Problems updating Windows Xp
Me again with a computer related question. I just reinstalled Windows XP on my computer (Home Editon) one a brand new discdrive. Everything went smooth and I went updating Windows and it installed SP3. After that I updated the graphics drivers and made small changes to things such as how folders are shown, the desktop and so on. All normal settings one can easily change, nothing strange. I also installed a new browser since I rarely use IE.

Then I went to Windows update again to see if there were more updates and I find about 10 updates for Windows and there is also a few availabel for hardware and programs (I skip them for now although it won't change anything). The problem is, I can't install the patches! They download and then when they are to be installed it simply says that "the folowing updates could not be installed" and list all of the available updates (or if I pick some single ones, it list the ones I picked). I just can't update anything it seems. Any clues? Suggestions?

I noticed that when I first contacted Windows update, while downloading them, the icon in the tray told me that there were updates avilable for installation (from the automatic update). COuld that have conflicted in me visiting Windows Updatemanually? By the way, with the Automatically install new updates on, when I turn the computer off and it tries to install the updates, it simply abort on the first one and close down the computer- The updates aren't installed that way either. I have tried deactivating the "update automaticall2 and trying to visit Windows Update but it stil doesn't work.

Thanks for any input or advice from anyone.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Isn't it good when one can reply with the answer to ones own post:)

Problem is now solved. Seems it is an issue of the Windows Update
Agent/Client not installing/registering the associated .dll files properly.

The solution was to running the following:

regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuweb.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wups.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuapi.dll
net start wuauserv

After a reboot, the updates installed properly and I have also been able to download further updates both automatically and manually.

So problem solved, sorry to bother you all.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:Isn't it good when one can reply with the answer to ones own post :)

Problem is now solved. Seems it is an issue of the Windows Update
Agent/Client not installing/registering the associated .dll files properly.
I'm glad the problem is fixed. What led you to your solution? And what is your (or anyone's) experience with SP3? I have a disc with SP3 on it, but I am afraid it will fail to install on my system.

"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:I'm glad the problem is fixed. What led you to your solution? And what is your (or anyone's) experience with SP3? I have a disc with SP3 on it, but I am afraid it will fail to install on my system.

I found an updatelog in the windows folder and looked at it noticing an errorcode and message. I searched for it and found the solution I posted here.

I really have not tried SP3 until now. I was running SP2 with some updates before I reinstalled so I can't comment on that. I think for the most part, it is just a colection of all old patches. There were supposedly just a few new things added so I think it should install on any computer that would handle XP before.
The reason I think SP3 would fail to install is that I have very little free space on the OS partition, 775 MB to be exact. I would love to back up the system and restore the OS to a larger partition, but I don't have any good software to back up the partition and I currently have no place to put the data.
Hi,

Quote:I would love to back up the system and restore the OS to a larger partition, but I don't have any good software to back up the partition and I currently have no place to put the data.
I have found that the ntbackup that hides out on the XP Home edition CD is a decent backup program. I use it pretty much weekly to back up my systems, and, yes, I've run a test restore:)

Can't really help you with a place to put the data, though. Maybe an external hard drive? I use an external, bare bones, Maxtor 500 GB US drive and it seems to work fine. Cost something like $120US with shipping from newegg about six months ago, so they're probably giving it away by now;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Cost something like $120US with shipping from newegg about six months ago, so they're probably giving it away by now;)

--Pete

I purchased a 400GB SATA hdd from my local Microcenter about a year ago for $100+. I was walking around there yesterday and they were around $80. I cannot wait until SSD's are worth the same per gb. Soon thereafter Holographic Drives will be available, hopefully.
Quote:I found an updatelog in the windows folder and looked at it noticing an errorcode and message. I searched for it and found the solution I posted here.

I had the exact same problem as you when I installed XP Pro on my new computer and went through the same hurdles. Windows Update went fine until SP3 came around, after which all Windows Updates were borked until I searched the Windows Knowledge Base for a solution.

It was kinda infuriating.
Quote:It was kinda infuriating.

De-lurking to /comfort

As a die-hard Mac user it's threads like this one that make me appreciate my OS of choice that much more:)

It's a good thing you'll never now about how the update from Mac OS 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 got hung up and left my machine dead for about 30 minutes. It would totally ruin my feeling of well-deserved superiority.
:ph34r:

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Hi,

Quote:It's a good thing you'll never now about how the update from Mac OS 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 got hung up and left my machine dead for about 30 minutes. It would totally ruin my feeling of well-deserved superiority.
It's an oldie, but Every OS Sucks. :D

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
It's an oldie, but Every OS Sucks. :D

--Pete

Thanks for that, made me smile:)

Also, it's the truth!
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:I had the exact same problem as you when I installed XP Pro on my new computer and went through the same hurdles. Windows Update went fine until SP3 came around, after which all Windows Updates were borked until I searched the Windows Knowledge Base for a solution.

It was kinda infuriating.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. The day after I posted above, the primary hard drive in this computer died. No, I didn't have a backup, as I already said. The floppy drives don't seem to be working. I found the empty case to my DOS backup boot CD but the disc was missing. On a clear disc you can seek forever. Fortunately I eventually found the DOS CD and after many trials I was looking at a DOS prompt. I ran FDISK on the new hard drive and formatted a FAT partition. Once I could boot from the hard drive I installed XP on the FAT partition so that I could make a 4k cluster size partion for the real installation of XP. I had to call Microsoft to get XP activated. Then it came time to install SP3. Odd, for some strange reason the subsequent updates did not install. Once again Jarulf and the Lurker Lounge have saved the day.

Now if only my original WoW installation DVD had worked...

Quote:Now if only my original WoW installation DVD had worked...
Can you DL the 10-day free trial, and use your original CD key in place of the temporary one?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Can you DL the 10-day free trial, and use your original CD key in place of the temporary one?
No, just download the standard client program from Blizzard's website (with valid account) and it will patch and install all on its own. Choose either the original or BC version (depending on what you have) and it will download a 1.4GB file that sets everything up.
Quote:Now if only my original WoW installation DVD had worked...
If you can actually access the discs, then just copy the contents over to your hard drive and run it from there.

Did my last WoW install (Which comes on CDs, WoW and TBC both) with this method, and it took a lot less time than the CD install would take, copying time included.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Not knowing about the other options, what finally worked for installation were the CD's. Several patches later, what then remained was rebuilding the settings, UI and all the macros. For the most part each character took about two hours, but one macro took four hours to figure out again.

When I was more or less done configuring I wanted to back up my 8.97 gig WoW directory. Across the network the common.mpq file alone took two days to transfer. I eventually gave up. Copying the same WoW directory to another directory on the same machine (i.e. not across the network) took...I don't know how long it took. I was measuring the time but it was less than a bio break, on the order of five minutes.

I wish I could do something about the slow network, but at least I can play WoW again. I copied the wtf directory to the other machine.

The network is now almost two hundred times faster than before. It takes twenty five minutes to copy the WoW directory across the network and two minutes to copy locally.

The fix was A:\FORMAT C: /U /S and then some other stuff.