you getting exactly?

Depending on what registry edits you did, you may have messed something up. If you want to run it from an ISO, then you should mount the ISO image and install the game from that mount.

The reg edit itself was just changing which drive it's pointing at. Nothing big.

I'll try the ISO install later. I'm out of town for the weekend. I'll let you know if anything takes after I get back.
Quote:Hi,

--Pete
Pete is exactly right. but the question asker is right too, in a way. (other than spamming the question, hes right.) i couldnt get the ripping method to work, but i think thats because i used shortcuts. (the no disk method)

Salutations Fellow Lurkers,
Aogon
[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=7]

Aogon(LGT) - Leader of a clan on b.net where the we are tring to revive D1 the way its supposed to be played! ALL YOUR DUPES CANNOT SURVIVE MAKE THEIR TIME. LEGIT clan (LGT)