Path of Exile free to play in about six hours.
So... Vall Oversoul being Elementally Resistant, coupled with his waves of adds all "clustering" in spots where shield charge wouldn't take me sucked. I had forgotten that he was resistant to Elemental Effects, and at this point, I'm still needing to use Warlords Mark to get the Health bonus, So I couldn't make use of Frostbite.

Honestly though, That part of the fight would have been slow going, but the adds would just all run and group "around the corner" of the platform, and I was taking massive chaos damage from the constructs (I think that's what they are called) while trying to move to get to them.

I really dislike Chaos Damage as it is currently. It avoids ES, Armor seems to do nothing about it, and in your 20's you just don't see enough gear with Chaos resistance as a rollable attribute. The fight was infinitely easier on my Marauder.

But, I rolled through it, I ended up just suiciding tanking the boss down, and rolling with an extra life flask to get it done. I took FAR LESS damage from the boss with my Templar than I did with my Marauder, but the adds murdered me.

Act III, here I come, Elemental Resistances Maxed, now I just need to find some Chaos Resist.

EDIT:

A question. I've been enjoying my templar immensely, and I'm building him to use Enduring Cry as a source of DR from endurance Charges. I currently only have 3 endurance charges, as I'm fleshing out my life, HP, and Armor before I go rolling into pick up more endurance Charges from Passive Skills.

I have seen on the forums, people selling

"Koam's Sign"
Coral Ring

+Life (24)
+Str (I've seen 12 and 10)
Life Leech (2% on both I saw)
+1 Endurance Charge

It kind of caught my eye. Is this the type of ring that could last for a while? Or is it sort of a red herring?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
shoju Wrote:So... Vall Oversoul being Elementally Resistant

Yea, I'm not looking forward to this fight with my new FP Marauder. His DPS is insanely low for Cruel. Thankfully he's got over 2k life and good defenses, but lack of DPS can certainly be dangerous as well.

shoju Wrote:I really dislike Chaos Damage as it is currently.

Hah, everyone, well except for Chaos Inoculation builds, hates that damage type. If you're not close to any Chaos Res passives or don't have any Chaos Resist gear, you HAVE to stack a ton of life for Act 2 Merciless.

shoju Wrote:A question. I've been enjoying my templar immensely, and I'm building him to use Enduring Cry as a source of DR from endurance Charges...

I have seen on the forums, people selling

"Koam's Sign"

+Life (24)
+Str (I've seen 12 and 10)
Life Leech (2% on both I saw)
+1 Endurance Charge

It kind of caught my eye. Is this the type of ring that could last for a while? Or is it sort of a red herring?

Endurance Charges are amazing, truly one of the best ways to mitigate damage. Most people hate having to recast Enduring Cry and try builds without it. But if you don't mind keeping them up, you'll be very thankful when you get to Merciless.

As for the ring, it absolutely incredible if you have passives that support endurance charges and if you have max resist in Merciless. Most people use a ring slot for prismatic rings thanks to the +all res. I'd make sure you hit 80 to res all in Merciless before switching to the ring. But yes, it's something that you'll want if you can meet all other defense requirements (life/resist). There are better rare rings out there, but it'll cost you more than Koam's.
Koam's Sign is the best tank ring in game, period.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Anyone else trying out the races? I've played in a few and finally had a decent run of top 20 in my class. They're really a lot of fun and very intense. Would love to group if anyone is down for the party events.
Hit cruel, still capped on resists save chaos. Finally made a magic belt that had chaos resist on it. I've put some work on my gear. I'm definitely in a better spot on this character than I was on the marauder going into Cruel.

I'm at 1.1k HP, and I have an ES around 380 or so. Just picked up the ability to have a 4th endurance charge, And debating on which way I'm going to move on the passive tree. I could go up and start on the next shield cluster, that will beef up my ES a fair bit, as it's the cluster with 90% increased ES from Shield as well as more block. Or, I could start heading down towards Marauder territory, pick up Resolute Technique (probably should) and then move over and pick up the other endurance charge, and then head for the life nodes there.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(03-03-2013, 05:23 PM)shoju Wrote: Hit cruel...I'm at 1.1k HP, and I have an ES around 380 or so.

What is your skill tree at currently? You'll want to hit 1.5k life very soon.

I just did two party races with someone else and it was a ton of fun. Loved the planning and teamwork behind these races. Feel free to add me in game, our group is very casual so no worries if you're new to racing or the game.

When the forum comes back online, you'll want to read about the upcoming patch: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/213675 - seems like they'll be adding 3 uniques and one skill every week or so. That's great news!
My build

I could probably do with a few new pieces of gear. My Weapon, Head, Neck, Shield, Hands, have no +life on them.

My gear:

Head: Golem Ward, Inlaid Chain Coif - Rare
R-B-B
Quality +12%
Armour: 96
ES: 29
+1 Level Minion Gems (should make it nice when I outlevel and sell this)
16% Increased Armour and Energy Shield
+27 Max Mana
+8% Fire Resistance
14% Increase Rarity of Items Found
12% Increased Block and Stun Recovery

This dropped off Piety as unidentified, so I rolled it, and it was better than what I had

Neck: Lamprey's Onyx Amulet of the Storm - Magic Item
+18 Attributes
4% Physical Damage Leeched back as life
19% Lightning Resistance

Ring 1: Ghoul Coil ; Coral Ring - Rare Item
+30 Max Life
+22 Strength
Adds 7-10 Cold Damage
+3 Life when you kill an enemy
+24 Max Life
+14 to Energy Shield

This is an ilvl 44 ring that rolled perfect life. I rolled it up with an Orb of Alchemy that I got for selling a Rare Quiver. Seemed like a nice Bonus

Ring 2: Honour Eye ; Coral Ring - Rare Item
+30 Max Life
adds 5-13 Fire Damage
+15 Maximum Energy Shield
4% Increased Quantity of items found
12% Increased Item Rarity of items found

This is an ilvl 42 ring that rolled perfect life I rolled it with the other Orb of Alchemy that I got for selling a Rare Quiver. Getting 2 decent rings out of that quiver seems like a good tradeoff

Belt: Sanguine Chain Belt of Banishment - Magic Item
+17 to Maximum Energy Shield
+29 Max Life
15% Chaos Resistance

Armor: Storm Jack ; Full Chainmail - Rare Item
R-R-R-R B
Quality +20%
Armour: 223
Energy Shield: 67
+25 Intelligence
46% Increased Armour and Energy Shield
+23 Max Life
+22 Max Mana

I realized that my previous 5s / 4l chest was woefully lacking in armour and ES when I got into cruel. I spent a little time crafting this. It was +15% and white when I bought it for an orb of transmutation. One Scrap, 3 Jewlers, 5 fusings, and ~8 Chromatics Later I was done, and pleased. I know, I probably should have spent the time, but I felt like splurging on myself a little bit as a "HEY! You don't suck as bad as you thought you did!" present.

Weapon: Sorrow Weaver ; Iron Scepter - Rare Item
B-B R
Quality 20%
Physical Damage: 35-50
Fire Damage: 15-27
Cold Damage: 6-10
Crit Chance: 6.5%
Attacks Per Second: 1.39
10% Increased Elemental Damage
72% Increased Phys Damage
+24 Int
Adds Cold
Adds Fire
16% Increased Attack Speed
+68 Accuracy Rating

I found this with my Marauder a while back, and saved it, because I knew I wanted to roll an ele templar.

Shield: Eagle Bulwark ; Ceremonial Kite Shield
Quality: 20%
Chance to Block 24%
Armour 97
ES 41
+24% All Elemental Resistances
+12 Int
1.7 L/PS
+18 Mana
+10 ES
14% Lightning Resistance
Reflects 3 Physical Damage to Melee attackers

This was another thing I found on my Marauder a while back.

Rolling into Cruel, I'm still over the 75% on ele resists, and I'm -5% on Chaos. My Marauder does have a neck with a little CR on it. I just haven't decided If I'm "done" with the Marauder, and I would hate to try and bounce back and forth a necklace.

It's
Hate Collar - Onyx Amulet
+17 Att
Adds 4-7 Phys Damage
+12 Int
2% Phys Leeched as life
8% Chaos Res
9% Increased Cast Speed
(03-03-2013, 07:38 PM)MonTy Wrote:
(03-03-2013, 05:23 PM)shoju Wrote: Hit cruel...I'm at 1.1k HP, and I have an ES around 380 or so.

What is your skill tree at currently? You'll want to hit 1.5k life very soon.

I just did two party races with someone else and it was a ton. Loved the planning and teamwork behind these races. Feel free to add me in game, our group is very casual so no worries if you're new to racing or the game.

When the forum comes back online, you'll want to read about the upcoming patch: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/213675 - seems like they'll be adding 3 uniques and one skill every week or so. That's great news!

That would have been great, I did the noon Friday one and it was my worst experience grouping in ages, I can't even remember pugging in vanilla WoW being so bad Sad
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Nothing like being quoted to notice your spelling mistakes Tongue I'll send you a message Frag when we're next playing in a party race. Hope you or others can make it.

shoju, life should be on every armor piece by Cruel. The only thing I forgive life on is high movement speed boots. Btw, instead of typing up your gear, you may want to edit an old post on the path of exile forums and just link it there. For example this is my current Frost Pulse Marauder's gear at 51: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/109188

Although I plan to retire him- loving my new Ethereal Knives/Fire Trap/Bear Trap Witch Smile
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/113210

There is my current gear. I have a lot of gems shoved in it for leveling purposes. I'm debating going a more physical build, but that will really depend on how my damage fares as I get back towards bosses that are elementally resistant.
So I Updated my gear a little last night. I spent more than I wanted to making the helm. But the +Minion level thing on the helm was irritating, and I got this one from a Quest Completion.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/113210

I also swapped to the Chaos Resist Neck, and tried out the Upgrade Orb that takes a magic and makes it a rare. I did that on the belt, since I liked the belt. Needless to say, I'll probably be using those as currency, since I'm less than thrilled with the results.

Since I didn't have a lot of time last night, and it was really half playing while I did other things, I just spent it clearing some easy areas, and getting the Waypoints in the Passage after the mud flats.

I did have to take the Frostbite gem out of my gear, since changing necks left me 1 point under the Dex Requirement, and I wasn't going to spend a scouring to delevel it when I don't even use it right now.

I've also decided what I'm going to do as far as Passive Skill tree next. I'm going to go pick up the Divine Toughness Node, and then go back for the Shield Node.

I do have a question. Up my the Divine Toughness Node, there is a quick little 8% Chaos Resistance. Worth it? CR seems to be in short supply, and that seems like a free 8%.

Just not sure if it's worth a passive skill point.
(03-05-2013, 02:10 PM)shoju Wrote: I do have a question. Up my the Divine Toughness Node, there is a quick little 8% Chaos Resistance. Worth it? CR seems to be in short supply, and that seems like a free 8%.

Just not sure if it's worth a passive skill point.

If it's just a single node investment, it's probably worth it. Especially if you're currently vulnerable to chaos. If situations change down the track and it's no longer doing much good, you can always use a respec point or an orb of regret to remove the node.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
That's what I was thinking. I figure in a few levels (about the time I can get it) I'm going to be hitting act II, where Chaos Damage seems to be the most prevalent.

I have yet again updated what I have for sale,

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/145151

If anyone is playing default. I've tried to list only my rares 4L's, 5s's, and better gems. If anyone needs something let me know. I'm certainly not going to be using any of the Duelist / ranger / Shadow gear. They just aren't my cup of tea.

Next Question:
How do people deal with Elementally Resistant Mobs? Should I be looking to find more Life Leech elsewhere and switch over to Frostbite curse? Or should I Look for the Support Gems that go through Frost Resist?

For Single Target, when I run into a mob that's Ele Resistant, I can Spam Shield Charge to some success, but I don't have very good AoE for Resistant Mobs unless I switch over to Ground Slam.
shoju Wrote:Next Question:
How do people deal with Elementally Resistant Mobs? Should I be looking to find more Life Leech elsewhere and switch over to Frostbite curse? Or should I Look for the Support Gems that go through Frost Resist?

Generally people use Elemental Weakness. It's very party friendly since it reduces lightning/fire/cold resistance from mobs. You may want to level a Frostbite gem for solo play, since it lowers cold resistance and gives a chance to freeze.

*edit - didn't see your question about the 8% Chaos res node. Most people don't take them, but I do. They say it's better to stack life nodes then the 8% Chaos res.
I prefer using spells like frostbite and conductivity over elemental penetration support gems. Mainly because with the latter, the gem gets used all the time, even against non-resistant enemies. I'd rather use spells only when needed and save the support gem slot for something that is more useful all the time.

On a side note... My shadow just made it to Act II. So far, my initial plan for the build seems to be working well. I'm using Arc, supported by increased critical damage as my lightning AoE. For melee skills I have whirling blades supported by increased melee damage and viper strike.

Playing a shadow has been great fun. This is the first game I've ever enjoyed playing melee before.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Big Problem with Frostbite, is that I just don't have the ability to not use Warlord's Mark on something that I would need to Frostbite right now. Maybe if I can get some more Life on Hit / Leech, I might be able to swap over.

On the other hand, I've decided I'm probably going to be retiring the marauder. I'm not really interested in playing him anymore. I'm having more fun with the Templar.

I cleared Fetid Pools at 40. I only died once, Because that stupid Necromancer ran away from me, and I got trapped by a ton of Rhoas, ran out of mana, and couldn't get back to him to finish off the last ~10%
I should have known you fine folks would be tuned in on POE. I'm in as Tyrantico, currently running a mid-40s marauder and ranger of about the same level. Really digging this game so far.
Welcome to the Lounge. Hope you brought your portable bomb shelter. - Roland
I'm blown away how powerful lightning arrow is with support gems. I've played about a dozen different builds by now, a handful over 60, and this is by far the most powerful I've played. I'd imagine it to get even more crazy once I get four links or more.

I went with the popular ranger/blood magic combo, but I'm really tempted to go for shadow, dip into the top of the witch tree for EB, curses, and lightning shock passives. But then I'd miss out on iron reflexes, iron grip, and blood magic.

I expect to go far in Hardcore with this character!
Still trudging through, leveling slow. I played my marauder last night, got him to level 50. (made a church run, I love that dungeon) I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with him. Maybe I'll try and snag an Enduring Cry gem, and see if that makes him feel "sturdier". Right now, I can end up in situations where I just feel like he folds faster than the Life Leech could ever hope to work.

ON the other hand, I did pick up a few nifty pieces of Templar gear while I was in there, and then had some fun with my templar. I'm ready to take on Merveil, quest wise, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to take her on "mentally". The last time I was in there, was with my Shadow, and I just remember wanting to punch the screen because the transition to her second form was roasting me (adds, and Pathetic AoE). I don't think I'll have that problem this time around, but We'll See.

Question!
Zealot's Oath - Life Leech Applies to Energy Shield Instead of Life.
I've been thinking about this Skill a lot the past couple of days. How much Life Leech do you think you would need to keep up your ES well? I currently have Life Leech Support on my Glacial Hammer (which hits like a freight train) And Warlord's Mark. I'm hoping to get another Life Leech Gem so that I can put it on Ice Nova.

Do you think that it's possible to use Zealot's Oath with What I have, or should I start looking for more Life Leech before I try that? I like the idea that ES can prevent Stuns, and I would think that with Warlord's Mark, I should be able to do something about it, but I'm just not sure, if Life Leeching moving to ES will be a good thing. My ES still feels a little weak in some big packs. (1500HP, ~600ES, ~700Armor)

Gear
Tree

At this point, I'm picking up the last 8% life node, then the CR Node, then I would think about Zealot's Oath, or maybe just head right into the Shield tree. nearby, since that is holding 90% incresed ES from Shield, and I've been looking at some of the rolls that I'll be getting into soon for ES on Shield, and I'm /drooling.

Question!
What do people think of the Ele Resist flasks? I have a couple of them, including a Chaos Resist one. I was thinking about decking it out for Act II, since I'm still a little low on CR. By decking it out, I mean, spending the Glassblowers on it to make it 20%, and then rolling it until I get good Prefix/Suffix for me.

I have 21 Glassblower's right now, so Using 4 of them on the flask before I roll it isn't a "huge" loss, and I have plenty of Alteration/Augmentation shards.

I just figured it would be a good way to deal with a couple of areas in Act II that will be a little problematic (Spiders, Vaal Constructs). My whopping 3% CR after the penalty certainly isn't going to do much for me.
New skills in Beta; this week Incinerate, next week, Cyclone.

https://t.co/7JEB404gDm
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]