So how is looting handled?
I must admit that I've been avoiding following D3's development to try and preserve the surprise. Nope, didn't even attempt to join in on the free beta weekend. I like to keep a lot of aspects of the game a mystery.

But one thing I'm wondering about is how looting works; I didn't really like D1 and D2's free-for-all "grab everything you can" system especially when playing with random idiots. I did sort of like Guild War's assigning system, even if it did result in loot envy.

So from the people who got into the beta, how is looting dealt with?
Every player receives her own drop from every source of loot, which is invisible to and cannot be picked up by other players. (If you drop an item on the ground after picking it up, everyone else can see it, though.)

In short, there's no more snatching someone else's loot, because you can't even tell what if anything dropped for them.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
In co-op, everything you see on the floor is yours, including gold, and you have no idea what anyone else gets, and they don't see yours, unless you pick it up and toss it back on the floor.

There is a trade screen you can use, WoW-like, or, toss stuff on the ground, and it's free-for-all for the up to 4 people in the game.
--Mav
Actually better than I expected. While I liked GW's system the worst part of it all was watching my teammates getting assigned all the purple and gold drops while I was being lumbered with the cheap vendor trash.

Thanks.