Checkpoint Cheese...
I almost lost a character in hardcore today because I clicked resume game and a elite mob was there to greet me right in my face. Fortunately, a few backflips, my follower, a potion, and the battle.net server being cooperative saved my demon hunter. I can't imagine what would have happened had it lagged or loaded slowly.

That doesn't seem to be very cool to continue you off where you can instantly be killed. What kind of game does that? Or should I always join a public game to avoid this?

She's been a pretty lucky gal, surviving a long lag spike after a event that normally triggers a mob which got me kicked and this.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(05-30-2012, 09:45 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: That doesn't seem to be very cool to continue you off where you can instantly be killed. What kind of game does that? Or should I always join a public game to avoid this?

Either that or always start your quests from the beginning.

Even then I've seen some trapped waypoints in a fresh quest, trapped like could never even happen in D2.
(05-30-2012, 12:07 PM)FoxBat Wrote: Either that or always start your quests from the beginning.

This is what I always aim for after the first time I discovered the game will otherwise dump you in the middle of combat. It is not always possible, but I try to pace my game time so that I manage this as much as possible.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.