Cost of Gems
(07-01-2012, 01:04 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Really? I have a stack of 30 Flawless square Amethysts and no designs to get the best ones. I could get more by cubing up the lesser ones but I can't be bothered to get Tomes of Jewelcrafting. Those are too expensive on the AH, and farming hell is a waste of time. I did combine a few to get Perfect Star things to put in gear.

Tomes of Jewelcrafting are only expensive on the AH because of the viewpoint you share. It is trivially easy to farm them, but nobody can be "bothered" to do so. You might want to reconsider that, especially if you have any worthwhile gold farming gear. The ease of Hell difficulty, even with a full set of +GF gear, cannot be overstated for farming purposes. You might just find you can get enough Tomes to cube up your Perfect Squares into Flawless Squares, while at the same time earning more Gold per hour in the process. Besides, you could always turn around and sell the Tomes, thereby really increasing your GPH. Wink

For me, even getting 500k (or 600k) gold is a chore, so I have yet to upgrade to even a single Star gem. Frankly I just don't have the time to invest in this game right now, and furthermore the ROI - for me, personally - is too low to be worth it anyway.

Edit:
I should add I have no Jeweler Designs, and probably never will at this rate. Star will most likely be the highest Gem I ever acquire.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
But that's the thing. My only interest in better gems is when it's LOH. I have enough for Perfect or Radiant Squares if need be, but that's just so infrequent. (And the prices of ToJ is high, but also nobody is buying it either :p-- and the proceeds from getting Essences and selling them along with Tome of Secrets keeps my to inferno.) Maybe if I find a really good socketed item, I'll reconsider.

Then again I've sold a few items lately for a million gold or more so that changes my mindset.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Why do people who use the AH even need Tomes of Jewelcrafting?
Are people (who obviously use the AH if they're buying my ToJ there) really combining squares when Flawless squares are cheaper than the combine cost (let alone tomes).
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Yes, there is absolutely no point in buying them, especially when the cost of a flawless square is like 100 gold. :p Which is why the pricing is silly and it always shows 0 trades every day. Wink

The only issue is that square gems drop in inferno and ToJ do not. The result is just me ignoring square gems completely.
(07-01-2012, 02:52 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Yes, there is absolutely no point in buying them, especially when the cost of a flawless square is like 100 gold. :p Which is why the pricing is silly and it always shows 0 trades every day. Wink

I'm here to tell you I sold 50 at 1580g in the last 24 hours. They sell like mad at primetime.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
1580 per TOME? To make a 100 gold gem? I guess someone people fail at math. :p

Guess to act 4 hell. -_-;
They drop into the 1200s at night, but come back up into the 1600g each range at primetime.

I don't get it, but if people are buying... I'm selling.
(07-01-2012, 05:21 AM)Concillian Wrote: They drop into the 1200s at night, but come back up into the 1600g each range at primetime.

I don't get it, but if people are buying... I'm selling.

Probably people who have a lot of lower-level gems to combine into squares/flawless squares, and haven't bothered to look how cheap they are to buy outright, or, they're just completionists who want to make their own gems.

Whatever the reason, profit for you. Kind of like me selling a very crappy roll on my Bitterness pattern for 75K (level 31 legendary mojo pattern).
--Mav