Project: Diablo, the Way it Should've Been
Smile 
I had this crazy idea. What if, we sat down and wrote one of the biggest mods ever? Sat down and implemented everything that Blizzard didn't have enough time to implement, fixed most if not all of the nasty bugs that Blizzard just sort of forgot about and left D1 to rot, made it cooperate with v1.09, and best of all, got Blizzard's blessing for it?

It'd be a truly epic tribute to Diablo and it's 15th anniversary.

First of all, I don't know the first thing about coding, other than I dabble in a little BASIC, but I'd be willing to learn.

I understand that there's absolutely NO way that a mod of this magnitude would be able to get done within the time frame of Big D's 15th, but I do believe that with the help of my fellow lurkers, we'd be able to get it pushed out by his Sweet 16th. It'd be much better than a car for him, don't you think?
That's a crazy idea. Implementing everything Blizzard wanted? Diablo II and III should show you why that is a bad idea. If they had it their way as FIT would say, you would log in and send them your bank account information.

Have you played any of the many mods? I hear some of them are good.
That is very unlikely to succeed. Only some of the higher skill level mod-makers have the expertise to do what you want. Most of them have moved on, and those that remain are unlikely to have the time to help you anyway.
Amarksys,

Take a look at Marsh's work on Hellfire 1.02, and the corresponding projects that he references (the dark, the hell mods) I'm sure there are still interested parties who are doing similar work to what you're suggesting, I have actually quite enjoyed Marsh's hellfire update thus far.

Regardless, it's good to see the desire to mod and revitalize diablo is still alive and well, best of luck to you.

-Kal