Danger, Will Robinson
My highest hardcore toon is currently at a checkpoint that takes him right inside the Vault of the Assassin on nightmare. When I log in it puts me inside the dungeon right at the entrance. This seems to be a fine safe place. However, leaving the dungeon never seems safe. Every time I try it in a fresh game the outside is trapped. Usually just by regular mobs which don't cause much trouble, but occasionally by champions. Once I had a champion pack that moving back to get space from took me right into another pack and it just became a huge mess. Luckily I was able to run back to the dungeon entrance (since nowhere else up top would be cleared for safety yet) and zone back in. Otherwise I might have died there. It seems that some checkpoints in this game are really dangerous for entering fresh games at. Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be wise to always TP and take a waypoint instead. Though I don't really know if those tend to be clear either.

So I'm curious, what other places have you found that seem repeatedly dangerous for whatever reason? Not necessarily that have killed you, but just things that will make you be extra aware next time around.
For absolute safety, always nuke your current game and start over from a fresh quest. This will ensure you never spawn in a dangerous area.

Kind of a big oversight for HC on Blizzard's part.
Honestly, I think it is a big oversight for anyone. I have picked up mid-quest a few times, only to suddenly load in less than comfortable locations. The previous games always saw you start back in town: I cannot understand why they thought to change it. I now try to time my play around finishing quests, to avoid the issue.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.