Oh Lawd with these pet problems...
Okay, with my usual Summer hiatus coming to a close, I'm trying to get back into WoW via the freebie account perk before actually dropping cash on game time. My main is a Hunter, so I'm trying a Warlock to see if the changes to pet combat would completely screw me over. They have.

Why the hell did Blizzard have to completely mess up pet combat? As if the disappearing pet bar wasn't enough (Still somewhat of a problem with Bartender 4), but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The minor problem would be that since Assist stance blows I've been keeping my pet in Defensive only to have it reset automatically to Assist whenever the pet levels. That's something I can live with. What I can't live with is the fact that pets won't attack until I start attacking; no matter how many times I hit Ctrl-1.

Yes, the pet attack button starts flashing to indicate that my pet should be charging at the enemy or tossing fireballs or whatever, but it just sits there doing nothing until I make the first move. Now who seriously thought this would be a good idea? As a Hunter, sometimes I want my pet to attack something first. Sometimes I want my pet to aggro a bunch of mobs before I actually open fire on them.

Now I suppose I could get around this by body-pulling with the pet, but oops! The Move command doesn't work. At all. The target reticule pops up, but once I click on the ground my pet just sits there and stares blankly at me as if it didn't understand what I wanted it to do.

And after a fair amount of prodding to get my pet to attack I realise it simply won't stop until either he or my target is dead. Pre 4.2 getting a pet to stop attacking was simple: Drop the pet down from Aggressive/Defensive to Passive, something I've done so often over the years I can do it automatically before the party gets wiped.

I thought this was just a Warlock issue, but a few minutes with a fresh Hunter character confirmed my fears that pets are utterly broken. Perusal of the forums and WoW Insider have told me that there's no real workaround other than weaving /pettattack into macros or occupying more actionbar buttons with /pettattack macros. I have a button on my UI that's supposed to do that; Ctrl-1 on the goddamn pet bar. It doesn't work.

I've never really been angry about the changes Blizzard have made to the game, but I really am angry about this one. I want someone fired over this. I want the person responsible for this simply asinine change fired. I don't care if if it's just a lowly intern on his first week of work or Ghostcrawler himself, I want that person fired live on stage at BlizzCon with the audience encouraged to throw rotten fruit at him.
I have a frost mage alt, and I haven't noticed any problems. If I hit ctrl-1, I believe the elemental starts casting. I'll have to make a point of really looking to be sure, but it seems to be fine for me.
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
This sounds mod- or game-settings related to me. I have not seen these problems on my Warlock and can order it to charge into enemies without pulling them myself beforehand.

I hate to sound like an average World of Warcraft Game Master, but try disabling your mods to see if it makes a difference?
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(08-24-2011, 09:57 AM)NiteFox Wrote: Okay, with my usual Summer hiatus coming to a close, I'm trying to get back into WoW via the freebie account perk before actually dropping cash on game time. My main is a Hunter, so I'm trying a Warlock to see if the changes to pet combat would completely screw me over. They have.

Just to cover the obvious, are the characters you're playing at or over level 10? Pet behavior is massively different below that. If you're not 10 or above, your mods may be masking the fact that you don't have a pet command bar below 10.

I've experienced the pet-bar-missing bug, and pets seem a bit slow on the uptake now, but they do attack when I tell them to.

EDIT: If they are 10 or higher, have they trained the pet control skill?
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
The big problem with pets since 4.2

They die. in fire. Without Fire. While attacking. While standing still. Its as if the firelands raid puts a hidden dot on pets and they just die. It sucks.

The previous statement was hyperbolic, but does underscore the irritation.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I tested a bit tonight and my hunter targeting and pet attacking seem to be OK, though I miss the aggressive stance. I use a macro bound to caps lock to cast Hunter's Mark and send in the pet. I have another macro with a chicken to get the pet to stop fighting.

I always had found it annoying that when one changed stances the pet stopped fighting. I am glad to hear they fixed it.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."