Maximum Experience Limit
Having never played Diablo up to a level 50 character, I am curious why the maximum attainable XP is 1,583,495,809 while the amount needed to reach level 50 is only 1,310,707,109. Is there any particular benefit to continuing to rack up XP after hitting 50, or would it be appropriate to call this gap a bug? What happens when you reach the XP limit?
Quote:Having never played Diablo up to a level 50 character, I am curious why the maximum attainable XP is 1,583,495,809 while the amount needed to reach level 50 is only 1,310,707,109. Is there any particular benefit to continuing to rack up XP after hitting 50, or would it be appropriate to call this gap a bug? What happens when you reach the XP limit?

If I recall correctly that ammount of experience is what would be needed to reach the next level (level 51). The game will however not level you above 50 so when that happens it simply stops counting instead. I would call it a glitch. Either some error of comparing to 50 and comparing to >50 in some case or just someone thinking "lets at least count exp for another level so people have even more grinding to do to reach max":)

Anyway, no, there is no benefit at all except for your own satisfaction.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf, I was wondering how high you built a character. My highest is 41, years ago. I would like to build one to level 50 this go around but thats a long way off. I'm only closing my warrior on lvl 33 now. So I will save the file if I need a break from play so I can pick up where I left off.

I have a system now. My sorceror does 90% of the laz runs, cause its quicker with teleport. So he can do most of the item finds and my warrior will mostly just level up. Though my warrior did find the awesome full plate:)

I was also wondering. Do you still remember your favorite find for a: Bow, Armor, Sword and Shield?

or do you still have any screens to show your favorites? thanks

Quote:If I recall correctly that ammount of experience is what would be needed to reach the next level (level 51). The game will however not level you above 50 so when that happens it simply stops counting instead. I would call it a glitch. Either some error of comparing to 50 and comparing to >50 in some case or just someone thinking "lets at least count exp for another level so people have even more grinding to do to reach max":)

Anyway, no, there is no benefit at all except for your own satisfaction.
Quote:Jarulf, I was wondering how high you built a character.

I was also wondering. Do you still remember your favorite find for a: Bow, Armor, Sword and Shield?

I got a Sorcerer to level 50, a warrior to level 47 (or 48) and a Rogue to 35 or so. I also had a bunch of chars up to about level 25. Those were all played properly in the game.

I then, also hade a test char made up for testing while writing the Guide, it had any level you can possibly think of:)I guess that doesn't count though.

No idea of favorite finds. Can't recall much but a king's sword of speed and a good awesome full plate of some sort I think I had. I also had a good emeral shield of stars or whatever is the max one can have. I think it was cool. For jewlery, I had almost every combination usefull were prefix or suffix was of highest type and the other of next highest. So a Dragon's of Heavens for example or a drake's of wizardry/zodiak or a obsidian of sorcery. I also had some were both was of highest quality but never one of the obs/zod or drag/wiz for example. I might still have the files at home to check. I also found all "usefull" (up to debate which ones are) uniques, most several times. This all from memory so please forgive me if somehting is slightly wrong.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
so you did hit 50. Holy! I bet it takes a while.

Quote:I got a Sorcerer to level 50, a warrior to level 47 (or 48) and a Rogue to 35 or so. I also had a bunch of chars up to about level 25. Those were all played properly in the game.

I then, also hade a test char made up for testing while writing the Guide, it had any level you can possibly think of:)I guess that doesn't count though.

No idea of favorite finds. Can't recall much but a king's sword of speed and a good awesome full plate of some sort I think I had. I also had a good emeral shield of stars or whatever is the max one can have. I think it was cool. For jewlery, I had almost every combination usefull were prefix or suffix was of highest type and the other of next highest. So a Dragon's of Heavens for example or a drake's of wizardry/zodiak or a obsidian of sorcery. I also had some were both was of highest quality but never one of the obs/zod or drag/wiz for example. I might still have the files at home to check. I also found all "usefull" (up to debate which ones are) uniques, most several times. This all from memory so please forgive me if somehting is slightly wrong.
Hitting 50 takes a while, but its not really a big deal.....ive reached it many times. Got mules that are 50 now :P It does take a degree of patience and some time outside your life, but more then anything the last 5 or so lvls just become a bunch of repetitive hell/hell runs lol. Lvl 46 is about half way there or so.

Maxing exp, as Jarulf said, has no additional benefits for your char, but it is a strong testament in that you took a char as far as it could go so ultimatly it was a success. Ive reached max exp 3 or 4 times and dont plan on doing it again.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Quote:I would call it a glitch.
Thanks for that. I lowered the max to the same as required for lvl 50 for my mod: http://diablofixed.wordpress.com
Quote:I also had a good emeral shield of stars or whatever is the max one can have. I think it was cool.

I'm telling you - the newbs these days. From Jarulf's guide "the stars - occurrence A-W-BJ". The best you can find on a shield is the moon. Incidentally, an Emerald (or even obsidian) Shield of the Moon is impossible as well because the prefix is qlevel 31 and the suffix is qlvl 11.
Quote:I'm telling you - the newbs these days. From Jarulf's guide "the stars - occurrence A-W-BJ". The best you can find on a shield is the moon. Incidentally, an Emerald (or even obsidian) Shield of the Moon is impossible as well because the prefix is qlevel 31 and the suffix is qlvl 11.

I told you I have bad memory, all newbs do!:)
As I see just nothing happens at all. I have only one character maxed up at experience and nothing really changes.
Quote:I told you I have bad memory, all newbs do!:)

I guess that means it´s time for you to start playing again. By the way, why hasn´t blizzard hired you to work on D3, or have they?